Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notice the odd one.

Momma cat with racoon baby.jpg

This day, 145 years ago, June 25, 1876 was Custer's last stand.
South Dakota History of Cities, Towns, places and people who made it great!
Pretty Nose.jpg

"On June 25, 1876, a battalion of the 7th Cavalry, led by George Armstrong Custer, was wiped out by an overwhelming force of Lakota, Dakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho.
There are many stories that come from this most famous battle of the Indian Wars. However, the most overlooked account is of the women warriors who fought alongside their male counterparts.
Minnie Hollow Wood, Moving Robe Woman, Pretty Nose (pictured), One-Who-Walks-With-The-Stars, and Buffalo Calf Road Woman were among the more notable female fighters.
Pretty Nose fought with the Cheyenne/Arapaho detachment.
One-Who-Walks-With-The-Stars (Lakota) killed two soldiers trying to flee the fight.
Minnie Hollow Wood earned a Lakota war-bonnet for her participation, a rare honor.
Lakota Moving Robe Woman fought to avenge the death of her brother.
And Cheyenne Buffalo Calf Road Woman holds the distinction of being the warrior who knocked Custer off his horse, hastening the demise of the over-confident Lt. Colonel."

Last edited:
One of my neighbors had a red rhodesian ridgeback. Beautiful dogs.

I took pictures of my barn:
barncenter6-26-2021_1.jpg
barnloft6-26-2021_1.jpg
barnnorthcomp6-26-2021_1.jpg
barnroofsouthwest6-26-2021_1.jpg

Inside that last pic is where we have lumber stored
The ground in front of the center is all muddy. The stall mat I put down was destroyed.
barnmud6-26-2021_2.jpg

There are two sections of lumber stacks. One stack has the supports broken/breaking. Need to shore it up somehow.
barnlumber6-26-2021_2.jpg
barnlumber6-26-2021_2.jpg
barnlumber6-26-2021_3.jpg
barnlumber6-26-2021_4.jpg
barnlumber6-26-2021_6.jpg
barnlumber6-26-2021_11.jpg

I didn't know they existed. Learn something new everyday.
Funny this dog looks like the puppies we got from our Rott and Dalmatian mating. Minus the ridge.
You live in Africa. Are Rhodesian ridgebacks common there?

My daughter has had two ridgebacks and I was the main caregiver of the second one. Daughter is a busy, social woman and her last ridgie had health issues that required 4 different meds, one being given half an hour before she ate. She was the runt of her litter and part of the treatment for her health was that she ate 3 times a day. Her meds made her have frequent trips outside, sometimes every 10 minutes. She needed someone who could be there for her and I was more than willing and able to do it for her because I am retired.
Crosby laying in the grass in the shade.jpg
Crosby, sweater and snow.jpg

You live in Africa. Are Rhodesian ridgebacks common there?

My daughter has had two ridgebacks and I was the main caregiver of the second one. Daughter is a busy, social woman and her last ridgie had health issues that required 4 different meds, one being given half an hour before she ate. She was the runt of her litter and part of the treatment for her health was that she ate 3 times a day. Her meds made her have frequent trips outside, sometimes every 10 minutes. She needed someone who could be there for her and I was more than willing and able to do it for her because I am retired.View attachment 68657View attachment 68658

In South Africa, yes. I saw them pretty often. They seemed to be a favorite for many people. I remember the first time I saw one, I thought that it was a very angry dog; "the hackles are up and staying up!" 🤣 I was 13. From what I saw Mastiffs - other than the South African mastiff - were also very common.

I've only seen one Ridgeback here in Gabon, though. But more and more breeds are being introduced. Interestingly enough, Rottweilers here are unfortunately not that healthy. Because there weren't that many in the past, people wanting Rotties would look around for males or females not realizing that they may have come from the same bloodline and it ended up with very sickly dogs. We had a puppy last year who got sick and died and the vet had told us that Rottweilers bred here weren't a safe bet, until they diversified the gene pool a little.

What happened to your daughter's dog? Did she end up going back to your daughter?

In South Africa, yes. I saw them pretty often. They seemed to be a favorite for many people. I remember the first time I saw one, I thought that it was a very angry dog; "the hackles are up and staying up!" 🤣 I was 13. From what I saw Mastiffs - other than the South African mastiff - were also very common.

I've only seen one Ridgeback here in Gabon, though. But more and more breeds are being introduced. Interestingly enough, Rottweilers here are unfortunately not that healthy. Because there weren't that many in the past, people wanting Rotties would look around for males or females not realizing that they may have come from the same bloodline and it ended up with very sickly dogs. We had a puppy last year who got sick and died and the vet had told us that Rottweilers bred here weren't a safe bet, until they diversified the gene pool a little.

What happened to your daughter's dog? Did she end up going back to your daughter?
Crosby had lots of health issues, and that is why I spent so much time with her. She was never with me 100% of the time. I had her during the days, 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., and sometimes as late as 9:00 p.m., at daughter's home. I had her full time when daughter traveled. Ridgebacks tend to have a person who is their preferred person, and it was me, because of the time I spent with her and what I did to make her short life the best it could be.
We knew early on that she had health issues. Vet said she would not live to be a year old and wanted to put her down. Daughter said no and spent lots of money to keep her as healthy as she could be. Meds & Specialized food was not cheap.

She was 2 weeks short of being 4 years old when we lost her. When she was spayed at 6 months, it was done at Colorado State University, a school with veterinarian training. They did exploratory surgery at the same time as her spay surgery and saw that her liver was scarred, cirrhosis. It is not known what caused it, but evidently it isn't unknown. The medications and special diet she ate helped her quality of life. Her vet always considered her a miracle.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/in-loving-memory-of-crosby.7122/

Last edited:
Crosby had lots of health issues, and that is why I spent so much time with her. She was never with me 100% of the time. I had her during the days, 8 a.m. until 5 p.m., and sometimes as late as 9:00 p.m., at daughter's home. I had her full time when daughter traveled. Ridgebacks tend to have a person who is their preferred person, and it was me, because of the time I spent with her and what I did to make her short life the best it could be.
We knew early on that she had health issues. Vet said she would not live to be a year old and wanted to put her down. Daughter said no and spent lots of money to keep her as healthy as she could be. Meds & Specialized food was not cheap.

She was 2 weeks short of being 4 years old when we lost her. When she was spayed at 6 months, it was done at Colorado State University, a school with veterinarian training. They did exploratory surgery at the same time as her spay surgery and saw that her liver was scarred, cirrhosis. It is not known what caused it, but evidently it isn't unknown. The medications and special diet she ate helped her quality of life. Her vet always considered her a miracle.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/in-loving-memory-of-crosby.7122/
I'm sorry. It's beautiful in its own way whenever people or animals exceed doctors' expectations. And that you made her life the best it could be.

This train bridge has been a challenge for many trucks and truckers over the years. There is a truck route so that they can miss the bridge, but evidently it is quicker to go under the bridge, until you get stuck like this. Pierre, S.D.

View attachment 68707
Overpasses list their height. Truckers know their vehicle height. What the heck???

Even if the overpasses sign is missing or the trucker is delinquent in not knowing their height, you'd think estimation and extra caution would rule. If I saw that bridge this guy is stuck under, I would not even have gone under that with my van (which has an extended top) without very careful checking of height as I approached VERY SLOWLY!

This picture is not of an accident. It is of stupidity manifesting itself.

Overpasses list their height. Truckers know their vehicle height. What the heck???

Even if the overpasses sign is missing or the trucker is delinquent in not knowing their height, you'd think estimation and extra caution would rule. If I saw that bridge this guy is stuck under, I would not even have gone under that with my van (which has an extended top) without very careful checking of height as I approached VERY SLOWLY!

This picture is not of an accident. It is of stupidity manifesting itself.
This particular bridge has flashing lights and warning signs. The average number of trucks that get stuck under it is about 8 per year.

Last edited:
It takes very little to get a CDL today. We have several truck driving schools all around here and they will take anyone with $4000. Minimal English required. You pass a test and just like that, you are a truck driver. Actually, you are a truck steerer.
My Granddaughter got tired of retail work so she went to truck driving school, paid her $4000, and in a very short time, she was driving a 45' trailer around the city at night. She had multiple job offers so she took the one that didn't require her to drive long distances, no out of town, no weekends and they paid for her school after a year, and she started at $28 an hour.
I got hit by a semi and the guy that said he was driving, I don't know if he was or the other guy was, was from India. Spoke very limited English, was licensed in Tennessee, drove from a trucking outfit in California, and was insured through a company in England.
Truck drivers today aren't like the truck driver of years ago.

It takes very little to get a CDL today. We have several truck driving schools all around here and they will take anyone with $4000. Minimal English required. You pass a test and just like that, you are a truck driver. Actually, you are a truck steerer.
My Granddaughter got tired of retail work so she went to truck driving school, paid her $4000, and in a very short time, she was driving a 45' trailer around the city at night. She had multiple job offers so she took the one that didn't require her to drive long distances, no out of town, no weekends and they paid for her school after a year, and she started at $28 an hour.
I got hit by a semi and the guy that said he was driving, I don't know if he was or the other guy was, was from India. Spoke very limited English, was licensed in Tennessee, drove from a trucking outfit in California, and was insured through a company in England.
Truck drivers today aren't like the truck driver of years ago.
So many today can't even stay in their lane on the highway. My late FIL drove a semi in downtown KC for 20 years and never had an accident. He said that when he retired they would hire anyone.

I have a trail camera next to the stock tank I keep filled for the elk. The bull elk have already grown fairly large antlers and now we also have baby elk too. The Fish & Wildlife department has already collared a few baby elk and here is a picture of one.
016.JPG
090.JPG
005.JPG

Latest posts

Back