Planting Calendar

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDragonlady

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
You are ahead of me then. I've been thinking about it alot, but not on paper yet. Now that the holidays are over, I'll get right to that
It's been so warm here I have had to weed some of my raised beds. Will be tilling manure in about a month from now. One of my raised beds has bluebonnets taking it over, can't believe they are up already. Unfortunately one of my peach trees already has buds on it!

Yea, I can't do much now. Just plan the layout, sharpen my tools(which need it lol), get the greenhouse ready, tend to the plants I have overwintering and in the middle of next month I can seed spinach in a cold frame.
February is when I get into gear here with seed starting, and pruning my berry bushes and fruit trees.

If I had a high tunnel I could get other things planted, but I don't so no worries

I've downloaded the gardening calendar from my Extension Service this morning.
I'll have to compare what they say and what the almanac says about seeding starting and when. See if they line up or not

I already have my 'what's going where' plan on paper! Can't wait!!
I've just downloaded some free garden planners to try this year.
Usually I just wing it and try not to plant the same thing in the same spot every year lol

Yea, I can't do much now. Just plan the layout, sharpen my tools(which need it lol), get the greenhouse ready, tend to the plants I have overwintering and in the middle of next month I can seed spinach in a cold frame.
February is when I get into gear here with seed starting, and pruning my berry bushes and fruit trees.

If I had a high tunnel I could get other things planted, but I don't so no worries

I've downloaded the gardening calendar from my Extension Service this morning.
I'll have to compare what they say and what the almanac says about seeding starting and when. See if they line up or not

I noticed some dates didn't line up with typical for around. Not way off, just 2 to 3 weeks.

I got my almanacs for Christmas but haven't looked yet - will compare with this one as there are now 3? different almanacs. This past fall, I got one of those cheapo little greenhouses with the zip up front. Will see if I can do anything with it or just burn seedlings (I'm not here during the day to babysit them.)

I got my almanacs for Christmas but haven't looked yet - will compare with this one as there are now 3? different almanacs. This past fall, I got one of those cheapo little greenhouses with the zip up front. Will see if I can do anything with it or just burn seedlings (I'm not here during the day to babysit them.)

Out of curiosity, which almanac do you use? We always used to go with old farmers almanac, but last 15 to 20 years have switched to Blum's. Seems a better fit around here

I've just downloaded some free garden planners to try this year.
Usually I just wing it and try not to plant the same thing in the same spot every year lol
please share if you find one that works for you. I tried a couple last year but wasn't too impressed. It's fun to mess around with it anyway, even if I don't end up getting it in action in the ground.
@Pearl any pointers you can give me I'd greatly appreciate. I have not done well but keep trying with gardening in Texas.

please share if you find one that works for you. I tried a couple last year but wasn't too impressed. It's fun to mess around with it anyway, even if I don't end up getting it in action in the ground.
@Pearl any pointers you can give me I'd greatly appreciate. I have not done well but keep trying with gardening in Texas.
Donkey manure😁! Don't plant too early and don't feed deer! REAL advice for our area, plant everything in partial shade and only water 2, 3 times a week, no matter how dry. Water deeply! PRAY!

I was looking at that for a temp structure for the property, as I don't think we will have time to get the greenhouse up and the chicken coop at the same time.
It didn't blow over?? That was my concern.

Donkey manure😁! Don't plant too early and don't feed deer! REAL advice for our area, plant everything in partial shade and only water 2, 3 times a week, no matter how dry. Water deeply! PRAY!
How long does the donkey manure need to rot before use? At the least? I remember you said that now. Partial shade, check. Water 2-3 x weekly. Ok. Do you make house visits?
:rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, which almanac do you use? We always used to go with old farmers almanac, but last 15 to 20 years have switched to Blum's. Seems a better fit around here
So last year I had "The Old Farmers Almanac" & "The Almanac for Farmers & City Folk". This year I have "TOFA" & "Farmers Almanac" which is a new one to me. I don't know if I've used Blum's. I usually have TOFA and one other. Seemed like the other one last year (for farmers and city folk) was pretty good, but we had that wretched heat dome so how well any of it worked is up in the air.
I was looking at that for a temp structure for the property, as I don't think we will have time to get the greenhouse up and the chicken coop at the same time.
It didn't blow over?? That was my concern.
Our wind is insane! We pulled our garden canopy down and it was torn at the seams. (Pulled it down about 2 months ago) I will have to source a new one or figure out how to make a new one 🥴

@LadyLocust Yes its been howling over our hill and rattling our fireplaces. I'm so over it! Supposed to get really cold the next few days, hope you're staying warm!
So far so good, but I really do miss our wood heat when it gets this cold.

So last year I had "The Old Farmers Almanac" & "The Almanac for Farmers & City Folk". This year I have "TOFA" & "Farmers Almanac" which is a new one to me. I don't know if I've used Blum's. I usually have TOFA and one other. Seemed like the other one last year (for farmers and city folk) was pretty good, but we had that wretched heat dome so how well any of it worked is up in the air.

Our wind is insane! We pulled our garden canopy down and it was torn at the seams. (Pulled it down about 2 months ago) I will have to source a new one or figure out how to make a new one 🥴

I've never heard of TOFA before. I'll have to look into that one.

How long does the donkey manure need to rot before use? At the least? I remember you said that now. Partial shade, check. Water 2-3 x weekly. Ok. Do you make house visits?
With or without donkeys?? I usually let it sit 6 months to a year.

Donkey manure is better because: They don't eat as rich a diet as horses so the manure doesn't burn the seeds/ plants. Easier to handle than cow poop! Doesn't have the odor that chicken poo has! I like it best because I have donkeys, I pay to feed them, it's what they give me in return (and lots of love too)!

@Pearl I remember my sister using horse poo on her flower beds and saying that it would burn plants if it has not rotted long enough. I had gotten some compost from a friend. But at least one other friend has donkeys and a miniature horse.
I wouldn't suggest you bring the donkeys over.
I have an annual that I thought died in the heat in the summer, the leaves have regreened and it has put out two flowers this week.
County extension office puts out a good calendar and recommendations for specific types of vegetables proven for the area.

It's been so warm here I have had to weed some of my raised beds. Will be tilling manure in about a month from now. One of my raised beds has bluebonnets taking it over, can't believe they are up already. Unfortunately one of my peach trees already has buds on it!

The weeds in my garden started growing in the fall, but with the snow and cold we've been hit with overnight and a few more days, it's going to be awhile before I can get out there to do anything. Hopefully by March there'll be a few good days, but I'm not counting on it

I've had a couple of those stand up greenhouses and they can work great but there's tricks to it. Once you set it up, put heavy stuff on the bottom shelf to stabilize and weigh it down, or it can get blowed over in the wind. As long as your temps are halfway decent (atleast 40 or more), unzip the plastic cover for air circulation. and to keep temps inside down a bit from frying your starts.....but that also depends on how hot your area is when using it too.

And one of the worst things about them is that plastic cover. It can get kinda brittle and break or tear easily if you leave it out exposed to weather all year long. Then of course those zippers get stuck and/or break as well.

I had mine set up right against the house on the east facing side, so I figured it should have had plenty of protection from extremes, but there was still all those challenges. It did help protect seed starts and give them a little boost to the growing season, maybe by a couple of weeks so that is some help. Maybe they would have lasted longer & better, if that's all I had used it for and had then taken it down & put away. Which to me and my way of thinking, a greenhouse should be usable almost year round.

I've had a couple of those stand up greenhouses and they can work great but there's tricks to it. Once you set it up, put heavy stuff on the bottom shelf to stabilize and weigh it down, or it can get blowed over in the wind. As long as your temps are halfway decent (atleast 40 or more), unzip the plastic cover for air circulation. and to keep temps inside down a bit from frying your starts.....but that also depends on how hot your area is when using it too.

And one of the worst things about them is that plastic cover. It can get kinda brittle and break or tear easily if you leave it out exposed to weather all year long. Then of course those zippers get stuck and/or break as well.

I had mine set up right against the house on the east facing side, so I figured it should have had plenty of protection from extremes, but there was still all those challenges. It did help protect seed starts and give them a little boost to the growing season, maybe by a couple of weeks so that is some help. Maybe they would have lasted longer & better, if that's all I had used it for and had then taken it down & put away. Which to me and my way of thinking, a greenhouse should be usable almost year round.
I'm not a fan of plastic and have very little of it around, but this was on clearance so figured I'd give it a shot. I have to start my beans, peas, anything of that nature inside or critters of some sort get them. I don't have a good spot inside so am hoping this will serve the need.

Latest posts

Back