Poison Oak

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know, just to see what happens!!😃
So it does nothing to me, but will send a highly allergic person into Anaphylactic Shock?:dunno:
My mom carried an epi-pen for years because she was allergic to wasp & bee stings. We just got an ice cube to put on ours. :(

So it does nothing to me, but will send a highly allergic person into Anaphylactic Shock?:dunno:
My mom carried an epi-pen for years because she was allergic to wasp & bee stings. We just got an ice cube to put on ours. :(
My mom would tell me to go back outside and don't go near the dang bees!😮 That joke, "I died once when I was five and my mom told me to walk it off", was based on the true story of my life!😃

Why? It already has no effect on me. I can smear it all over my skin and not even a single itch. :)
I don't react to it either, poison ivy either. I can pull it out with my hands and have gotten it all over my arms before and nothing happens. Someone told me if you drink goat milk ( and the goats eat that stuff) you become immune to it. But, we had poison ivy in Florida in the yard and it didn't affect me there either before the goats

I had posted this earlier as part of a PM... Needs to be here...
----------------------------------------

...Of course, this is the time of year to look for a tiny PI leaf just unfolding. Appalachian folk medicine - Take a tiny PI leaf early in the year and swallow it whole. Don't chew it, one quick motion, sallow it down.

It makes you immune to PI until the next year. I know several people who do this every year, people I respect. If they say it works for them, it does.

Also... swallowing 2 or 3 dried poke berries are said to have the same effect. My uncle who does controlled burns, out in PI often, uses poke berries. He has no problem with PI now...

I use poke tincture often already, haven't had PI in ages. But the swallowing a leaf? I couldn't bring myself to try it. As a kid I've had PI so bad my eyes swelled shut, just can't get past it.

I've read quite a bit about this but I've never had the balls to try it.

My goto is to treat poison ivy like motor oil- degreaser soap and hard friction kills it pretty good, youvr gotta get the urushiol oil off your skin ultimately.

I haven't had much problem since adopting that protocol. Even after noticing a rash after a hard scrubbing it's gone in a day or two so I don't worry about PI anymore.

I've read quite a bit about this but I've never had the balls to try it.

Me either! 🤣 PI is pretty basic, anything astringent (drying) for the blisters which also eases itching to some degree then wait a few days.

One thing modern medicine got right was Calamine lotion. As good as it gets for PI. You can use Preparation H too. Think about it... it dries and relieves itching, safe for topical use. 😁

We've used vinegar with good results, also teas made from madrone tree leaves and soap root is supposed to help. Normally poison oak doesn't bother me, except for the time I dug a 500 foot long ditch for burring the water line from the cistern to the spring, in walking in the ditch the oils from the poison oak roots really did a number on my legs, vinegar did the job for me even thought it was a bit painful.

Latest posts

Back