Pizza pan

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found it. A cast iron pizza pan made for cooking outside. Lodge must have someone reading forums and YouTube comments.
Capture+_2018-09-04-12-58-16.png

I bought a Pamper Chef pizza stone from my sister's yard sale for $35. She never used it and now I don't use it. I like OP's Lodge Pizza Pan a lot. I wonder if they ever go on sale? I have a Lodge Dutch Oven that I've made pizza pies in using my oven.
I bought one many years ago that my daughter took and somehow in her life it went missing.

I keep mine in the oven. It seems that no matter what I am cooking, it works or can be worked around, or removed for the duration.

Mr. A. Brown of "GOOD EATS" on food network, said any 18 inch square clay tile will make a great cooking stone.
When MDW bought one for a song at a yard sale, I told her this & got The FACE!
The oven can be used for many things & it will last for 100 years, $130.00 is not to bad of a price.(IMHO)

Mr. A. Brown of "GOOD EATS" on food network, said any 18 inch square clay tile will make a great cooking stone.
The oven can be used for many things & it will last for 100 years, $130.00 is not to bad of a price.(IMHO)
That is about the size of mine, although I am not sure what it is made of. It has rounded edges and corners. With that size, it is hard to find a place to store it, and the oven seems like the best place, IMHO, and then it gets used and imparts a stable temperature.

I once cooked a pound of bacon in a dutch oven, outdoors, on top of hot coals, with hot coals on top of the lid. And in less than one minute, I burnt the bacon strips into non-edible greasy black bits. So much for bacon for breakfast that day!

I once cooked a pound of bacon in a dutch oven, outdoors, on top of hot coals, with hot coals on top of the lid. And in less than one minute, I burnt the bacon strips into non-edible greasy black bits. So much for bacon for breakfast that day!
I would think that you could cook bacon in a dutch oven, outdoors, on top of hot coals, BUT without the lid. Actually, bacon could be cooked on a little bit cooler fire.
We mostly cook bacon in a 400 degree oven on a sheet pan. I wonder how hot the inside of the dutch oven might have been. You probably did not measure the temperature, but I am careful not to have the pan too hot when I do cook it on the stovetop.

He said to make sure its an unglazed tile. That's one of my daughters favorite cooking shows.

We are considering building an outdoor pizza oven so the $130 would be cheaper. Annnd I kind of have a thing for cast iron. It can be used as a wok too..:D
I have thought that having an outdoor oven, even a pizza oven, would be a good prep to have. A pot of beans or a loaf of bread could be made in one, at the right temperature.

I have thought that having an outdoor oven, even a pizza oven, would be a good prep to have. A pot of beans or a loaf of bread could be made in one, at the right temperature.

That's why we were thinking of building one. With cast iron camping pieces you can cook over fire and make just about anything. Even breads.

In 24-28 month I hope to move, that why I do not have a DYI pizza oven now.
You can make a cheap one out of a steel 55 gallon drum, but I want the brick one that last 100 years.
It is good for bread too.

I use a terra cotta flower pot base for a pizza pan. Is pretty large. I can make a regular crust or a Chicago style in it. You have to season it like a cast iron pan. Never burns the bottom of the pizza. I run the oven in the house as hot as it will get and slide it in for a few minutes. Makes great pizza and it's a lot cheaper than the cast iron.

True, I have worked with Terra Cotta for 40 year, it is great.
But drop it & you are starting over, cast iron will last much longer
& can be used for so many thing including a make shift club.

I told hubby that this is what he(I) is buying me for Christmas.

I've used the tiles and I have a pizza stone but it is far to hot to use the kitchen oven most of the year. I do most of my cooking outside from Feb to late Nov. There's just no point in heating and cooling the house at the same time.

I use a terra cotta flower pot base for a pizza pan. Is pretty large. I can make a regular crust or a Chicago style in it. You have to season it like a cast iron pan. Never burns the bottom of the pizza. I run the oven in the house as hot as it will get and slide it in for a few minutes. Makes great pizza and it's a lot cheaper than the cast iron.
I like this idea. I used to have a glass pizza pan that eventually broke. That would be my concern for a terra cotta pot base, but it is something I will put on my list of things to look for.

I bought a Pamper Chef pizza stone from my sister's yard sale for $35. She never used it and now I don't use it. I like OP's Lodge Pizza Pan a lot. I wonder if they ever go on sale? I have a Lodge Dutch Oven that I've made pizza pies in using my oven.
I looked today, and it is not $130. It is $180. I still like the idea of just getting the base for $40, and not the top or lid.

What a great idea! I had been on a hunt for a baking stone for my oven. I don't use my oven much, but in the past when I made naan and pizza, a pizza stone was what I wanted. I finally found a used on for $10.
I like my baking stone ... the big drawback is that it takes forever for the oven to get up to temperature with the stone in there ... I haven’t timed it but it takes at least twice, maybe three times as long as an empty oven.

Before I got on KETO I made pizza for the family. Start with enough sourdough for a loaf of bread, a tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper mixed into it and then roll it out to about 1/4" thick and place it over two cookie sheets and allow it to rise covered with greased wax paper.. In a sauce pan combine one small can (6 oz.) tomato paste, 14 oz diced tomatoes Italian style, and a 14 oz can of tomato sauce. Add two cloves of garlic diced, a tablespoon of oregano, and a quarter cup of diced onion. Simmer the sauce and crush the diced tomatoes with a potato masher. Let it cool while you grate one pound of cheddar cheese, 1/2 pound of provolone and a pound of mozzarella. Slice a pound of button mushrooms, a pound of pepperoni, a pound of dry salami thinly. Drain two cans of sliced ripe olives. Cook 1-1/2 pounds of lean ground beef crumpled. Drain and let it cool.
If you want a hard crust bake just the crust at 425F for 3 - 5 minutes.
Ladle the sauce on the crust sparingly then cover with a layer of salami. Place a layer of provolone over that and place olives and mushrooms on top of it. Cover that with a layer of mozzarella and cover with ground beef. Top with a layer of cheddar cheese and cover with pepperoni. use a bit of crushed red pepper over the top if you like it. Bake in the oven at 425F for 10 to 15 minutes as desired.
Let it cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving it. Two pans will serve a family of six and you might have a little left over for breakfast for one. :)

Before I got on KETO I made pizza for the family. Start with enough sourdough for a loaf of bread, a tablespoon of coarse ground black pepper mixed into it and then roll it out to about 1/4" thick and place it over two cookie sheets and allow it to rise covered with greased wax paper.. In a sauce pan combine one small can (6 oz.) tomato paste, 14 oz diced tomatoes Italian style, and a 14 oz can of tomato sauce. Add two cloves of garlic diced, a tablespoon of oregano, and a quarter cup of diced onion. Simmer the sauce and crush the diced tomatoes with a potato masher. Let it cool while you grate one pound of cheddar cheese, 1/2 pound of provolone and a pound of mozzarella. Slice a pound of button mushrooms, a pound of pepperoni, a pound of dry salami thinly. Drain two cans of sliced ripe olives. Cook 1-1/2 pounds of lean ground beef crumpled. Drain and let it cool.
If you want a hard crust bake just the crust at 425F for 3 - 5 minutes.
Ladle the sauce on the crust sparingly then cover with a layer of salami. Place a layer of provolone over that and place olives and mushrooms on top of it. Cover that with a layer of mozzarella and cover with ground beef. Top with a layer of cheddar cheese and cover with pepperoni. use a bit of crushed red pepper over the top if you like it. Bake in the oven at 425F for 10 to 15 minutes as desired.
Let it cool 10 to 15 minutes before cutting and serving it. Two pans will serve a family of six and you might have a little left over for breakfast for one. :)
That sounds like a rich and delicious pizza. Have you tried a keto crust?

KETO bread substitutes are like civil defense crackers. They are edible but so is cardboard. I just can't do that to pizza... :(

Latest posts

Back