Possibly Looking to share my Homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you can find some motivated members who are having a hard time finding the land to turn into their homestead?
That NEVER EVER works. NEVER. It sounds good, it "FEELS" good. But just does not work. It is called, "having Skin in the game".

Wish I had the phone with me today to get a pic. Calf is getting around and doing fine if skinny. Looks like it's bigger framed every time I see it. Red looks like she's carrying five gallons of milk easy! Wish someone wanted to milk her. I personally hardly ever use milk. Her bags are huge and her teats are too. Dawn hardly had any I couldn't have imagined trying to milk her but Red on the other hand would be a handful!

I'll leave it to those with experience

I'm wondering how it can work though is there some secret glue
It can work, I have seen it. Study up on the term: "sharecropper".
Take the farm I grew up on. 350 acres, vacant since my mom passed.
It proved in the past that with 8 strong, energetic, young men, it could crank out megabux as a cattle ranch.
Today, only the big pastures are rented out to a neighbor to grow soybeans.
The rest sits fallow. :mad:
I already did my '15 years at hard labor' so I can't help:(.

Last edited:
It can work, I have seen it. Study up on the term: "sharecropper".
Take the farm I grew up on. 350 acres, vacant since my mom passed.
It proved in the past that with 8 strong, energetic, young men, it could crank out megabux as a cattle ranch.
Today, only the big pastures are rented out to a neighbor to grow soybeans.
The rest sits fallow. :mad:
I already did my '15 years at hard labor' so I can't help:(.
I kinda see it like how they used to have in the medieval ages where the village would be surrounded by the farm land and pastures

A friend has a smal area to park a camper, schoolie or tiny house. He gets $600 a month pus electricity. We rent out two small apartments in our house and it pays the mortgage.
We rent month to month and rent is payable in cash. If the renter has a skill I hire them and pay wages. They still pay the rent every month or they have to leave.

Never expect others to have your work ethic or want to care for the land as much as you do. I have advertised a good deal on rent if the renter would help out with the garden and our 13 chickens......not one person was interested..

So we rent our little apartments and they buy pizza to eat.

Right now we have a small living space or a space for a camper/trailer.....just saying..

A friend has a smal area to park a camper, schoolie or tiny house. He gets $600 a month pus electricity. We rent out two small apartments in our house and it pays the mortgage.
We rent month to month and rent is payable in cash. If the renter has a skill I hire them and pay wages. They still pay the rent every month or they have to leave.

Never expect others to have your work ethic or want to care for the land as much as you do. I have advertised a good deal on rent if the renter would help out with the garden and our 13 chickens......not one person was interested..

So we rent our little apartments and they buy pizza to eat.

Right now we have a small living space or a space for a camper/trailer.....just saying..
This is a good idea

Would need to run such an idea by the Mrs

We aren't really in the place yet but are looking at maybe in April or so to start thinking of leaving NYC

Man this calf is growing quick fast and in a hurry! output_image1693435203467.jpg

Funny guy just got back to me about breeding my dexter heifer's from where I contacted him in Sept 2019 Think he may be a little late like 4 years late!

Looks like things are fixin to get a little more interesting around here. Tomorrow we go to meet a young lady who wants to try homesteading life off grid. I've arranged for a camper for her to stay in and I'm planning to let her use up to an acre for her own in exchange for helping me a day or two a week around the place. It may well be a huge mistake but sometimes ya just gotta take a chance! If this place is ever going to move forward from here I need help to make it happen.

Looks like things are fixin to get a little more interesting around here. Tomorrow we go to meet a young lady who wants to try homesteading life off grid. I've arranged for a camper for her to stay in and I'm planning to let her use up to an acre for her own in exchange for helping me a day or two a week around the place. It may well be a huge mistake but sometimes ya just gotta take a chance! If this place is ever going to move forward from here I need help to make it happen.
Just aways make sure you have a exit stratagy; and a agreement what you won't tolorate. Before someone moves in I try to get a firm idea of what they have been doing before I meet them. The best intentions don't always work.

This is a good idea

Would need to run such an idea by the Mrs

We aren't really in the place yet but are looking at maybe in April or so to start thinking of leaving NYC
By all means make your dream happen.
there are other places that have jobs and amenities without millions of people next door.

Attachments

• 20200806_200913.jpg
    20200806_200913.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 0
We made the run to Richmond yesterday and met Lefty. Everything seemed okay so she came back with us. She had to sleep in the girls room last night, today we try and move her camper in place and start getting it setup. She started a Youtube channel about her new adventure I will get you guys a link if you want.

It was cold as crap last night I'm glad she opted to stay upstairs for the night or she would have frozen, dropped to 24f overnight. I think her day yesterday wore her out as she's still sleeping. I'll be waking her up soon as it's getting close to warm enough for me to work outside. Glad I was able to get a couple hours this morning.

If enough of the parts have arrived for the water pump we also have to get that done.

By all means spread her website around shoud be a good story. And now the great adventure begins for all of you.. 24 was cold eh....
Thankfully we are not acclimated to the temps you folks farther north are. We seldom see temps much below 15f so yes for us 24 suddenly is cold.

In various situations I have worked with and been associated with people who really didn't grasp the need to prepare or dress for the occasion. long ago on the oklahoma plains where the temps in amoung the barracks and the sun were quite comfortable and the uniform for the day was arctic gear people complained ......but once out where the arctic wind was blowing straight from canada nobody complained.
Recenty here in montana I have interacted with people moving here from other warmer places, in the summer we will see 95 degrees so they think this is simiar to where they came from. I generally hand them my winter coat which is heavy and has a thick inner liner with hood and they don't believe me at first they will need that much coat in the winter; This is why I stock used winter coats so people can be productive till they convince themselves that certain things are neccesarry.
Still my number one tip for sleeping when the temps are beow freezing is the mummy bag inside of the larger sleeping bag. A toasty nights sleep makes the next day so much better.

Not so much connected to this thread but it always interests me how people adapt to a different situation.

...Still my number one tip for sleeping when the temps are beow freezing is the mummy bag inside of the larger sleeping bag. A toasty nights sleep makes the next day so much better.

..Yep, and Don't Forget to put yer 'Next Day's Clothes' in the same sack with ya, so when you Wake up / change into 'em.. They're Also nice n toasty, instead of 35˚ like the Rest of the room / tent / whatever.. :cool:

Follow Me for More Pro-Tips from the School of Hard Derps. ;)

jd

Latest posts

Back