Pick a mess of Poke Sallet

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has anyone eat poke sallet ?
I eat it when I was a kid (or starve) . Best I remember I didn't like it.
I picked it then also.
So I know to get the very early tender leaves.

Now how to cook them.
Anybody got a good recipe to make tasty?

I was out riding around the farm this morning, and I am seeing it growing. Mostly along the creek.
IMG_20200422_105143970_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200422_105424467_HDR.jpg

I just might pick a mess of it Tony Joe White) and give it a try.
I never cared too much for any greens.
Only turnip greens with vinegar and hot pepper sauce , if cooked to death.

Jim

Polk Salad Annie; the original. Tony Joe White:

It is all about the pork fat, Trust me on this.

POKE SALAD​
1 to 2 lbs. Poke Salad
6 to 8 slices bacon
1 lg. onion
2 eggs

Pick and wash poke salad, bring to a rapid boil for 20 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold tepid water. Bring to a rapid boil, starting with cold water, for a second boil for 20 minutes. Again drain and rinse with cold tepid water. Now for the third time, starting over cold tepid water bring to a rapid boil for 20 more minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Let drain completely.
Meantime fry bacon and save drippings; set aside. Clean and cut onion in quarters. Take drained poke salad. Cook in fry pan that you fried your bacon. Add 1/4 cup of drippings and shortening from bacon. Add onion, 1/4 cup of water, salt to taste. Let steam fry until onions are sauteed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve and garnish with hard boiled egg and bacon.

Just came across this..learn sumthin new everyday

poke salad poke salat

Pokeweed is a nutritional This voluptuous weed is extremely high in vitamin A, and also has significant amounts of vitamin C, iron and calcium.
Poke salad or poke sallet?
young pokeweed leaves for poke salad poke salat

The term “poke salad” is actually a misnomer. Even though that’s what a lot of people call the most common pokeweed dish, its true name is poke sallet or poke salat. That’s because poke has been eaten for so long by our European ancestors here in North America. The word sallet comes from an older form of English, and refers to something like a cooked salad. So, now you know: “poke salad” is actually poke sallet.

Has anyone eat poke sallet ?
I eat it when I was a kid (or starve) . Best I remember I didn't like it.
I picked it then also.
So I know to get the very early tender leaves.

Now how to cook them.
Anybody got a good recipe to make tasty?

I was out riding around the farm this morning, and I am seeing it growing. Mostly along the creek.
View attachment 40306View attachment 40307
I just might pick a mess of it Tony Joe White) and give it a try.
I never cared too much for any greens.
Only turnip greens with vinegar and hot pepper sauce , if cooked to death.

Jim

We always boled it twice,pour off atfter each boil, then cooked it till done in whatever seasoning you prefer.Not sureif old wives tell ofit being poison if not cooke twice is true but why take a chance?

Just came across this..learn sumthin new everyday

poke salad poke salat

Pokeweed is a nutritional This voluptuous weed is extremely high in vitamin A, and also has significant amounts of vitamin C, iron and calcium.
Poke salad or poke sallet?
young pokeweed leaves for poke salad poke salat

The term “poke salad” is actually a misnomer. Even though that’s what a lot of people call the most common pokeweed dish, its true name is poke sallet or poke salat. That’s because poke has been eaten for so long by our European ancestors here in North America. The word sallet comes from an older form of English, and refers to something like a cooked salad. So, now you know: “poke salad” is actually poke sallet.

That is kind of like the name of the town i lived in in Texas.
The Towns name is Buda Texas Is is just south of Austin
It got its name by the mispronunciation of the Spanish word for Widow which is Viuda.
Story goes that 2 widows ''Viudas" made some mighty tasty Tamalas. The cowboys would buy them from the Viudas. Cowboys being cowboys called the ladies Budas and that is how the Town got its name

Latest posts

Back