Pleurisy Root

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Butterfly Weed is blooming now, aka Asclepias tuberosa is a species of milkweed native to eastern North America. Its fairly common on roadsides. Its other name is “Pleurisy Root”.

Mayo Clinic - Pleurisy (PLOOR-ih-see) is a condition in which the pleura — a membrane consisting of a layer of tissue that lines the inner side of the chest cavity and a layer of tissue that surrounds the lungs — becomes inflamed.

Pleurisy Root was commonly used in american hospitals through the 1930’s. As a natural remedy it’s used in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, and chronic rheumatism and its antispasmodic and carminative properties are thought to provide a natural treatment for colic, muscle tension and spasm.

Plirusy root (1)_v1.jpg
Plirusy root (2)_v1.jpg

Butterfly Weed is blooming now, aka Asclepias tuberosa is a species of milkweed native to eastern North America. Its fairly common on roadsides. Its other name is “Pleurisy Root”.

Mayo Clinic - Pleurisy (PLOOR-ih-see) is a condition in which the pleura — a membrane consisting of a layer of tissue that lines the inner side of the chest cavity and a layer of tissue that surrounds the lungs — becomes inflamed.

Pleurisy Root was commonly used in american hospitals through the 1930’s. As a natural remedy it’s used in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, and chronic rheumatism and its antispasmodic and carminative properties are thought to provide a natural treatment for colic, muscle tension and spasm.

View attachment 7285 View attachment 7286
dang i thought you was gonna tell me this would help with pleurisy.

okay but i don't know which part of the plant to use or how to use it. can you give me the name of a book that i can buy with the info?

The name of the book that gives 5 pages of detailed information in small print on the many uses of this plant... "The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants" by Matthew Wood. Available on Amazon...

The root is used, you can make tea with it or make a tincture (details in the book), lots of net info on making tinctures. :)

Edited to add... You might as well go ahead and buy... "The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants". 100's of medicinal plants native to Europe, Russia and the Mediterranean are now naturalized here in N. America.

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/pleurisy-root/profile
They are out of stock right now.... You can usually buy dried root directly from them to make you own medicines.

Last edited:
This plant is hard to transplant, but you can buy the potted plant or seeds.
This for anyone who wishes to add this plant to your medical garden.
Honeybees, butterflies love this plant, it fits in any garden.

The name of the book that gives 5 pages of detailed information in small print on the many uses of this plant... "The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants" by Matthew Wood. Available on Amazon...

The root is used, you can make tea with it or make a tincture (details in the book), lots of net info on making tinctures. :)

Edited to add... You might as well go ahead and buy... "The Earthwise Herbal, A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants". 100's of medicinal plants native to Europe, Russia and the Mediterranean are now naturalized here in N. America.

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/pleurisy-root/profile
They are out of stock right now.... You can usually buy dried root directly from them to make you own medicines.
Can never have too many herb books. I’ll see about finding the book you mentioned @Peanut

Just made a teapot of herbal teas and wow amazing how fast needed herbs can help. Daughter’s cough has quieted down, is more productive.
I used slippery elm, nettle, marshmallow (plant), red raspberry leaf, and a breathe deep tea bag.

Latest posts

Back