Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a Montessori classroom on a weekend in Maryland, outside of Washington, DC, where they had been studying the systems of the body. They made models to illustrate what their body system might be like. The group that had the circulatory system used soldiers. Part of them were red and part of them were white. I thought it was pretty cool.

This picture describes the artsy-fartsy crowd quite well. Staring at a blank canvas, that cost $84,000, and calling it "art". To me, that looks more like something you'd nail to the side of your house to protect it during a hurricane.

art.png

How about a short walk down memory lane? Doing research I accidentally found websites with old logging equipment. I cut timber for extra cash in highschool for cousins. I spent some time in the seat of a cable skidder, skidding out tree length logs. This is a JD 440 series which came out in the 70's. Out of the back came steel cables which pulled the logs.

Not sure of the models I drove but they were JD's. I thought they were great. Unfortunately I spent most of my time with a 15lb chainsaw which can be brutal in the Alabama summer heat.

I found these pics of two-man chainsaws which were common in the 50's. My dad talks about running a two man saw working for his fil. He said it weighed about 100lbs. Now that would have been tough work.

Logging equipment 6  .jpg
Logging equipment 1  .jpg
Logging equipment 2  .jpg

Saw this in my yard... Strange looking plant. I know it by Dagga. It just showed up down by the highway one year and slowly spread up the driveway.

It's in the mint family, from India I think. I read somewhere it's used in Ayurvedic Medicine. I know nothing else about it.

1st pic, this week the next is a couple years ago.

Daga 1 a .JPG
Dagga d  (7).jpg

Our new post office lady wondered why there weren't any Halloween decorations up. I laughed. She's in an Amish community of maybe 800. They don't do Halloween. She's putting them up anyway.
We get alot of oohs and aahs when we put up Christmas lights.
The grandkids will carve pumpkins if they want. There's no trick or treating, so I'll buy them some candy. Last year I threw a big bag of it all over one of the barns and made them hunt for it. Won't do that again because I found wrappers everywhere for months

Just came back from visiting Maine for the first time and was so breath taking so I wanted to share some beautiful pictures 🥰

Attachments

• 20211007_091139.jpg
    20211007_091139.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 38
  • 20211007_114509.jpg
    20211007_114509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20211005_171001.jpg
    20211005_171001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20211007_114822.jpg
    20211007_114822.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20211004_181548.jpg
    20211004_181548.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
How about a short walk down memory lane? Doing research I accidentally found websites with old logging equipment. I cut timber for extra cash in highschool for cousins. I spent some time in the seat of a cable skidder, skidding out tree length logs. This is a JD 440 series which came out in the 70's. Out of the back came steel cables which pulled the logs.

Not sure of the models I drove but they were JD's. I thought they were great. Unfortunately I spent most of my time with a 15lb chainsaw which can be brutal in the Alabama summer heat.

I found these pics of two-man chainsaws which were common in the 50's. My dad talks about running a two man saw working for his fil. He said it weighed about 100lbs. Now that would have been tough work.

View attachment 73212View attachment 73213View attachment 73214
My dad's cousins were loggers in Oregon. They had 6 foot chainsaws. Somewhere I have a photo of one. My chain saw? 14 inches! LOL!

Had a nice trip into the mountains today. Here is a few pics

Saw about 20 elk spread out. This was my best pic by far

Beautiful, when stationed in Norfolk I tried to take a 2-day drive on the Pkway every fall. I tried to do it the third week of Oct. It's been years since I was there last, miss it.

Latest posts

Back