POPCORN Storage life.......?????

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
What is a realistic storage life for Popcorn...??? And could popcorn be ground up for cooking...??

My understanding is it will store for years under the right conditions ie airtight dry container away from light, such as mylar bags in buckets. I would class it much like dent corn..as they are both very hard and well dried. Store correctly for 25 years.

Yes you can grind up popcorn to make flour..or more like corn meal. But yes, go for it.

Freeze it for a while before storing in mylar. I have had some popcorn hatch worms recently. I bought some from various stores and while in dry storage in the unopened containers from the store I was getting little worms hatching in them. I stopped buying that brand and now freeze my popcorn before LTS or use.

FYI it was Target's Market Pantry brand.

If you buy the stuff that's got the butter in it and you just toss it in the microwave, it doesn't taste very good if it's beyond a couple months after the expiration on the package.

I hate that fake junk.

I only buy popcorn for the air popper but cook it on the stove in some coconut oil.

I cook it on the stove in olive oil. Yep, stores longer than you will. Keep it dry. Grind it for cornmeal. We love popcorn, it's a favorite snack. Recipe for Christmas popcorn: melt some red hots in your oil and pop your corn. Lovely red color and a cinnamon taste. The granddaughters like to make a batch and melt some chocolate chips to pour over it here and there.

I am informed that "Popcorn" (that has been popped and flavored with anything sweet) is a foundation of Bear baiters.

So you going to try it then?
I don't think so. I know it works, I am interested in having the supplies and tools necessary "Just in Case", post SHTF.

Has anyone tried making flour from popped corn, I am guessing that so far we are talking about grinding the kernels to make corn meal

Has anyone tried making flour from popped corn, I am guessing that so far we are talking about grinding the kernels to make corn meal
Wouldn't that end up like the broken Styrofoam that statics to everything when you open a Christmas present that's come in the mail?
(I don't eat popped corn unless slathered with caramel and peanuts 😊 )

I don't know, but thought that perhaps if it worked, it would be better than some other flours that make my digestive tract malfunction. I may have to try it when I don't have anything to do.

For clarification, you said popped corn. Did you mean popcorn, not popped yet? Or did you mean after it is popped?

We were talking corn in another thread recently. Dried Corn in Food Storage

I have read before that popcorn can be ground for flour, but there are types of corns that are typically used for flour. That is why I purchased some 25 pound bags of popcorn for food storage. This article mentions 6 types of corn, but only discusses 4 types. Thank a Charleston Farmer For Jimmy Red Corn

DIY Cornmeal from Popcorn (Cornmeal, not flour in this article)

DIY Cornmeal from Popcorn
by
Molly Sheridan
Updated Aug. 10, 2018
More to this article before this section.
"The Verdict
A 32-ounce bag of popcorn netted me 5 1/2 cups cornmeal, though grinding the amount needed just before use is recommended for maximum freshness. The special equipment is the real barrier to entry here—and some of it is frankly quite expensive. The richer corn flavor and overall freshness definitely provide a big push towards investing in an appliance that can get the job done. Beyond that, however, unless you're buying in bulk, it seems that the popcorn vs. cornmeal price points are negligible. I remain on the fence about adding grain milling to my regular kitchen tasks, and would love to hear more about the pros and cons from those of you who are doing it."

@ Weedy I mean to pop the popcorn, then grind it to make a flour.
@Amish, Rice and I don't get along. actually I really don't like to substitute things for other things, because them it is easier to pop back to the ,"just a tiny bit won't hurt" mind set. but I will definitely keep the rice ground to flour thing in mind for future reference. I foresee having to make life out of what we can grow and or harvest only in the not too distant future.

I don't know, but thought that perhaps if it worked, it would be better than some other flours that make my digestive tract malfunction. I may have to try it when I don't have anything to do.
As an FYI (up to you if you want to try it or not of course): Millet is the unsung hero of grains. It is gluten free and serves well for things like a chicken fried steak or other breading-like scenarios. It also works well in combination with almond flour in bread substitutes though still not a “real” bread. I use it for Hubby without issues.

As an FYI (up to you if you want to try it or not of course): Millet is the unsung hero of grains. It is gluten free and serves well for things like a chicken fried steak or other breading-like scenarios. It also works well in combination with almond flour in bread substitutes though still not a “real” bread. I use it for Hubby without issues.
I've read about it, as a gluten free option. What I read is to grind it up right before you use it, don't grind it and store the flour.

So.......Amazon is $46.50 for 25# bag and $74.50 for 50# bag. "yellow" popcorn. What are you'all paying....???
I just payed $10.00 CA for 8 pound jugs of orvil redenbacher non gmo claims organic

Thank you for the option, this is just one of my outside the box ideas,

I am just finishing my last bit of popcorn that I bought in early 2015 when we bought a 50# bag for $55. We had gotten some other raw bags for Christmas gifts and such that we ate too b/c it wasn't packed for LTS. When I got that bag in 2015, I put it all in food saver bags, put it in a bucket, and stored it in a cool basement. One of the bags got a hole punctured in it and that bag was pretty stale. We ate it and gave some of it to the birds. Another bag of it didn't seal well that I noticed right away and I put that in jars and vacuum packed it with my food saver.

That jar that I sealed with the food saver is the one we are working on now and it's still good....I'd say it retained about 90% of the freshness. Although it could be that we were eating a different brand before starting this jar and perhaps I liked the other brand a bit better? I don't know for sure, but it was still good. I'm thinking about ordering another 50# bag and putting all of it in jars insead of food saver bags so I don't have to worry about puncture and they'll be easy to see on my shelf too.

It looks like the price has gone up significatly since my last order. I'm not surprised. If anyone sees a good deal or knows of a good deal on popcorn, please post it here:)

I am just finishing my last bit of popcorn that I bought in early 2015 when we bought a 50# bag for $55. We had gotten some other raw bags for Christmas gifts and such that we ate too b/c it wasn't packed for LTS. When I got that bag in 2015, I put it all in food saver bags, put it in a bucket, and stored it in a cool basement. One of the bags got a hole punctured in it and that bag was pretty stale. We ate it and gave some of it to the birds. Another bag of it didn't seal well that I noticed right away and I put that in jars and vacuum packed it with my food saver.

That jar that I sealed with the food saver is the one we are working on now and it's still good....I'd say it retained about 90% of the freshness. Although it could be that we were eating a different brand before starting this jar and perhaps I liked the other brand a bit better? I don't know for sure, but it was still good. I'm thinking about ordering another 50# bag and putting all of it in jars insead of food saver bags so I don't have to worry about puncture and they'll be easy to see on my shelf too.

It looks like the price has gone up significatly since my last order. I'm not surprised. If anyone sees a good deal or knows of a good deal on popcorn, please post it here:)
No deals, but I put ranch dressing, butter, and chili powder all melted together on mine!!♥️

Latest posts

Back