Pigs eating 5lbs of corn each per day. Normal?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have
-3 pigs in the 40lb range
-1 pig about 25 lbs
-1 pig about 90 lbs

Together they're eating 25 lbs of cracked corn per day out of the feeder. That seems like an aweful lot. Is something going wrong here?

The breed of the animal can make a big difference in what and how much is healthy for the pig.

I know I sound like a broken record, but he says it best.

A 50 lb pig should be eating at least 4 lbs a day up to around 5 lbs. There are guides for the total feed weight a pig should consume by the time it reaches slaughter weight. My recollection is around 700 lbs of feed total per pig but I could be remembering wrong. Are these pasture pigs? Pasture pigs will probably consume more and perhaps gain a bit slower depending on the weather in your area. I haven't dealt with pigs in many years, but 5 pounds per 40 lb pig per day doesn't seem out of line. The 90 lb pig will of course consume more...

Joel give 50 pig 2000 lbs per week that is 40 pound per hog per week or 5.714 pounds per day, with 1/2 acre of pasture, start at 10:00.
That is about what we feed per pig, but we did not have that many pigs.

1/2 acre per week per 50 hogs, half that(1/4) for 25 hogs, half that(1/8) for 12 hogs, half that(1/16) 6 hogs X 10 lots in rotation, has worked for many small farmer. Larger farms just turn 50 hog out on 5-10 acres & sale off anything that was not in the freezer or breeding stock. My Father ran 5 milk cows, 10 horses with 25 hog/pigs in a 10 acre lot & feed once a day, water all day. My Father worked night shift & did not live off the farms income, so that is a big differences.

1/2 acre per week per 50 hogs, half that(1/4) for 25 hogs, half that(1/8) for 12 hogs, half that(1/16) 6 hogs X 10 lots in rotation, has worked for many small farmer. Larger farms just turn 50 hog out on 5-10 acres & sale off anything that was not in the freezer or breeding stock. My Father ran 5 milk cows, 10 horses with 25 hog/pigs in a 10 acre lot & feed once a day, water all day. My Father worked night shift & did not live off the farms income, so that is a big differences.

You live somewhere that gets far more rain that anywhere I've lived. Those numbers would result in a dirt lot with starving animals or a huge feed bill at any of our homes, past or present.

You live somewhere that gets far more rain that anywhere I've lived. Those numbers would result in a dirt lot with starving animals or a huge feed bill at any of our homes, past or present.
When I first checked rain fall some years ago, I was shocked that the east coast gets more rain than some of the Midwest. I forget we do not all live in the same climate, when it comes to rain fall.

Latest posts

Back