Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this guy in my chicken pen this morning. You could say he robbed the wrong coop !
BFEEB580-E805-4EC1-A48D-8C8780EFD5B0.jpeg

A few years ago during a holiday family gathering… Someone noticed my horse and donkey were acting very, very strange… It was true, I’d never seen them spooked like that before.

Several of us walked up to the old peach orchard to see what was going on. It was a coyote with an empty milk jug stuck on his head. Too weird, he was wandering around, usually backwards. He kept running into trees. I watched him try to get it off a couple of times, unsuccessfully. I even called the game warden, his recommendation was to put it down. One of the youngsters had a rifle so... He’d probably have died of thirst.

Coyote (4).jpg

A few years ago during a holiday family gathering… Someone noticed my horse and donkey were acting very, very strange… It was true, I’d never seen them spooked like that before.

Several of us walked up to the old peach orchard to see what was going on. It was a coyote with an empty milk jug stuck on his head. Too weird, he was wandering around, usually backwards. He kept running into trees. I watched him try to get it off a couple of times, unsuccessfully. I even called the game warden, his recommendation was to put it down. One of the youngsters had a rifle so... He’d probably have died of thirst.

View attachment 63918
That’s something ya don’t see every day!!

That’s something ya don’t see every day!!

I'd forgotten about it until you posted the chicken coop raider this morning. I'd never seen anything like it. It was funny and sad.

I lived up in TN long ago, near Manchester. Anyway, I knew some guys who hunted coyotes in a funny way. I don't know who figured it out but canines can't see black lights. Old fashioned black lights once sold in head shops in the 60's & 70's.

They'd run a couple hundred ft of power cord to a tree at the edge of a field then hang a black light in the tree and bait. Coyotes would come up at night thinking they couldn't be seen and get popped.

I'd forgotten about it until you posted the chicken coop raider this morning. I'd never seen anything like it. It was funny and sad.

I lived up in TN long ago, near Manchester. Anyway, I knew some guys who hunted coyotes in a funny way. I don't know who figured it out but canines can't see black lights. Old fashioned black lights once sold in head shops in the 60's & 70's.

They'd run a couple hundred ft of power cord to a tree at the edge of a field then hang a black light in the tree and bait. Coyotes would come up at night thinking they couldn't be seen and get popped.
That's useful information. Thanks Peanut!

Good to see ya back on here.

Hope all is well.

Jim
Thanks for that! To be honest, I’m really not into the homesteading thing. I came over with the firearm forum that folded. That said, there’s some good folks here for sure! I’ll stop through now and again if that’s okay...

I didn’t know whether to put this under "post a photo”, “rants”, “frugal tips” or “family pets”, sort of fits under all of them.

I keep a feed storage bin on my porch filled with dog food. A few years ago, when my mom was still able to get to my porch, she complained about how it “looked”, despite the fact it’s 200ft from the highway and behind a hedge at the edge of my porch. No one can see whats on my porch, especially when I put up my UV plant shade in warm months.

Beside the convenience for feeding my dogs it’s the perfect height for an end table by my chair. If I sit out on the porch it’s great for sitting a glass of tea on, or a paper plate w/a sandwich etc. Also, perfect when I’m cooking/smoking burgers or dogs on my little smokey joe grill. It’s 20inches in diameter, lots of area. I dislike buying anything that only has one use. I try to figure out multiple uses for anything I buy, even things for which it was never intended (frugal). (I also keep a large can for recyclables on the porch)

The rant part… Last evening when I fed the dogs I didn’t snap the lid back on the bin properly. So my dogs nudged the lid aside and ate their fill all night and this morning, at least 20lbs of food (big dogs). This morning they looked like the starving kids in Africa I see on tv with distended abdomens.

I feed the big dog on the porch and the pup in the house. If one is taking medications it makes sense to feed them separate. This is a pic of the pup when I fed them this morning… To lazy and to stand and eat from the bowl, he just lay there like a beached whale with kibble dropping on the floor. (I hate my 47yrold kitchen cabinets, wish I could afford to gut my entire kitchen and start over).

pup hungry (1).JPG
pup hungry (2).JPG

Last edited:
The French Quarter, New Orleans Friday afternoon 04-23-21 taken by the Mrs:
0423211713_HDR_resized.jpg

This is how well your lockdowns and restrictions are working.
Thousands of people. No special event or holiday, just a Friday afternoon.
Yes, there will be life after covid.
nod.gif

Hide if you want to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back