Phytophthora Fungus Infects Vegetable Gardens Across the Country

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i saw this article and sent it to a friend in MO who hasd large gardens, she says gers are devestated from this. she lost her lettuce, beans, all squash, tomatoes, and more. her root crops were ok so far but its really put a hurt on her. so far ive not seen any here in central CO.. its si sad that at a time so many people have been trying to gorw some more, stock up cause things are so hinky and prices going up that gardens are getting hit with this. i hope its not impacted any here..

Phytophthora Fungus Infects Vegetable Gardens Across the Country

Shortages seem to be the theme of 2020 and 2021. Everything from meat to commodities and even semi-conductors made the list of possible or definite shortages. Now, the early onset of a fungus that attacks vegetables could leave us with no pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and no Jack-o-Lantern’s at Halloween!

What is Phytophthora?

P. capsici blight, unfortunately, has hit pumpkins early and hard this year, endangering the supply of commercially canned purée as well as jack ‘o lanterns. “Home gardeners may also see it affect their ability to grow tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and squash.” [source] P. capsici: infects pumpkins and other cucurbits, bell peppers, and eggplant.

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/vegetable-shortage-phytophthora/

1628537448606.png

Good to know. I just picked up 2 more cans of pumpkin at the store the last time I went. I'll be getting some more.
I like to make muffins, pancakes and sometimes cookies from it instead of pies

pumpkin muffins sound wonderful, im going to get a couple more cans this month too. great idea. i heck the way things are going i might get some cans of cranberry sauce too---what the heck maybe a turkey before fauci declares them covid infected or something.

Latest posts

Back