Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 75601Hubby was taking down this stump, but instead he's getting a gazing ball for it to recreate The Great Eye!! But he claims NOT to be a Lord of the Rings fan!
Please post photos!

The Princess and I are fans and planning to start Hobbithon (where we watch the extended versions in chronological order) this weekend. I have a hobbit hole themed remodel of our family room on hold waiting for me to finish my other remodel projects.

Ben

Please post photos!

The Princess and I are fans and planning to start Hobbithon (where we watch the extended versions in chronological order) this weekend. I have a hobbit hole themed remodel of our family room on hold waiting for me to finish my other remodel projects.

Ben
Will do!

I have owned this land for 11 years. This is the gate @ the county road. The gate is locked. I do not have a key to the lock. In 11 years I have never opened this gate. Why bother: there is no road behind it. It all grew-over with brush years ago. I am seriously considering thinking about hiring someone this winter to "push" a road (driveway?) into this land. Maybe will leave the gate and put the road off to the side, so the gate can remain locked for another decade or two.
DSC00363.JPG

I have owned this land for 11 years. This is the gate @ the county road. The gate is locked. I do not have a key to the lock. In 11 years I have never opened this gate. Why bother: there is no road behind it. It all grew-over with brush years ago. I am seriously considering thinking about hiring someone this winter to "push" a road (driveway?) into this land. Maybe will leave the gate and put the road off to the side, so the gate can remain locked for another decade or two.View attachment 75614
That is so cool.

Consider adding another lock in parallel with a metal tag recording the fact you listed above ?

My family has owned my place for most it's existence. Previous generations have recorded their mark through the decades.

Nice

Ben

I have owned this land for 11 years. This is the gate @ the county road. The gate is locked. I do not have a key to the lock. In 11 years I have never opened this gate. Why bother: there is no road behind it. It all grew-over with brush years ago. I am seriously considering thinking about hiring someone this winter to "push" a road (driveway?) into this land. Maybe will leave the gate and put the road off to the side, so the gate can remain locked for another decade or two.

Looks like home to me, eastern woodland, lots of white oak. Observation, or comparison... Here on the farm (generations) there were times when lanes or small roads were opened up. One comes to mind, fairly narrow. When it was between 2 saplings it wasn't an issue. 70 years later I had to move the lane because those trees got big.

If you plan moving in a building or ? I'd consider putting a road so if needed I could get a semi w/40ft trailer in there. Of course trailers are a big concern around here.

hay fields a ( 2)a.jpg

Had reason to be driving through southern Illinois yesterday. Ended up on Miller City Road where I was surprised to see river barges sitting in the middle of a field. These barges measure 195 feet in length, 35 feet in width and weigh in the neighborhood of 225 tons. Seems back in 2016 a nearby levee on the Mississippi River was breached and never repaired, and when the water went way high in 2019 the flow of water rushing through the levee carried (6) empty barges out into the field. (4) barges were retrieved before the receding water levels left the other (2) stranded. Over two years later they are still there. Also along the road were navigation buoys that floated in during the 2019 flood. Fields either covered with sand or eroded into ponds and dunes. I recall back after the 1993 record Mississippi river floods, driving down roads along fields covered with heavy deposits of sand. An old man told me the same thing happened to the same fields in the 1973 floods and in order to plant those fields again an extremely large plow pulled by multiple bulldozers was used to turn-over the top 4 feet of soil, burying the sand. He was not sure it could be done again as the big plow would simple turn up the sand from the previous plowing. Never heard if those fields were ever plantable again. A lot of ground along Miller City Road does not really look useable any more.
DSC00956.JPG
DSC00956.JPG
DSC00957.JPG
DSC00959.JPG
DSC00961.JPG

Of course the difference is that the car is only running while you are using it for transportation, whereas the cow is "running" 24/7 . Comments such as the above are intended to illicit an emotional response, rather than a rational one. I have always found it to be in my best interest to react to the world in a rational, rather than an emotional, fashion.

Just realized it's been a few years since I had real brisket :( I've had what passes for brisket here, TN, GA and Mississippi. Excellent brisket but not the real thing... except maybe a place in Nashville, they were just as good (but their Alabama white sauce sucked).

f vegan.jpg

I luv bald cypress trees (Taxodium distichum), a cousin of Sequoia's. There was one in florida that died a few years ago. Scientist reported it was 3400 years old. Most live to be 1000yrs old.

There is another species of cypress here called pond cypress (Taxodium ascendens). It's the smaller cousin of the bald cypress.

When folks find out I grew up hunting and fishing in a swamp they always ask "How do you keep from getting lost?". One of the terrain keys I look for are the bald cypress. They grow to 120ft. Around here they are the tallest trees in the swamp. They grow in groups, great landmarks.

These photos were labels as being in TX.

b tx 01.jpeg

Latest posts

Back