Planted A Few Trees.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planted a couple acorns this summer from a neighbours oak. They came up, now to see if they survive the winter. Also transplanted a couple Douglas fur seedlings

Are you going to make yourself a fir coat or getting started on a log cabin?:)

Last summer I planted 2 pears, 2 plums, 3 cherries, and the year before that 8 different apples and one cherry plum that survived. Next summer I'll pluck all the blossoms but the next year I hope to harvest. All my apples were grafted onto crabapple root stock as it withstands the cold better.

Are you going to make yourself a fir coat or getting started on a log cabin?:)

Last summer I planted 2 pears, 2 plums, 3 cherries, and the year before that 8 different apples and one cherry plum that survived. Next summer I'll pluck all the blossoms but the next year I hope to harvest. All my apples were grafted onto crabapple root stock as it withstands the cold better.

Darn auto correct, although it would be cool if you could actually grow fur trees. Douglas fir are quite common here and we have a few on the property. A few seedlings came up and I moved them to better spots

We still have to assess our new property for the best place for a small orchard (or if, instead of an orchard, we plant a couple of this here, a couple of that there...)

But one thing I will make sure of before planting - testing our soil and adjusting it accordingly. That's a step we didn't do where we are now, and I think it would have made a big difference. Glad we can learn from that mistake, because we won't have as much time to make mistakes at the new place (that whole gettin' older thing, lol).

Douglas fir are quite common here and we have a few on the property. A few seedlings came up and I moved them to better spots

We're doing the same thing on our new/future place, but with cedars and Virginia pines. We're moving them up along the roadway for privacy - and keeping them from taking over the open grassy/prairie areas at the same time. Win-win. :)

Darn auto correct, although it would be cool if you could actually grow fur trees. Douglas fir are quite common here and we have a few on the property. A few seedlings came up and I moved them to better spots

I thought that might get your attention but I wanted also to point out that you can graft apples onto your crabapple.

I thought that might get your attention but I wanted also to point out that you can graft apples onto your crabapple.

Interesting thought. My crab is a beautiful ornamental albeit messy. I might try and graft something onto it. Got some research to do now. Good thought

Decided to get some new stuff this year and paid for some I won't get till next Spring.....4 Sugar Maple- 4 Red Maple- 2 Plum- and Lavender- Rosemary- Lantana and some Rudbeckia

1500-280x280-fillv.jpg
2847-280x280-fillv.jpg
4292-280x280-fillv.jpg
4346-280x280-fillv.jpg
HER-ROS02-2T.jpg
HER-RUD03-2T.jpg
HER-RUD04-2T.jpg
HER-LAN14-2T.jpg
HER-LAV07-2T.jpg

Decided to get some new stuff this year and paid for some I won't get till next Spring.....4 Sugar Maple- 4 Red Maple- 2 Plum- and Lavender- Rosemary- Lantana and some Rudbeckia

Rudbeckia is a cone flower related to Echinacea and medicinal. Native americans used both plants the same way. :)

359-960x960.jpg
2742-280x280-fillv.jpg
Decided I want some height and color variety in between each of my Maple trees. I have 4 Wisteria coming which i will train as trees for the one side where my land goes toward the neighbor and The American Redbuds in between the Maples i'm putting along the drive coming onto the property. Seems they should be well suited for both applications. The Redbuds will be in a fairly shaded area they seem to thrive in and The Wisteria will get tons of sunlight which they seem to love......I really hope they all go as planned. Should be real nice looking....

I have 3 plum and 2 pear trees. My two older plum trees are crazy. One blooms usually in March and the other blooms in April. This year the March bloomer is in full bloom right now. Only buds on the other trees. I was hoping this cold weather that is costing so much for electricity, would pay off for my trees blooming together for the first time in 10 years. I did get 11 plums off the early bloomer. No cross pollination going on at my house I guess. Other three trees have been in ground for about 3 years now. Bloom, but not really doing much.

I do have some domestic berries that multiply like crazy. I pruned seriously last year and they are starting to green up and I know I will have a serious crop of berries. They are large and tart and make great jelly and juice cobblers. Really have to sweeten to eat them fresh. Really difficult to kill or thin plants as they spread anywhere from1 to 4 feet away on long roots. They also have unbelievable thorns. I gave away about 12 gallons this year and still have 4 in my freezer after making jelly as well and a few juice pies. I also juiced some and made juice after adding sugar. need too get busy.

...The American Redbuds in between the Maples i'm putting along the drive coming onto the property. Seems they should be well suited for both applications. The Redbuds will be in a fairly shaded area they seem to thrive in and The Wisteria will get tons of sunlight which they seem to love......I really hope they all go as planned. Should be real nice looking....

The redbuds are so pretty in the spring, and a graceful looking tree. It should be beautiful!

@txcatlady, any idea what kind of domestic berry? Just curious. Sounds like a gift that keeps on giving. :)
My grandfather got his start from a man who worked at Texas A& M years ago so I grew up on them. He created it and said he would call it Clark Berry after my grandfather. It probably is a Brazos Berry. They are so prolific here that my husband suggested I have a berry picking farm. We live 11 miles down dirt road and again they have 1 inch thorns. Nobody would pay to pick their own berries. Funny thing is they didn't grow well for my sister about 2 miles away on other side of creek where she lives in my grandfathers house where the rootstock started from years ago. Mine are very happy and I have 11 rooted to share with my girls.

Your Clark Berry sounds like a great barrier hedge.

i love wisteria but hubby would have a fit if i asked for it'. he says it's too invasive for him.:cry: besides i'm jealous:D

If wisteria is planted within 30 feet of any structure it will grow to it and then through it. Wisteria will remove siding and even sheathing from a building. It is best grown in the middle of a field and even then it will spread almost uncontrollably. Timmie, I'm with your husband on this one.

If wisteria is planted within 30 feet of any structure it will grow to it and then through it. Wisteria will remove siding and even sheathing from a building. It is best grown in the middle of a field and even then it will spread almost uncontrollably. Timmie, I'm with your husband on this one.
I appreciate all the warnings. I did actually do some research on this one and I am going to plant these in between each of the Red Sunset Maples since they can do well in Partial Shade. The maples and the Wisteria are in a field...Basically. Along side my road that runs to the backside of my land. 52 acres. There are NO structures within 1000 yards.I am going to get T posts and train the Wisteria to grow as a Tree rather then a bush. I'm thinking it should turn out fine. Trimming the suckers from the Wisteria I hear does wonders as well. I'm thinking the awesome look of the Flowers on the Wisteria and the Red on the Maples should make for a really nice look.....

I am glad to hear that you have done some research. I hope the wisteria doesn't take over the the maples and kill them. I have seen this happen when English Ivy is neglected and I am sure that wisteria is just as capable. They have been known to girdle a tree and kill it by restricting the flow of sap. I wish you the best and if you ever need to kill the wisteria without harming your maples let me know. There is an easy way to do it with well established plants.

Latest posts

Back