Pig with tail bitten in two (and bleeding) other pigs think it's a chew toy. What to do?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This is my first batch of 5 pigs. I have a big male who's had half of his tail bitten off by a runt who keeps snacking on it. He's probably lost a couple cups worth of blood from the wound so far. It's not a steady bleeding but it's not going to improve.

I'm having a hard time keeping them separated since they can bust through the electric fence to get to each other. He actually wants to be with the others. The rest of the pigs are getting a taste for blood.

Is there a way to stop this?

A hard fence is the only way, pigs are well pig headed, once they decide something they are hard to reason with. kind of like libtards

you might want to make sure that the rest of the herd has their tails curled up, a straight tailed pig is usually ill.

Ok, offending runt is in the cooler (70 lbs live weight). The big one seems ok, but lots of blood loss so we'll see how he fares. He may end up in the freezer if he doesn't recover well. Was hoping to use him as future breeding stock, but that's how it goes I suppose. The ground where they like to root is hard frozen, so I guess they got bored and started tail biting.

Call a vet to see if it it's worth sewing him up and a shot of antibiotics. You can always harvest semen to use for future breading.

Purple antiseptic dip or spray for animals. Do not use red.

OR

Blood clotting powder, a bit of non stick bandage pad and gorilla tape if the bleeding is still a problem. If the tail is hairy, a shave so the tape will stick. You don't have to get the tape off, just let it wear off. Pigs heal fast.

Supplies at your local feed store or tractor supply.

Get Blu-Kote livestock spray. I've castrated 100's of hogs... quick cuts then the trusty blue spray. They'll heal fine. TSC has it on their website.

Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote Aerosol Livestock Wound Spray, 5 oz., BKA

blu kote.jpg

If you tape up the tail to stop bleeding try to keep it close to the body, pigs have very limited neck rotation or they would be a very dangerous critter. they can easily bite any thing parallel to the ground , but at much of an angle they are foiled, we learned young not to every try to kick a hog out of the trough to get them to back off so you could pour the slop , just find a different way.

Latest posts

Back