Planning Next Season's Garden.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank-Girl

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Has anyone started planning what they are going to plant in their next garden?

Here it's the wet season so I have to plant traditional veggie plants like cabbage, capsicums, peas etc in the dry season when it's cooler, drier and the pest pressure is less.

I'm planning on trying new varieties of broccoli, cabbage, cauli and pole beans.
I may even try to push my luck and try a new variety of red brussel sprouts.

It's the only time of the year I can grow cucumbers,lettuce, zucchini and dumpling squash.

What are you planning on planting?

We won’t do a winter crop this year.
Our next garden time we’re planning on corn, tomatoes, pole beans, cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini, crook neck squash, several different melons and of course pumpkins for the holidays and dewormer/upset stomach/constitution remedy for the pets. Not sure what else yet.
Last crop wasn’t very good for most stuff. Just a weird year. Pretty much everyone we know had no luck with corn, peppers and tomatoes. Slim pickings in the freezer this winter.

We will plant our first crop of meat chickens in the spring and move them into the freezer right before starting some egg layers before it hits triple digits, hopefully. We'll plant the turkeys in May and meat chickens in Aug, just in time for the fair.

Ok, we probably won't plant the garden here again. We have been spending all our free time working on the mountain place. Our last garden suffered and didn't produce. Well wait until after we move and get started up there. We have plenty put back between canning, dehydrating and freeze dried stuff we've bought.

I'll be getting some seeds for spring planting for Christmas from my hunny. He'll take me to the feed store where I get them in bulk. I have plenty of stored seeds right now, but I like to try out new varieties. I've not had much luck with jack-o'lanter pumpkins but I can grow Cushaw and pie all day long. Spring I will plant my normal of a little of everything just about cause I like a nice variety. Hunny would just be happy with corn, green beans and peas.

Right now I have all kinds of greens, lettuce, a few peppers and tomato plants trying to hang in there.

We don't have as huge of a garden as we did when our kids were still at home so her won't be planting as much. Melons take up too much room, so we'll buy them. They're fairly cheap here. We'll most likely double our onions and beets. We'll put lettuce out, we gad a bumper crop last year. Tonatoes, pole beans, and okra. I grew cukamelon last year. They are a very tiny (marble sized also known as Sour Melon). The are vigorous climbers and crawlers though , I'll have to put them somewhere with more room. I had Red stemmed spinach that is also a climber that didnt do well for me, not sure why.

Over the weekend and last night, piled a bunch of leaves on the worst of my three garden spots to try and build the soil more. I have a lot of seeds stocked, but some are getting old and aren't germinating as well as they First thing to get ordered will be my onion set for next spring. I preorder now and they will deliver the week I request them. Then all I need to do is prep my beds for them. I harvested 4 bushels last fall. Still have about 1 left.

We will plant our first crop of meat chickens in the spring and move them into the freezer right before starting some egg layers before it hits triple digits, hopefully. We'll plant the turkeys in May and meat chickens in Aug, just in time for the fair.

Ok, we probably won't plant the garden here again. We have been spending all our free time working on the mountain place. Our last garden suffered and didn't produce. Well wait until after we move and get started up there. We have plenty put back between canning, dehydrating and freeze dried stuff we've bought.
How ironic, I got a quality control call from the hatchery wanting to know if we were satisfied with the birds we bought this summer. We won $1700 dollars with 2 birds, so Yep. We are satisfied. Love their birds. The one year our birds didn't grow well they gave us credit for our next order.

Pulled the spent broad bean plants and have them on the veranda drying to collect seed for next winter to plant.

This morning as it is hot here and the grass is dying down I have also been going around and collecting any dry leaves I can get my cotton picking hands on for mulch for the vegetable garden beds. I am sure this will carry over nutrients to the following seasons too. Went into town yesterday and topped up on some more sweet corn seeds ( sadly I ran out of what I had saved), some spring onion seeds (again ran out of our own saved ones) and some more silver beet seeds (not been really successful in saving these but I will continue to work on it).

I'm jealous. I'd like to be making plans myself but two years running I've lost my garden to neglect because of outside responsibilities.

Does anyone want to donate their hard earned crops over this way?

@robin416 I would but the shipping costs from Australia would be astronomical and I don't think they would arrive too fresh at the other end :D .
That's sweet. You were generous to offer and responsible by not sending something not fit for consumption. :thumbs up:

I have had high hopes every year for gardening. What I have planned in years past was always the core group of tomatoes and cucumbers because they are my favorites. I had success with spinach one spring. One year I grew dwarf heirloom corn...for the bugs. We were lucky to get a few off the stalks before the bugs moved in. Grew a couple of strawberries once. :)
Not sure how much time I'll have to devote to gardening this year, but I can always dream.
Last year my zucchini plants got rather large but produced nothing. I'm sure I should have fertilized to enrich the soil, but I also did not check the ph.

I am always plotting and planning on my garden. Hunny took me to the feed store a couple were is ago and my new crop this year will be peanuts. I haven't done them, in fact I know no one who has, but my neighbor said his dad used to plant them and as a kid remembers eating them when they were still green. . . :(. Not a good experience! Anyhow, I got them raw still in shell. Planning on starting them early and transplanting. I did get a very small cheap "greenhouse" to start some seeds in early, but not going to do that until January after holiday season.

I can't stand to be outside at the moment.

The mosquitoes are big enough to carry off a horse and it's rider and the air is just black with them.

I race out at midday when there's a stiff breeze, fill up enough water bowls for several days, fill the grain feeders, harvest a handful of herbs and spring onions and chili and race back inside with a hefty jump to dislodge the cloud free loaders hitching a ride and want to come inside.
Then spend the rest of the day swatting those who did.

Normally the shire council fogs the streets but they haven't yet and they had better start soon.
People get very sick in this neck of the woods from mosquito borne illnesses.

I am always plotting and planning on my garden. Hunny took me to the feed store a couple were is ago and my new crop this year will be peanuts. I haven't done them, in fact I know no one who has, but my neighbor said his dad used to plant them and as a kid remembers eating them when they were still green. . . :(. Not a good experience! Anyhow, I got them raw still in shell. Planning on starting them early and transplanting. I did get a very small cheap "greenhouse" to start some seeds in early, but not going to do that until January after holiday season.

I've grown peanuts. They are pretty easy, we planted directly in the garden. The few we tried to start early and transplant didn't make it. Just make sure go keep your turkeys out of the garden. They ate every last little bit of them. o_O

turnip dug 1Feb2018 planted fall 2017

--Dwight
IMG_0883a.JPG

So I'm excited for the 2018 growing season in Ohio as I have the regular peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, beets, onions, parsnip and turnips planned but have found rutabaga! I've wanted to try rutabaga for a while as root vegetables seem to do well here. So new year new crop item!

So I'm excited for the 2018 growing season in Ohio as I have the regular peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, beets, onions, parsnip and turnips planned but have found rutabaga! I've wanted to try rutabaga for a while as root vegetables seem to do well here. So new year new crop item!

Have you ever tried kolorabi?
484270872.jpg

It's February. There is a half-foot of snow on the ground here. And, yes, I'm planning out my 2018 garden (call me Captain Optimist). The tradition here in the high country of Utah is that it's not safe to plant until Mother's Day (in May). I'll push that by planting my root crops (potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes and the like) in early April, shooting for a September harvest. In early May, I'll start my tomatoes and strawberries in raised planting beds on the south side of the house...they may get some greenhouse-like protection for the first few weeks. And I'm planning on starting a few more peach trees this year...working out their locations now.

Started planting today for our autumn garden and I planted a 4 mt row of turnips and DH planted a 6mt row of Hunter brown onions in the gardens. Our dwarf bush bean strikes are now a few inches tall , the first half row of turnips have all sprouted, our tomatoes seedlings are getting large ,our sweet potatoes are going berserk and our replanted pumpkins are looking good with first flowers on them . We picked two lovely cucumbers from the gardens and had one for lunch on or with sandwiches.

Did a good session of just over two hours in the gardens :gardening: and we continued to spade edge around 2 more garden beds in the front yard and I pruned all of the sweet potato vines growing onto the front footpath and lawn. Bin night tonight so we have almost filled it to the top with grass, weeds and sweet potato trimmings

Has anyone tried the Old Farmers Almanac garden planner?
I signed up for their free 7 day trial and so far I like it.
After 7 days you need to pay $29 a year.
It has a lot of features built in.
They send notices to you when it's time to do different thing in your garden based on where you live.
I have my garden planned out and my drip irrigation plan figured out.
Now if the weather will just cooperate I can get started.

https://gardenplanner.almanac.com/faq.aspx

Has anyone tried the Old Farmers Almanac garden planner?
I signed up for their free 7 day trial and so far I like it.
After 7 days you need to pay $29 a year.
It has a lot of features built in.
They send notices to you when it's time to do different thing in your garden based on where you live.
I have my garden planned out and my drip irrigation plan figured out.
Now if the weather will just cooperate I can get started.

https://gardenplanner.almanac.com/faq.aspx
That looks like something i would like. I always wondered if there was a good app for something like this. I love planning my garden almost as much as planting.

Latest posts

Back