Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd mortgage for gas money?

Afford mortage.jpg

It is frustrating, isn't it? Try Moringa and see if that helps you at all. It helps me a little, for energy, but not for the back so much. There is a thread about it.
I've tried mornings. I'm not a morning person. LOL.
This sweet little baby, Mochi, was full of burrs when I visited my friend's house the other day.
1652312297851.png
1652312351517.png
1652312379493.png

Ebony and Ivory? This has to be near New Orleans. Those trees and old man's beard moss? It looks so familiar.

View attachment 86283
The adhesive used to hold the ivory down was water soluble. The ivory is probably long gone. Ivory also goes pliable when wet. I am saving my collection for a possible inlay project.

Ben

I have probably caught and hauled 30 of them home over the last few years hoping to combat rats and other snakes. Anytime I see one I catch it and bring it home.
Black snakes are the desirable ones and are supposed to get rid of other not good snakes. I wonder what else you could potentially have? Copperheads? Rattlers? Cottonmouths?

Its a rat snake, I've heard they will kill copperheads, I put one in a barrel with a copperhead for a few days and he didn't eat the copperhead though.
We get rat snakes. They creep me out.
I wonder if rat snakes are the same thing as bull snakes? Or similar. Grandparents ranch had way too many rattlers and some snakes that they called bull snakes. While I am not a super fan of snakes in general, I do think they have some value. I had many nightmares about rattlers when I was a kid. I'd spend part of my summer on the ranch, get back to town, and for weeks have rattlesnake dreams every night.

Here we have whats called a "chicken snake". I think it's a sub species of a yellow rat snake. Very distinctive look.

I caught one trying to eat an egg a few summers ago. They swallow them whole. Funny, as a kid I stood with my grandpa and watched a chicken snake one afternoon. It had eaten a chicken egg, obvious lump in his body. Anyway, we watched this snake climb a wooden fence post repeatedly, then allow itself to fall off... Amazing, it was trying to break the egg! Grandpa killed it before allowing it to escape.

@Weedygarden I put a book with the bull snake in the reference area... Missouri Snakes. @hashbrown

Snake g chicken (1).JPG

Last edited:
Here we have whats called a "chicken snake". I think it's a sub species of a yellow rat snake. Very distinctive look.

I caught one trying to eat an egg a few summers ago. They swallow them whole. Funny, as a kid I stood with my grandpa and watched a chicken snake one afternoon. It had eaten a chicken egg, obvious lump in his body. Anyway, we watched this snake climb a wooden fence post repeatedly, then allow itself to fall off... Amazing, it was try to break the egg!

@Weedygarden I put a book with the bull snake in the reference area... Missouri Snakes. @hashbrown

View attachment 86326
Thank you. I saw it, but can't read it now or I'll probably have nightmares and not sleep well.

I caught one trying to eat an egg a few summers ago. They swallow them whole. Funny, as a kid I stood with my grandpa and watched a chicken snake one afternoon. It had eaten a chicken egg, obvious lump in his body. Anyway, we watched this snake climb a wooden fence post repeatedly, then allow itself to fall off... Amazing, it was try to break the egg!

View attachment 86326
I can't really tell from hashbrown's photo, but his snake looks to be a solid black, no visible patterns, Sometimes the patterns are not easy to see because of the coloring.

I'll put up with dozens of chicken snakes over copperheads. They are nasty little creatures, bite more people than other vipers combined in the SE.
When homesteading was going on in places like Nebraska and the Dakotas, homesteaders would have snake hunts and kill as many rattlers as they could. There are photos out there of 100 + dead snakes hanging on a fence. In many counties in eastern Nebraska, you are hard pressed to find any kind of snake. The snake hunts started because so many farm animals and people were bit and killed by rattlers.

Bull snakes we saw in New Mexico looked brown like a rattler. But no rattle, and a little different head shape.
Rat snakes are really black. They will eat chicks and eggs.
Thank you for the clarification. I have a number of field guides but never bought one for snakes.
I wondered this about bull snakes. I actually thought the pattern was a bit attractive, Am I really saying that? :oops:

We had lots of snakes on our farm in south coastal Texas. We would let them be, except for the rattlers that got too close to the farmhouse. As you exited the house, there was a wall of rattles on display. Right under that were a couple of Saturday Night Special .22 revolvers loaded with rat shot hanging on hooks. My sister and I were so proud and felt like such grown-ups when they started allowing us to grab a revolver and shove it in our back pocket on the way out the door. We didn't live on the family farm, but visited often. So that was a treat to be trusted like that. We had our rattles on display in short order. There was this piece of tin sheeting near the chicken house, and there was always a rattler under it. You'd shoot one, and another would appear within a few days. Like magic. The elders even kept a special stick near that piece of tin specifically for lifting it as you took aim.

Ah, the good 'ol days! Can you imagine the uproar now if the woke folk found out people were reminding their children to grab a pocket gun on their way out to play?! "Hey kids, be back in time for dinner. Don't forget your guns, and remember to bring the rattles back." Now-a-days, you go to the park and there is 6 inches of protective foam padding under the swingset, and seatbelts on the swings.

We had a chickensnake in the house a few years back but since we have no chickens and it doesn't hurt cats or dogs we let it be. It was hunting mice in places the cats couldn't reach. I'll have to dig up the picture of it someday.

Copperheads are beautiful but we have to kill them. Cottonmouths can go to hell. LOL.

Havasu, I love cinnamon raisin bread! Especially with that much butter!

Sorry, sometimes I am a butteraholic!

Here is a scammer solar salesman walking to my front door saying he worked for the power company, demanded to see the electric meter, then take a picture of my electric bill. He was told to get off my property immediately.

GetSavedClip.jpg

Last edited:
Back