Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That particular baby elk does not still have the collar on it. A Fish & Game employee stopped at my house a couple days ago to ask permission to walk on my property. She said she was tracking a collared baby elk and now the collar was stationary(feared dead). I said fine and she came back with the collar that had fallen off the baby. They fold over the collar in a couple spots and weakly stitch it so if the collar gets caught on something the stitches rip free and make the collar much larger, usually large enough to fall off. (like sewing darts in the waist of a pair of pants)
There are several collared cow elk that visit our place regularly. So far I have never seen a collared bull elk.
I talked to the F&G employee for a while because she was pretty :)

This train bridge has been a challenge for many trucks and truckers over the years. There is a truck route so that they can miss the bridge, but evidently it is quicker to go under the bridge, until you get stuck like this. Pierre, S.D.

View attachment 68707
GPS said I could go under that bridge...it is a white Volvo, so...
Private schools are a higher standard than any company school. I went to a private academy with a very high reputation and was hired a week before I gradjeeated. I am a student driver and have been driving for 22 years. I am still learning and when I cannot learn anything new about trucking I will become a greeter at Maomart of a "want fries wif dat." type of dude.

Happy Independence Day
from Charlotte NC
54F11891-ADFC-4F9F-B9D4-EDD64E0D8BA6.jpeg

Well, my Grandpa just finished his 18 month neighborhood common area project. He moved to a new 55+ Neighborhood, one of his arguments for the move was, “I’m getting my knees replaced & yard work for me is becoming too hard.” That argument didn’t last long. This area deemed unusable by the builder, across the street from my grandparents home, was too much fun for my Grandpa to pass up.
B1B69681-FC98-428D-A1AD-29A7336755AA.jpeg
98385E10-1E60-48C5-8550-7E5018CD7318.jpeg

He has cleaned up the forest debris, we cut down dead trees, moved rocks to planned locations, him & my Grandmother placed woodland creatures throughout, labeled the different species of plants, built seating & tables with the logs we cut.
86B1FD18-77C5-443B-B326-C58028F0AA63.jpeg
190CA1BF-C137-489E-A357-61D778BEB4D9.jpeg
DB39C7D2-3CA3-4EB5-A359-CC384AA191BC.jpeg
673B30FF-F050-42EA-B121-280A6C7777EC.jpeg
He’s fertilizing the natural plants he wants to grow & spread new pine needles throughout.

He created an elaborate 4 phase neighborhood voting system to agree on a name for the area which started with 44 suggested names. The final vote was Neighbors Nook. The neighbors are blown away with the progress & are asking when the Grand Opening is scheduled.

Im so proud of this Guy! 😊

One of my kids hiked up to columbine lake in Colorado. Looks like ice still in the lake and they were there just this last weekend.
View attachment 69036

Snow on the mountains and ice on the lake! Colorado is hogging all the water!!😂

Well, my Grandpa just finished his 18 month neighborhood project.

him & my Grandmother placed woodland creatures throughout
Looks great but...

Don't forget the game cameras! You know what's going to happen the first time some residents punk teenage grandkids visit this summer... so much for the little forest critters. :(

Its been a month or so since I worked on the corral. So this afternoon I checked out the area where I'd cleared all the brush out, getting the plan back in my mind as to what needs to be done.

This is what happened in the last month... Almost every leaf in the photo is poison ivy! There is a carpet of pi about 30ftx50ft and about a foot deep covering the whole area.

I'll have to dig out a long sleeve shirt/pants, old work gloves and a face shield. Then tackle it with a weed eater. When there is this much poison ivy I won't even attempt to wash the clothes or bring them in the house, they go in a trash bag.

View attachment 67996
Weed eater !?!?!? Wouldn’t that fling the PI oil over everything and everyone? Mypreferred PI killer is Roundup.

Two ridgebacks with a jaguar in a wildlife sanctuary in Oregon. The dogs and cat are friends.View attachment 68689
Ooh that's a cheetah. You can tell by the 'tear marks" at the corner of the eyes.
I watched a documentary once that gave the Kenyan (I think) folklore of how they got those lines.

Cheetahs are the smallest and most fragile of the African big cats and because they were ostracized and picked on by the bigger ones, like lions and leopards, it made them sad and they would cry and cry and cry to the point that the tear marks left lines in their skin and fur.

I saw a kingfisher on a clothesline when I took Jack out for a walk earlier. I badly wanted to get closer but I knew it would fly away. So I had to zoom in instead.
Case in point, when I took a couple of steps forward to see if I could get another pic, it flew away to the other side of the clothesline.

IMG_20210710_170452.jpg

One of only a few things I spend “stupid money on. The view from my season ticket seats at Marlins Park in Miami…
I've only been to a handful of professional baseball games in my life. Most of them, I had cheap seats that were about 10 stories high and miles away from the action. The games were exceedingly boring from up there. You see the batter swing and start running, and he's already at third base before the sound of the bat hitting the ball makes it up to your section. But one time I had good seats. Close to what your picture shows above, but not quite that good. Still, very good seats that my friend who took me had. The game was totally different from that viewpoint. It was fun. It was exciting. I enjoyed it very much. The exact opposite of my experiences up in the nosebleed section.

But our sport here is hockey. We've had season tickets since the NHL came to town in 1995. And before that, we had season tickets to IHL hockey. That's how we got such good NHL seats. The new NHL team (the Colorado Avalanche) let the IHL season ticket holders have first dibs on seats for NHL season tickets. This picture is three rows directly down from our seats (we were talking with friends when I snapped this). We intentionally choose slightly higher seats because hockey games are brutal on your neck if you're right on the ice snapping your head left, then right, then left, then right to watch the (very fast) game. Also, there is plexiglass to keep stray pucks out of the audience and you want to be high enough to see over the plexiglass and not have the top edge of it bisecting your field of vision. At the game below, the plexiglass had been temporarily replaced by a net. Not sure why. Maybe they were doing an upgrade/fix to the plexiglass and didn't finish before game time. Pucks rarely escape into the crowd at center ice, but the people seated in the corners of the rink would be hit all the time if it weren't for the plexiglass.

hockey_AVs.jpg

Latest posts

Back