Possible Poultry Food Problem.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A neighbor mentioned today that some chicken owners are feeding their flock table scraps and other real food because they noticed the bags of feed at the farm store may be the problem behind lack of egg production in the winter. The claim is that when better food was provided to the birds they started laying more frequently even during the winter months. My GF checked into it and found this. Sorry, it is tictock, but some may want to watch it. Anyways, there are claims that someone sent off a sample of the Dumor brand bag food and the chemical analysis claimed it has NO protein value. A few more people are sending off for the same test, it is early, this is nothing but rumors at this point, but worth paying attention to for more information.
Last summer we began a small area of alfalfa, grass and other green grass varieties for our birds to graze on occasionally, hopefully we can expand the area this spring. But, aside from that I don't know how economical it will be to try and get more protein to our birds. I doubt we can get them meat for less than the bag feed, but even if we had to do meat because the bag food was no longer available I don't know if the return will be worth the investment. There is not much of a natural food supply in the desert. Our best option would be the bucket of meat hanging over the chicken area so maggots and call out through holes in the bottom of the bucket, but we would need several buckets to have enough maggots to feed all the birds. I could hunt for jackrabbits for meat for the birds but that would take a lot of time out of the day, especially as the local population gets harvested first requiring me to go further and further as time goes by.

Has anyone else heard of problems with poultry food quality?

I've been keeping up-to-date on this situation. At first, I thought it likely that laying ability had fallen off due to Winter and possible moult, and the problem was being exaggerated.
I don't believe it is now. I've seen several reports of chicken hen owners feeding goat feed, and adding in sunflower seed. Production picked back up rather quickly.
As an experiment, I bought a 10 lb. bag of Dumor chicken feed (I usually use New Country Organics layer feed) and fed that for a few days. All 7 of my hens were laying. After 6 days, I was getting 3 eggs a day. I decided that was enough and stopped and got them back on their regular feed.
You have good ideas, but worry if that method of meat would bring critters you'd rather not have around your flock.
In a pinch, you could feed a few of the eggs back to your chickens for protein and calcium (but some may develop a taste and start attacking the eggs laid over time-so don't do it for very long) or add in seed like the sunflower seed. Goat or hog feed will do if need be for awhile. It's not a perfect fix-but will keep them alive and laying until something better can be done.

I went to Natural News link but could not locate the actual article to put a direct link here.

1675091659100.png

We normally use Country Companion brand feed, available at both IFA and CAL Ranch but CAL Ranch is usually better priced. A couple years ago when we first got ducklings we bought a bag of Purina brand feed and the ducks started getting sick and we lost a few before the girls realized they were happy and healthy until the Purina food was introduced at about 6 weeks of age. They will never buy Purina again.
We are keeping an eye out for any information related to feed and I will share anything of interest.

I have a pretty good supply of wheat and tritical from our local grain mill. They clean out the system between running different products and so it is a mi of chaff and grains. Very cheap and the birds seem to like it.
If you want to see chickens go bonkers feed them some out of date ground beef or dried meal worms. I also fed ours some out of date peanut butter which they seem to have fun with but now are requesting jam to go with it.

We get Organic Layer pellets from a Co-op in Grants Pass, Oregon, it seems to be exceptional, 12 barred rocks and 8 rhode Island reds are happy and healthy, they give us between 13 to 17 eggs a day. They get to run all over our place and eat a lot of new growth grass, bugs and earthworms. We've used the Co-op feed for many years and the hens have always given us about as many eggs as they are capable of laying. We listen to the Health Ranger, Mike Adams and he does have some of the best food testing equipment available, he makes sure that food products he sells are free of harmful chemicals and dangerous metals.

I have a pretty good supply of wheat and tritical from our local grain mill. They clean out the system between running different products and so it is a mi of chaff and grains. Very cheap and the birds seem to like it.
If you want to see chickens go bonkers feed them some out of date ground beef or dried meal worms. I also fed ours some out of date peanut butter which they seem to have fun with but now are requesting jam to go with it.
I've been tossing around the idea of growing meal worms to feed to my meat birds this summer. I know that a lot of people with reptile pets grow them in tupperware containers. I wonder if this could be a simple solution to the decline in feed quality.

Tucker Carlson did a segment on this two days ago.
It seems that the problem is confined to certain brands made by Purina.
The Dumor brand is one, there was at least one more, the name escapes me at the moment.
I do not believe this is some massive conspiracy.

It may not be a conspiracy but those companies purposely produced and sold inadequate feed to thousands, or millions, of people knowing it would provide little benefit the the animals or the owners.
That reason right there, and that alone, is enough of a reason to never buy that brand again. Not to feed my dogs or cats with, and any farm animal feed to livestock.
If the testing comes back conclusive that bad faith was involved, that's it.

Latest posts

Back