Place names

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George, Washington and Martha, Washington.
Imaginative ... no.

Near by I can make a right on Just About road if I go straight to 84 PA. Just About gets me to Bebout where Turkey Foot ends.

I live in Library PA which used to be Loafer's Hollow.

Ben

Don't know why, but I've always been kinda partial to:

1662676670383.jpeg

One Alaskan winter during the goldrush the prospectors pretty much lived off the ptarmigan. There wasn't much they could do when everything was frozen so they sat around drinking and decided to name their community after the bird that provided so much of their sustenance. One long night after another they argued over the proper way to spell ptarmigan. The community is still there. If you get a chance stop by and visit Chicken, Alaska. It was the only way to settle the argument.

Last edited:
I found this checking bluegrass festivals this fall. Two weeks from now there is a festival in the little town of Remlap, Alabama. More like a wide spot in the road with a stop sign.

The town was named after the Palmer family. But for some reason, long ago the locals voted to spell Palmer backwards - Remlap. (obviously someone peed in their gene pool 🤣).

There is even a Remlap Baptist church..

Remlap.jpg

This place has a neat story... on this road there is a church w/cemetery known by the same name. First, just the cemetery. Long ago summer tent revivals were held beside it before the church was built. In the deep south these events were sometimes called "a camp meeting".

Don't know when it started but today the church and the road are called bone camp.

Funny part, many decades ago the church members voted and changed the name of the church, gave it more tradition name. In my life I've never heard anyone refer to the church as anything beside "Bone Camp".

I guess some names stick... I smile if I drive by and see the big sign in front of the church with the other name.

(I avoid this road because of very bad curves and 200ft drops. when the sign says 10mph, they mean it!)

Bone Camp (3)a sm.JPG

I have been through Stinking Creek, TN. Don't really know how it got the name, but it may be self evident.

There is a Conception Junction, MO, but I couldn't find anything interesting about the name. It does raise some eyebrows. :dunno:

This place has a neat story... on this road there is a church w/cemetery known by the same name. First, just the cemetery. Long ago summer tent revivals were held beside it before the church was built. In the deep south these events were sometimes called "a camp meeting".

Don't know when it started but today the church and the road are called bone camp.

Funny part, many decades ago the church members voted and changed the name of the church, gave it more tradition name. In my life I've never heard anyone refer to the church as anything beside "Bone Camp".

I guess some names stick... I smile if I drive by and see the big sign in front of the church with the other name.

(I avoid this road because of very bad curves and 200ft drops. when the sign says 10mph, they mean it!)

View attachment 93964
Reminds me of Dead Horse, Alaska

I have been through Stinking Creek, TN. Don't really know how it got the name, but it may be self evident.

There is a Conception Junction, MO, but I couldn't find anything interesting about the name. It does raise some eyebrows. :dunno:
It is when the water is down.

I work with a guy that lives near stinking creek. Used to be lots of coal mining in the area. My bet is the name is somehow related to that

Latest posts

Back