Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
National Police Week
20220513_115742.jpg
20220513_115718.jpg

This is Aries, a Brittaney Spaniel. I shared in January about seeing a dog laying in the street, having been hit by a car, that I believe was the car that stopped and I was sure he wouldn't make it. I was sure his back was broken because of how he laid in the street and moved. And there was a really big puddle of blood. BIG! And how he talked to me.

Today I was driving and saw a woman walking this dog. I rolled down my window and asked her if her dog was hit on x street a few months ago. Yes, in January. I parked my car and came and sat on the curbing and told the owner of my part of the experience, and how much I cried for her poor baby. I sat down and he came up right next to me, leaned on me and rubbed on me and let me pet him. He is such a doll! She told me that when he got hit, he bit his tongue and that was the source of all the blood. His front left leg was broken in two different places and he had to be in a cast for a while.

You know this made my day! I am in love with this beautiful boy who can no longer be in the back yard without being leashed up, because he is an escape artist. He also lives on a busy street.
Aries the Brittany spaniel 2.jpg
Aries the Brittany spaniel.jpg

This is Aries, a Brittaney Spaniel. I shared in January about seeing a dog laying in the street, having been hit by a car, that I believe was the car that stopped and I was sure he wouldn't make it. I was sure his back was broken because of how he laid in the street and moved. And there was a really big puddle of blood. BIG! And how he talked to me.

Today I was driving and saw a woman walking this dog. I rolled down my window and asked her if her dog was hit on x street a few months ago. Yes, in January. I parked my car and came and sat on the curbing and told the owner of my part of the experience, and how much I cried for her poor baby. I sat down and he came up right next to me, leaned on me and rubbed on me and let me pet him. He is such a doll! She told me that when he got hit, he bit his tongue and that was the source of all the blood. His front left leg was broken in two different places and he had to be in a cast for a while.

You know this made my day! I am in love with this beautiful boy who can no longer be in the back yard without being leashed up, because he is an escape artist. He also lives on a busy street.
View attachment 86353View attachment 86354

What a sweet boy, I'm so glad that story had a happy ending.

What a sweet boy, I'm so glad that story had a happy ending.
I am too. I didn't think I would ever even see the owner again, or even recognize her if I did. It was just kind of odd for me to see her, recognize her, and to recognize the dog after all this time. I'm so happy to have seen him. He is such a little lovey dog. Afterwards, I realized that I should have given her my information and asked if I could ever visit him.

I remember your post about him getting hit, heartbreaking!! Thank you for the update, SO glad he is ok!! As hard as that must have been to see, I am so glad you were there that day! HE was glad YOU were there that day!♥
I believe God had a hand in all of this. I don't understand the reasoning, but Aries is a very special dog. The day he was hit, I was not happy that I saw what I saw, because it made me so sad. Why did I have to see what I saw? Today was wonderful, to see this sweet boy, and to get some love from him and to know that somehow, he and I have a special connection. I hope I get to see him again.

I have probably caught and hauled 30 of them home over the last few years hoping to combat rats and other snakes. Anytime I see one I catch it and bring it home.
I catch them and take them for a ride away from the farm. I had one come back overnight (she had a scar on her head). I had taken her only about a mile away.

Havasu, I love butter too. I practically turn my mashed potatoes into soup with butter. LOL. I put butter on my porch chops before cooking them.
If someone came to my door demanding to photograph my bill I would have reacted the same way. Glad you didn't fall for any scams. Also, very nice walkway!

Weedy, I'm so glad the doggy is OK!

Havasu, I love butter too. I practically turn my mashed potatoes into soup with butter. LOL. I put butter on my porch chops before cooking them.
If someone came to my door demanding to photograph my bill I would have reacted the same way. Glad you didn't fall for any scams. Also, very nice walkway!

Weedy, I'm so glad the doggy is OK!
I have heard that some restaurants dip their steaks in butter before they cook them. I believe that Outback Steakhouse is a restaurant that does that. Butter is right up there with bacon as a loved food!

zannej, thank you about Aries the dog. I sure hope I get to see him again! When I saw him on Friday, they were walking east two blocks from one of my regular dog parks. I asked her if they were coming from there. No, they don't go to the dog park, just on walks. It would be a great place to hang out with him. Since I know where Aries lives and now the owners first name, I thought I would write her a letter with more details about what I saw the day he was hit. He was laying in the street, not moving, in that big puddle of blood. I drove around the block to park, and he hadn't moved, which was one of the reasons I thought he was deceased when I first saw him. The first realization I had that he was not deceased was when I spoke to the woman who was there, talking to 911 or 311, asking for help. She got put on hold, and traffic was busy enough that I never actually got across the street. I asked her if he had a tag? Then he talked to me. He was not deceased, but seriously injured. He didn't cry or make noises like a wounded dog often does. That also made me think he had a spinal cord injury, or broken back. All the blood made me think he had serious internal injuries. But he is alive and loving life and people!

View attachment 86353View attachment 86354
Britanny's are fabulous dogs. I had one for 13 years and my second one for four years..
They need to run. It is not right to restrict them to a yard or lease.

Britanny's are fabulous dogs. I had one for 13 years and my second one for four years..
They need to run. It is not right to restrict them to a yard or lease.
Thank you. I may share that with the owner. The dogs that need to run get their needs met at dog parks, running and chasing each other. I had never really tuned into spaniels until the day I saw Aries laying in the street. Since then, I am aware of all of them. They are beautiful dogs and now there is another breed that I love, after our beloved Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I will stop my car when I see RR. I always speak to RR owners, and now I am speaking to owners of spaniels when I see them. Since I retired from teaching and spent most days with daughter's RR while she was alive, I have become such a lover of dogs.

Big Crow home on Pine Ridge.jpg
Big Crow family on Pine Ridge.jpg

South Dakota History of Cities, Towns, places and people who made it great!
Life Is Rough For Big Crows
By GORDON HANSON
Rapid City Journal West River Editor
May 2, 1964
PINE RIDGE, S.D. (AP) — The scrub board leaning in the corner is like the house and the land — worn and tired.
Nineteen people live in the four-room dwelling, and the stubborn prairie wind has defeated the sandy soil around the unpainted building, leaving it standing on a lonely little knoll circled by a barren moat. The floors are bare, there are no cupboards, nor food on the table; the family takes turns eating off the few dishes, and the silverware is shared.
WATER IS CARRIED
The click of a light switch has never been heard in the home, the doorless toilet is outside, and water is carried from a well a half mile away.
This is the home of Mr. and Mrs. James Big Crow, located on the largest Indian Reservation in the world: Pine Ridge, located in South Dakota.
Mrs. Big Crow is the woman who about two weeks ago gave birth to her 24th child. Nineteen are still living.
A massive drive is under way in Rapid City — 125 miles away — to aid the Big Crow family.
Sometime in the near future the household goods, food, clothing, a mobile home and station wagon — given by Rapid Citians — will be taken to the Big Crows.
ARE PROUD
The Big Crows are Sioux, and they're proud. The father, 45-years-old, is a quiet, husky man with graying temples. Mrs. Big Crow, 40, is a sensitive, compelling woman.
Together they have given their children a love that has endured over the years. But they need help, and so this writer and Mr. and Mrs. Francis (Bud) Stewart of Rapid City, who are spearheading the drive for the Big Crows, drove to Pine Ridge to see first-hand what is needed.
Big Crow is employed by a white rancher who lives about eight miles away. He has lived near his present home all his life, except for three years when he worked at the reservation's Holy Rosary Mission in the dairy department — then the mission sold most of its cows.
FINISHES ROOM
When his wife gave birth to their last child, in Rapid City, Big Crow put finishing touches on one of the rooms. He had installed a linoleum rug, put some sheet rock over the tattered tar paper exterior, and built several new window casings.
"He was trying to do so much for her," Mrs. Stewart commented later.
Big Crow's tools were a borrowed hammer, square, saws and carpenter's level.
"I've got an awfully good man," Mrs. Big Crow said from her single bed — the only one with springs in it — where she has been since returning from the hospital.
TWO OTHER BEDS
There are only two other beds in the home, both built of wood and latticed with wooden slats. Five of the younger children sleep in them, and the rest on the floor.
The beds are also used to sit on, for there is only one chair in the house.
"Does the roof leak?" Stewart asked, eyeing the outside roof where many shingles had been swept away by the ever-present wind.
"Only in one place," Big Crow said. And later Stewart remarked to his wife: "They're in desperate need of water."
PUMP IS BROKEN
There is a well south of the house, but the pump is broken.
Clothes are washed on a scrub board almost smooth with wear. The family shares a single wash basin, and water is carried by hand from a neighbor's place, for there is no car to transport it.
There are no closets for clothing, but on the floor in the bedroom sits a pair of brightly polished white shoes belonging to one of the teenage girls.
The prairie wind tosses sand through cracks in the wall in the summer, and snow in the winter.
A tiny basketball hoop, with a six-inch radius, is nailed to an outside wall. It is the only visible sign of recreation for the children.
"Well," said Mrs. Stewart later, "We saw for ourselves that what Mrs. Big Crow said at the hospital was true."
And Stewart added: "I expected to find an atmosphere of futility, but he (Big Crow) seemed to have the attitude: 'I'll do anything I can for my family, no matter what it takes.' He had a smile in his eyes, and he seems to face the future with optimism."
SEEM HEALTHY
The Big Crow children all seem healthy and bright. Some are shy, some smiling, some barefoot and all with little traces of need. Government commodities help feed the family, but during the summer when the children are all home, there are no commodities.
The bulk of their diet is potatoes and rice. The hot, sandy soil rebukes a garden.
But on the Pine Ridge Reservation, the Big Crows are exceptional only because of their large family.
HOPE HAS DIMMED
There are countless homes where there are but earthen floors, where the father is unemployed and dependent upon the government, where conditions put a tight lid on socioeconomic progress, where morality is wanting, and where hope has dimmed.
On these rolling, sometimes barren plains, live 8,500 Sioux Indians.
Many are obliged to withstand the subzero winter temperatures in self-made log huts and tents.
To them the click of a light switch, the flush of a toilet, would be of another world. These are things difficult to fathom, when, after supper and the sun sets, there is no television to turn to; no radio or stereo, no movies, no family circle chatting about a lighted table. Only darkness and the night.
ARE GOOD THINGS
There are good things on the reservation too, such as the new low-rent housing project, or $1 million recently spent in school construction.
But these stand amidst lack of job opportunities and skills, and an occasional undercurrent of defeatism.
There is one small consolation, and Bud Stewart said it: "When we were made aware, here in Rapid City, of the Big Crow problem, we took care of it. And we'd like the nation to know that we took care of it.
"There is so much more to do ..."

Got to play with some big toys today! I saw a cousin moving his logging operation to a new location, he needed help unloading. Best part, I know the landowner. Spoke with him and got permission to harvest every medicinal I can find... Guess I know what I'll be doing, another 40acres to hunt on! I'll be hunting usnea for a lady who needs it The best way to harvest it, is from fallen treetops.

log 01ab.JPG
log 02ab.JPG

@hashbrown Don't know why there is a lumber shortage. Yesterday my cousin cut 14 loads of big pine, trees 70ft tall, some 3ft at the butt and a foot at the top. This was some of the prettiest pines I've seen in a long while. Load after load of 2x12's, 10's, 8's. 6's and 4's. They went to the mill...

Loaded 01aa.JPG

Latest posts

Back