Discussion in 'Country Living Questions' started by GrannyG, May 26, 2019.
Usually the leaves are cutsey and small, at the most 2 inches long. However, I have seen it when each of the 3 leaves were as large as my hand. The spot... at the end of my garden where rain washes rich soil and fertilizer into the edge of the woods...
Depending on location the leaves can look very different!
Thats some bad stuff alright. We were clearing some off fence and woodsey area.I had that stuff wrapped all over me untangling ,cutting and pulling. Calamine lotion or nothing else touched it. I went to emergency room and the doctor actually laughed! He said " I'm sorry but I've never seen such a bad case on anyone".
There is a cream that bonds with the oil of all three plants & you cover your skin with it, then shower it all away.
This should be done as soon asap .
1) Poison Ivy
NOTE: there are many type of Sumac, some eible, but only one that has poison, like poison Ivy & poison oak.
What's the name of this cream? I don't seem to be much affected by poison ivy, but I'd like to have some on hand just in case my kid gets into the stuff...
It's called Tech Nu Poison Ivy wash, you can get it at Wal-Mart or on line. It works, it's what I use, just follow the directions.
I have not used it in about 10 years.
I did a search & got nothing.
I recall the name now that you have posted it.
I found it on Amazon, CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart websites.
Thank you. It is worth having some in the first aid kit.
I have had one encounter with poison oak, in Ohio. I have never encountered poison ivy or poison sumac. What would be the best way to eliminate them if you find them on your property? I have heard that burning them is not good.
When it's just one or two plants, I put my hand inside a plastic grocery bag and pull it up from right at the ground, the roots are generally shallow and it comes up easily enough. I use the bag as a glove, then turn it inside out as I pull it off my hand to capture the plant.
Some people prefer Round Up which I would use if there were a lot of poison or if it is hard to eradicate it.
I could not remember the name, was it a soap or a cream?
So my searching came up with rash treatment, not the wash. Camo found the name. As I recall I got mine at Walmart too.
Weedygardener right we need to put it in a kit.
Thanks Joel that would be good to have on hand, have to order or buy some. Of course I keep a good look out for anything like that since my last encounter. But accidents do happen.
Fantastic! It's on the list for my next trip to Walmart. Thank you!
Might try Dollar General too.
It was a third of the price from Wal-Mart prices.
Am highly allergic to Posion Ivy, Oak and Sumac as I found ou last year.
Same stuff as Wal*Mart but only thrd of the cost.
When doing an internet search for it, I find it comes in a variety of forms. Tecnu...a scrub, a spray, a cleanser, an anti-itch gel. I think we had some tecnu once, but we hardly ever get poison rashes anymore (knock on wood). These products can remove the toxins (oils) of the plant from your skin, fabric, etc.
I guess it would be good to use on a dog too. We used it on laundry, in the washer.
Weedy never ever, ever burn Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac, the Oils which are the Allergic component mix with the Smoke and if you inhale the Smoke you can get the rash in your Lungs this is bad Ju-Ju and will put you in the Hospital.
I have heard that it is not good.
Camo2460, it is good to see you here. Wishing you the best.
Thank You Weedy, I have some pretty rough Health Issues that sometimes knock me down, but I'm not out and I'm back up and in the fight.
Separate names with a comma.