Pickle Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Do you have a pickle recipe that you use?
I thought this recipe looked good. I am going to give it a try.

https://thestayathomechef.com/refrigerator-pickles/
Prep Time5 MINUTES
Cook Time5 MINUTES
Total Time10 MINUTES
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 English cucumber
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon table salt
  • 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 sprigs fresh dill
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Slice cucumbers or cut into spears. Place the cucumbers in an airtight container or use a mason jar.
  • In a small saucepan stir together vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Once simmering, remove from heat.
  • Pour mixture over cucumber in jar until full. Place the lid on and let cool to room temperature.
  • Once cooled, add in fresh dill. Refrigerate overnight before eating.

two cups of warm vinegar over pickle & teaspoon of salt with enough warm water to cover, seal jar.

My absolute favorite.
Lyn's Sweet & Spicy Pickles (Makes @ 7 quarts)

Step 1:
8 lbs. cucumbers, sliced and soaked in pickling lime overnight (I use Mrs. Wages.
1 cup lime to 1 gallon water til cucumbers are covered)

Step 2:
Important - Rinse cucumbers several times until the water runs clean/clear.

Step 3:
Drain cucumbers - let dry for 30 minutes.

Step 4:
Bring the following ingredients to a boil, then add cucumbers and cook 30 minutes or until the cucumbers turn clear (time will vary depending on the thickness of the cucumber - I have made cucumber 'chunks' or spears that require a little more processing time. Caution - do not confuse the tablespoon ingredients with the tsp. ones!

15 cups sugar
3 quarts white vinegar
5 Tbsp. salt
5 Tbsp. onion flakes
5 Tbsp. parsley
5 tsp. red pepper
5 tsp. garlic powder
5 tsp. turmeric
5 tsp. mustard seed
5 tsp. crushed red pepper
5 tsp. celery seed

Pack cucumbers and syrup into sterilized jars leaving about 1/2" head space. Seal & process for 10 minutes (pints) or 15 minutes (quarts).

Loretta Lynn's Dill Pickles in the Oven

This recipe was Loretta Lynn's , the country singer.

DILL PICKLES IN THE OVEN.

6 cups of vinegar.
3 quarts of distilled or osmosis water.
One third cup of pickling salt.
Garlic..... one or two small pieces.
Alum size of pea.

Mix all together . Put pickles and dill in the jars. Pour liquid to within a fourth an inch to the top. Put hot seal and lids on. Screw tight. Place them on a cookie sheet a few inches apart on middle rack. Cook at 250 degrees for 3 hours. Take them out and they should seal.

Loretta Lynn's Dill Pickles in the Oven

This recipe was Loretta Lynn's , the country singer.

DILL PICKLES IN THE OVEN.

6 cups of vinegar.
3 quarts of distilled or osmosis water.
One third cup of pickling salt.
Garlic..... one or two small pieces.
Alum size of pea.

Mix all together . Put pickles and dill in the jars. Pour liquid to within a fourth an inch to the top. Put hot seal and lids on. Screw tight. Place them on a cookie sheet a few inches apart on middle rack. Cook at 250 degrees for 3 hours. Take them out and they should seal.
I did try that one with the oldest granddaughter, since we could do while she was here for a visit and I really didn't want to have her helping me really can yet with her very young age. I think it was may be around 3. I was not impressed with it and had a lot of jars fail with the oven canning and the pickles were soft at the end. Maybe you will have better luck?

I did try that one with the oldest granddaughter, since we could do while she was here for a visit and I really did want to have her helping me really can yet with her very young age. I think it was may be around 3. I was not impressed with it and had a lot of jars fail with the oven canning and the pickles were soft at the end. Maybe you will have better luck?
My cousin's wife made them and I was so impressed with them. I got this recipe from her. She used gherkins. They were wonderful. I have not made them because I have not found gherkins.

Clausen type Pickle Recipe

2 dill flowers

2 garlic cloves, cut in half

1 ¼ pounds (8 to 10) cucumbers

6 long sprigs fresh dill

1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt

Put dill and garlic in bottom of canning jar; add the cucumbers; put the sprigs of dill in the center of the cucumbers in the jar. Add salt, fill jar with half water and half vinegar to within 1/8 of the top. Put on the seal and ring, shake to dissolve the salt, set upside down on counter, away from sunlight and heat. Let sit 4 -5 days, turning the jar over every day. Let sit upright for two more days and then refrigerate. Lasts about 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle recipe

Brine

4 cups water

½ cup vinegar, white or cider

Scant ¼ cup canning salt
1 head of dill

1 tablespoon minced garlic

A few red pepper flakes for spicy pickles, optional

1/8 teaspoon alum (optional, for crispness)

Cut off about ¼ inch of the bloom end and put in jar with dill head, garlic, pepper flakes and alum.

Pour hot brine over the top with ½ inch headspace and water bath 15 minutes.

Claussen Pickles are really popular, so I thought I'd find some recipes for them. I like to have pickles that are sliced lengthwise for sandwiches.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Copycat Claussen Kosher Dill Pickles

Ingredients

1 gallon cucumber

1/3 cup instant minced onion

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds

6 heads fresh dill

1 1/2 quarts water

2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup canning salt

Instructions

1. Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters; add to sterilized jars along with the dill.

2. Boil liquids and seasonings to dissolve the salt then cool.

3. Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days shaking or turning them occasionally,

4. Refrigerate for up to one year.

5. Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers as they are not waxed.

https://what2cook.net/copycat-claussen-kosher-dill-pickles/

My favorite and ohsoeasy.

7 cups sliced cukes
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups sugar
1 cup while vinegar
2 tsp salt
I tsp celery seed

Add sugar to vinegar slightly warm to dissolve sugar .
Mix all well, let stand 6 hours.
Ready to eat or freeze in containers .
Good for 12 months

Gooooood.

Jim

Be very careful messing with your electrolytes like that. "The salt thing again and again within minutes", and 1.5 gallons of water a day - the cramps may go away, but so could your "golden years". It sounds like you are going to extremes. If you're in constant pain I can understand wanting to try anything. But I assume you still want to live, so maybe do a little research into what you're doing to yourself here. Don't think that just because doctors have not solved your problem so far that they haven't thought about electrolyte imbalances. That's probably the very first thing they thought about. But gobbling down handful after handful of salt is not a valid treatment, which is why they didn't recommend it to you. It could be dangerous if taken to the extreme.

Good luck. I hope you get this long-running problem solved soon. That has got to suck to have to deal with this.
Claussen Pickles are really popular, so I thought I'd find some recipes for them. I like to have pickles that are sliced lengthwise for sandwiches.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Copycat Claussen Kosher Dill Pickles

Ingredients

1 gallon cucumber

1/3 cup instant minced onion

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds

6 heads fresh dill

1 1/2 quarts water

2 cups cider vinegar

1/2 cup canning salt

Instructions

1. Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters; add to sterilized jars along with the dill.

2. Boil liquids and seasonings to dissolve the salt then cool.

3. Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days shaking or turning them occasionally,

4. Refrigerate for up to one year.

5. Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers as they are not waxed.

https://what2cook.net/copycat-claussen-kosher-dill-pickles/
My favorite and ohsoeasy.

7 cups sliced cukes
1 cup sliced onion
2 cups sugar
1 cup while vinegar
2 tsp salt
I tsp celery seed

Add sugar to vinegar slightly warm to dissolve sugar .
Mix all well, let stand 6 hours.
Ready to eat or freeze in containers .
Good for 12 months

Gooooood.

Jim
Both of these sound so good. I’m going to try them both.

Both of these sound so good. I’m going to try them both.
Daughter has made pickles every year with friends. They get their cucumbers and dill from a farmers market and make a day of it. Last year they made 56 quarts total. I am thinking I'll do a similar pickle making day, with gherkins, if I can find them, and some sliced cucumbers.

Pickling spices! So few pickle recipes call for pickling spices, but we always used that when I was growing up. Last year, pickling spices were not easy to find.

https://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-garlic-pickles/
Homemade Garlic Pickles Recipe
2 heads of dill
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp. pickling spices
1 hot pepper, cut in two
4-5 cucumbers, sliced
1 cup water
4 cups vinegar
1/2 cup salt, non-iodized

Mix first three ingredients and divide in 4-5 pint-sized jars. Add 1 piece of pepper to each jar. Pack sliced cucumbers into jars. Boil last three ingredients and pour over cucumbers. Refrigerate several weeks before serving. Makes 4-5 pints.

My absolute favorite.
Lyn's Sweet & Spicy Pickles (Makes @ 7 quarts)

Step 1:
8 lbs. cucumbers, sliced and soaked in pickling lime overnight (I use Mrs. Wages.
1 cup lime to 1 gallon water til cucumbers are covered)

Step 2:
Important - Rinse cucumbers several times until the water runs clean/clear.

Step 3:
Drain cucumbers - let dry for 30 minutes.

Step 4:
Bring the following ingredients to a boil, then add cucumbers and cook 30 minutes or until the cucumbers turn clear (time will vary depending on the thickness of the cucumber - I have made cucumber 'chunks' or spears that require a little more processing time. Caution - do not confuse the tablespoon ingredients with the tsp. ones!

15 cups sugar
3 quarts white vinegar
5 Tbsp. salt
5 Tbsp. onion flakes
5 Tbsp. parsley
5 tsp. red pepper
5 tsp. garlic powder
5 tsp. turmeric
5 tsp. mustard seed
5 tsp. crushed red pepper
5 tsp. celery seed

Pack cucumbers and syrup into sterilized jars leaving about 1/2" head space. Seal & process for 10 minutes (pints) or 15 minutes (quarts).
I'm still working on getting ready to make pickles. I saw a bottle of pickling spices and thought it was interesting. I have had them in the past, but I didn't have any. I rarely use it. Here is the list of ingredients on the pickling spices bottle: cinnamon, allspice, mustard seed, coriander seeds, bay leaves, ginger, clove, red pepper, black pepper, cardamom, mace.

Since ingredients are listed on anything with the most of whatever being the first ingredient, and down, I was surprised. Cinnamon? Allspice? Clove?

I came to this thread to see if there were other spice lists and Dani's recipe listed the most. The spices in that are still interesting to me. Parsley? I wouldn't have thought of celery seed. It is all so interesting, and is a help to stocking up on spices for the future. Many spices last for a long time, while the herbal type like parsley, supposedly do not.

Edited!

Recipe my daughter got from friends who do an annual pickle making day.

Dill Pickles

On the bottom of quart jars:

1 large and 1 small head of dill

1 clove of garlic

2 teaspoons mustard seed

2 slices onion

Pack 1/2 full of cucumbers.

Add 1 more large dill and fill the jar to the top with pickles. Do not crowd them.

Brine

3 cups vinegar

3 cups water

6 tablespoons salt (1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons)

Fill jars to within ½ inch of the top with boiling liquid. Wipe the jar top with a cloth. Put caps on the jar, screwing bands tight.

Process 5 minutes (+ 8 minutes for altitude).

Last edited:
Daughter has been eating Clausen Pickles for a few years. They are not hot water processed, but are always refrigerated. She likes them because they are crisp. After she participated in pickle making with her friends, she told me that she likes to help make them, but is not so into the softer pickles. She wants them to be crispy. I bought some Mrs. Wages pickling lime for crispy pickles.
Alum, according to what I read is aluminum. I think I want to avoid using that. What about you? Do you make crispy pickles?

Daughter has been eating Clausen Pickles for a few years. They are not hot water processed, but are always refrigerated. She likes them because they are crisp. After she participated in pickle making with her friends, she told me that she likes to help make them, but is not so into the softer pickles. She wants them to be crispy. I bought some Mrs. Wages pickling lime for crispy pickles.
Alum, according to what I read is aluminum. I think I want to avoid using that. What about you? Do you make crispy pickles?
I never made crispy pickles. I do eat Clausen. Do they have aluminum in them??

It's really not a recipe, but I slice a gallon jar of dill pickles in to spears or slices. Then I fill a few pint or quart jars with pickle and jalapeno juice. Add the pickles, sliced habanaro, ghost, Carolina Reaper peppers with some jalapeno slices and whole little yellow peppers. Let it sit in the fridge for a few days shaking it occasionally. The pickles will take on a little heat.

I never made crispy pickles. I do eat Clausen. Do they have aluminum in them??
I don't think they do. They stay crisp because they are not processed. edit: Alum is something that has been used to help pickles stay crispy. I read about it, but haven't gone to the store and read labels of brands that have it and those that don't. From what I've read, using alum for crispy pickles has lost favor.

Clausen are half sour deli pickles I think, and there's definitely recipes for those out there, and no alum to my knowledge, the crispy is due to them being cold packed and refrigerated. Fun fact alum is used in stypic(?) Products to stop bleeding, it constricts the vessels 😜

Maybe say no to the aluminum in the crispy pickle recipe. I wonder if the Clausen recipe is available??
I doubt that Claussen would publish their own recipe, but there are always copycat recipes that people have created.

No alum in this copycat recipe. From what I've read, alum isn't used as much anymore. I know I have one in my spice rack, but it is probably really old. I put it in a spice bottle when I was working on my spice racks a few months ago, so no idea how old it is nor how long I've had it.

https://amandascookin.com/homemade-claussen-pickles-copycat/

Homemade Claussen Pickles Copycat​

Learn to easily make homemade Claussen pickles! This Claussen pickle recipe is a copycat of course, but it's hard to tell the difference, they are so good!

Prep Time25minutes mins
Total Time25minutes mins

Course: Appetizer
Cuisine: American

Servings: 23

Calories: 20cal

Author: Amanda Formaro

Ingredients​

• 20-25 small to medium pickling cucumbers
  • 2 quarts cold water
  • 1/2 cup white vinegar
  • 1/3 cup canning/pickling salt or coarse Kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon coriander seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 1 tablespoon dill seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic
  • Fine mesh colander
  • 4- cup measuring cup

Instructions​

• To make the brine, combine water and vinegar in a large pitcher. Add salt, coriander seed, mustard seed, red pepper flakes and black peppercorns. Stir until salt is dissolved. Set aside.
  • Wash cucumbers in water and trim 1/8-inch off of the blossom end of each one. Slice each cucumber in half lengthwise.
  • Divide the dill seed and dried garlic evenly between two clean quart sized jars. Fill jars with cucumber halves, fitting as many in as you can, they may be snug!
  • Stir brine again to mix ingredients. Place a fine mesh colander over a large bowl or measuring cup. Pour brine through the colander, catching the brine solids in the colander. DO NOT discard!
  • NOTE: You will not be able to fit all the water in this measuring cup or in the two jars. The goal here is to save the brine solids and use them, you will be discarding the left over vinegar and water mixture when finished.
  • Once all the solids have been removed from the brine, distribute them evenly among the jars. Using the brine liquid in the measuring cup, pour into the jars until all the cucumbers are covered.
  • Your brine level should cover your cucumbers and reach the bottom of the jar neck where the twisting begins. The cucumbers will also release some liquid as they brine, so don't overfill the jar. Discard any remaining brine liquid.
  • Cover lightly with a lid perched on top but DO NOT close and seal. Leave on the counter (out of direct sunlight) for 1 day, then move to the refrigerator for 2-3 more days, or until the cucumbers taste like pickles throughout.
  • Secure lids on jars and refrigerate for up to six months.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1pickle | Calories: 20cal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Sodium: 1647mg | Potassium: 199mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 0.4mg

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-alum-608508 Science
By
Anne Marie Helmenstine, Ph.D.
Updated on December 02, 2022
Usually, when you hear about alum it is in reference to potassium alum, which is the hydrated form of potassium aluminum sulfate and has the chemical formula KAl(SO4)2·12H2O. However, any of the compounds with the empirical formula AB(SO4)2·12H2O are considered to be an alum. Sometimes alum is seen in its crystalline form, although it is most often sold as a powder. Potassium alum is a fine white powder that you can find sold with kitchen spices or pickling ingredients. It is also sold as a large crystal as a "deodorant rock" for underarm use.

Key Takeaways: Alum​

• Alum refers to a collection of chemical compounds that are hydrated sulfate salts of aluminum and usually one other metal.
  • Common forms of alum include hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate, ammonium aluminum sulfate, and sodium aluminum sulfate.
  • The different compounds have different functions. Alum finds use in baking powder, as a tanning agent, as a deodorant, in vaccines, and as an antiseptic.

Types of Alum​

• Potassium Alum: Potassium alum is also known as potash alum or tawas. It is aluminum potassium sulfate. This is the type of alum that you find in the grocery store for pickling and in baking powder. It is also used in leather tanning, as a flocculant in water purification, as an ingredient in aftershave and as a treatment to fireproof textiles. Its chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2.
  • Soda Alum: Soda alum has the formula NaAl(S O4)2·12H2O. It is used in baking powder and as an acidulant in food.
  • Ammonium Alum: Ammonium alum has the formula NH4Al(SO4)2·12H2O. Ammonium alum is used for many of the same purposes as potassium alum and soda alum. Ammonium alum finds applications in tanning, dyeing textiles, making textiles flame retardant, in the manufacture of porcelain cement and vegetable glues, in water purification and in some deodorants.
  • Chrome Alum: Chrome alum or chromium alum has the formula KCr(S O4)2·12H2O. This deep violet compound is used in tanning and can be added to other alum to grow lavender or purple crystals.
  • Selenate Alums: Selenate alums occur when selenium takes the place of sulfur so that instead of a sulfate you get a selenate, (SeO42-). The selenium-containing alums are strong oxidizing agents, so they can be used as antiseptics, among other uses.
  • Aluminum Sulfate: This compound is also known as papermaker's alum. However, it is not technically an alum.

Uses of Alum​

Alum has several household and industrial uses. Potassium alum is used most often, although ammonium alum, ferric alum, and soda alum may be used for many of the same purposes.

• purification of drinking water as a chemical flocculant
  • in styptic pencil to stop bleeding from minor cuts
  • the adjuvant in vaccines ( a chemical that enhances the immune response)
  • deodorant "rock"
  • pickling agent to help keep pickles crisp
  • flame retardant
  • the acidic component of some types of baking powder
  • an ingredient in some homemade and commercial modeling clay
  • an ingredient in some depilatory (hair removal) waxes
  • skin whitener
  • ingredient in some brands of toothpaste

Alum Projects​

There are several interesting science projects that use alum. In particular, it is used to grow stunning non-toxic crystals. Clear crystals result from potassium alum, while purple crystals grow from chrome alum.

Latest posts

Back