Plantain

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got an empty notepad? Every part of the plant is medicinal... The root is great for incontinence issues with new mothers and the elderly. The leaves will align badly broken bones and speed their healing... also will correct slipped and herniated disks. The blooms with oil is the perfect medicine for ear aches in small children/toddlers....

1634957713890.png

As medicines… Plantain has one very unique property, modern medicine has no equivalent. It can “draw out”. It’s not the only plant that can do this but it’s chief among the group. Say you have a spider bite or wasp sting or even a snake bite, it can draw out the venom. Say you have an abscessed tooth, it can draw out the infection, just chew it up like a wad of tobacco and hold it between your cheek and gum. It won't heal what caused the abscess but will buy you a few days until you can get to a dentist. It can also draw out the infection from a shallow infected cut.

Its other greatest attribute is its ability to heal our skin. It causes a cut or abrasion to heal much faster than normal. It will even cause a very serious wound or cut to seal quickly. There is a danger here… it can close a wound so quickly that infection can be trapped deep inside. If I needed to treat a deep cut or wound there are several plants I would use. Plantain is on the list but only after I was sure there was no deep infection. Plantain it great for any sore in the mouth or ulcer or boil.

There are dozens of other uses for Plantain but I’m going to skip those… The herb books I’ve posted in the library go into these in great detail.

I pick it often for my pet bunnies and throw some in with grass and other tasty weeds to cooped up chickens, but I wasn't aware of it being medicinal, thank you for sharing!

In my yard yesterday, finally! I've sown plantain seed around the house and barns for 15yrs. Now it's growing in my yard, everywhere really.

This is the most annoying part of dealing with wild plants. Wild plant seed doesn't behave like cultivated plants. Seeds of some species can lie dormant for 100yrs! Waiting for the right conditions to sprout. Just because you planted it doesn't mean it'll come up on que.

This plantain (lanceleaf from england) is the most prolific of the species here. Unlike others it can take alabama summer heat and the mild winters. I can find it growing in August and Janurary.

However there's a problem. 95% of it grows next to roads. Car goes down road, drops oil on pavement, rain washed oil onto shoulders of the road. I won't harvest medicinals from such a toxic location unless I were desperate.

By growing it around my house, shop and barns I can keep toxins out of them, harvest it safely.

I wrote in the op I use this medicinal more often than all the other medicinals I use combined. Finally, after 15 years of waiting, I have plantain in my yard.

yard 03may22 1a .JPG

My red plantain has not come up yet. I just wanted some color in the weeds outside the garden.

Back