Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And again...this time a board from the previous unit fell off. The unit caught it on one end and the frame of a busted banding machine frame n sideways it went onto the catwalk. Neither me or the forklift driver saw the board on the rolls. Part of the issue is a few sprockets n bearings on the rolls are toast n need to be replaced. So the ride out the door can be a tad rough n boards on the top layer on the edge sometimes bounce off.
After two days in a row ..the millwright said he would go over it all n get some parts replaced if we have them. Parts are getting difficult to get tho so me n the driver are trying to be more vigilant.

Attachments

• 20220505_174923.jpg
    20220505_174923.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 10
It's creepy. I wonder what made someone want to build it with bones?
That is a good question. @Peanut, maybe, or maybe something with the Catholic church. The Catholic Church was doing all kinds of things to control peasants all over Europe. Confession to a priest at that time involved a penance, which was financial. Some of the rules and other ideas they were coming up with to gain wealth and to control peasants still exist today. Remember that bibles were not allowed.

The article below mentions the Hussite wars. My great great grandparents were Hussites and when they came to the U.S. and settled in eastern Nebraska, joined with other Hussites to start their own church. Eventually they found a Presbyterian minister to lead them, after a period of time of using Jan Hus's teachings at their Sunday services. Hussites were conscribed to the same area of villages in the old country, segregating them. They buried their bibles so that they would not be confiscated. Bibles were not common, even then, so it was possible and probably that a village may have had one that they shared and read from. If my ancestors were Hussites, and lived in that area, it is likely that some of them participated in the Hussite war and were possibly killed. That is the piece that makes me think that some of the bones may be from my ancestors.

I found this on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_OssuaryIn 1278, Henry, the abbot of the Cistercian monastery in Sedlec, was sent to the Holy Land by King Otakar II of Bohemia. He returned with a small amount of earth he had removed from Golgotha and sprinkled it over the abbey cemetery. The word of this pious act soon spread and the cemetery in Sedlec became a desirable burial site throughout Central Europe.

In the mid 14th century, during the Black Death, and after the Hussite Wars in the early 15th century, many thousands were buried in the abbey cemetery, so it had to be greatly enlarged.

Around 1400, a Gothic church was built in the center of the cemetery with a vaulted upper level and a lower chapel to be used as an ossuary for the mass graves unearthed during construction, or simply slated for demolition to make room for new burials.

After 1511, the task of exhuming skeletons and stacking their bones in the chapel was given to a half-blind monk of the order.

Between 1703 and 1710, a new entrance was constructed to support the front wall, which was leaning outward, and the upper chapel was rebuilt. This work, in the Czech Baroque style, was designed by Jan Santini Aichel.

In 1870, František Rint, a woodcarver, was employed by the Schwarzenberg family to put the bone heaps into order, yielding a macabre result. The signature of Rint, also executed in bone, appears on the wall near the entrance to the chapel.

And again...this time a board from the previous unit fell off. The unit caught it on one end and the frame of a busted banding machine frame n sideways it went onto the catwalk. Neither me or the forklift driver saw the board on the rolls. Part of the issue is a few sprockets n bearings on the rolls are toast n need to be replaced. So the ride out the door can be a tad rough n boards on the top layer on the edge sometimes bounce off.
After two days in a row ..the millwright said he would go over it all n get some parts replaced if we have them. Parts are getting difficult to get tho so me n the driver are trying to be more vigilant.
Ugh! Must be so frustrating!

I was thinking that perhaps you had previously lived in Wyoming? Does my memory serve me correctly?

A few summers ago I started watching the Tour de France. The bicyclists race thru small towns and villages. The cameras always showed important buildings, usually churches, and give background info. Beautiful little chapels going back many hundreds of years. To me, as enjoyable as the race.

In all my time in europe my one regret not seeing more of these churches. I saw Notre Dame of course, it was impressive. I really like the stained glass in these buildings, true art in its own right. I did see one in Sicily, a little village on a cliff overlooking the sea, had a tiny church from the 1200's. We sat outside a small cafe across from the church. Sat and watched the sunset over Mt. Etna. When it got dark I could see the glow of lava on Etna. One of those sights that stay with you.

This is the St. Vitus Cathedral, Prague. Never saw it, would have liked to.

View attachment 85882
I saw plenty when cruising the Med. We had a week when tours of Rome were available. Being an opportunist, stood everyone's watch for them making about $100 a day for doing so. Big money for a sailor in the 70s.

Ben

One of the things I miss is when I was a single guy living different places near one or the other shores of Lake Superior.. The Czech, Bohemian and like area immigrants, mostly Catholic, but not all.. They would have the absolute best church fund raiser dinners and bake sales....

No..I dont think I could take the wind there..I used to live in cali..almost 8 ago now already...whew!
This is good!

Please excuse my crazy memory. I have a memory of a woman who lived somewhere in Wyoming, I think. I don't know exactly where I remember her from. My little memory wondered if it was you and I have no idea why you came to mind when this woman came up in my mind. She was in a relationship with a guy who had issues, and maybe some legal problems. After they broke up, he was stalking her and coming around when she wasn't home. There were dogs that she was concerned about, hers, that he might take or hurt. Fuzzy memory, from a while ago. I was just thinking of all of it, and wish I knew that this woman's life got better.

This is good!

Please excuse my crazy memory. I have a memory of a woman who lived somewhere in Wyoming, I think. I don't know exactly where I remember her from. My little memory wondered if it was you and I have no idea why you came to mind when this woman came up in my mind. She was in a relationship with a guy who had issues, and maybe some legal problems. After they broke up, he was stalking her and coming around when she wasn't home. There were dogs that she was concerned about, hers, that he might take or hurt. Fuzzy memory, from a while ago. I was just thinking of all of it, and wish I knew that this woman's life got better.
Wow..I hope she is ok too..

My first batch of turkey all hatched! One chicken is in the mix too. I always hatch a chicken or two with turkeys. Last year I had a terrible hatch ..I got 2 out of dozens of eggs.
I'm thinking my tom just needed to figure out how to do his thing. It was his first breeding season last year...apparently he figured it out.
I put two chicks out with a turkey hen that has been sitting on eggs for 3 weeks. I dont think most of those eggs are viable because it got super cold when the nest was being laid. But I let her go broody anyways. I started collecting at the same time n today I gave her two chicks.
She snuggled them in under her right away..I'm going to go check on them. If she does ok she might get more here soon.
I wish the weather was better..its cold , windy n rain again. Woke up to snow..again..yesterday..uggh..

Attachments

• 20220508_193629.jpg
    20220508_193629.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 7
Miyako, one of our "house panthers", sitting on the new cat tree.

View attachment 85841
I love the name Miyako. I think I saw cat trees just like that at Samsclub recently. Black kitties are beautiful.

All 3 of my black & white kitties, plus Ginger. Yes, I know my bed is a mess. With my back ailing me I can't lift my mattress and everytime I try I get cats AND dogs jumping on it. LOL. I have a new mattress cover to put on but will they let me? Nooooo.
1652166291215.png

Gravy Jones was happy to be on the pillow
1652166364708.png

Yasuke leaning on my lap tray (I need a lint/hair roller to clean that mouse pad)
1652166434721.png

Latest posts

Back