porches

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like porches, porches are a great place to whittle, drink coffee and contemplate.

here's my porch
kVV7YNRl.jpg

9WgyAVbl.jpg

We have a 8x12 porch on from of the house facing east and one garden spot and the neighbors pasture field.
Back of the house we have a 12x16 porch. Faces south and overlooks the back of our 5 acres.
Neither are covered and the back deck is way too hot in the summer.
If we ever build again that house will have a full wrap around porch and be covered at least 50-75%.

We don't have a real porch on this house. But I did build a 10x10 covered deck on the back (south side). It has a porch swing and two hanging chairs. We seldom use the porch swing but we often sit in the hanging chairs which are really nice and allow you to spin all the way around to see everything.

I've wanted to live in this house since I was a little kid, love the porch, complete wrap around. My grandad knew the old man who lived there then. I've actually drank water from the well behind it. They built a well house over it. Back then there were dozens of huge old pecan trees around it, hard to see from the road. Still a few left.

I heard last fall it is a total loss, termites gutted it... It stayed empty for about a decade. A descendant of the man I knew owned it, lived out of state, paid for lawn care, kept it painted but dropped the pest control. Shame...

white house (1) sm.JPG
white house (4) sm.JPG

Last edited:
This thread gives me huge porch envy.

The wife has always wanted a covered porch. Unfortunately, our cabin’s design and the heavy snow load make a covered porch unpractical, so I built her a wrap around deck on three sides, and a series of decks on some other structures. Every time we shovel the decks, I get an earful about her wanting a covered porch.

This thread gives me huge porch envy.

The wife has always wanted a covered porch. Unfortunately, our cabin’s design and the heavy snow load make a covered porch unpractical, so I built her a wrap around deck on three sides, and a series of decks on some other structures. Every time we shovel the decks, I get an earful about her wanting a covered porch.
Hey, a covered porch is no guarantee that the porch will be snow free after a snowfall. Ask me how I know.

Hey, a covered porch is no guarantee that the porch will be snow free after a snowfall. Ask me how I know.

I used your quote on my wife and got a healthy dose of stink eye. I guess certain facts should remain unspoken. 😀

The Princess used a severance to have our front porch closed in with big windows and 6 inch walls. It also has a rocking chair where I sit to watch it snow and in the summer watch sunsets.

She claims it is one of the best investments she ever made.

Ben

The Princess used a severance to have our front porch closed in with big windows and 6 inch walls. It also has a rocking chair where I sit to watch it snow and in the summer watch sunsets.

She claims it is one of the best investments she ever made.

Ben
Sounds nice, but then it's no longer a porch. :)

Latest posts

Back