Portable Soup

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A couple days ago I boiled some chicken thighs to debone to make Chicken Spaghetti for dinner. I had already planned to boil a couple turkeys to clean out the freezer for space and knew I was going to be canning that broth so wanted to try something else to do with my chicken broth. This is what I found that I wanted to try out. I started it out a couple days ago on high but had to work the overnight shift Fri so turned it down to low. It is almost at the point of turning off to cool then let a fan blow on it to dry.

That is cool! Wonder what the storage or shelf life would be. The Mrs thought it was cool. Told her she's missing out on some good and interesting info on this site.

If someone here manages to get this stuff made, be sure and report back. It looks interesting, but the first thing I'd want to know is how the final product compares (taste and usability) to ready-made bullion. It would have to be better, not just "as good", to make all this time and effort to create it worthwhile. When it comes out of the crock pot, it looks very much like the stuff you can buy at the store already pre-made, named "Better Than Bullion". You do have to refrigerate Better Than Bullion after opening the jar. I wonder if you could dry it as in the video rather than refrigerate it?

If someone here manages to get this stuff made, be sure and report back. It looks interesting, but the first thing I'd want to know is how the final product compares (taste and usability) to ready-made bullion. It would have to be better, not just "as good", to make all this time and effort to create it worthwhile. When it comes out of the crock pot, it looks very much like the stuff you can buy at the store already pre-made, named "Better Than Bullion". You do have to refrigerate Better Than Bullion after opening the jar. I wonder if you could dry it as in the video rather than refrigerate it?
A have a vague recollection of it being carried dried in a cake form 'in story and fable'. Possibly added to beets and/or turnips in a stew. Perhaps even over an open fire, with field corn, by a bindlestiff. [Ah, my spellchecker has never seen that word, 'bindlestiff''. How soon we forget.]

Back