Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how old this drill is, but I found it in the workshop. It looks like it has a level bubble on the back, but I forgot to take a picture of it. It struggled to cut through the plywood-- stalled out a few times, but it eventually did it and I have a hole for the shower controls now.
View attachment 109433
That looks like a masonry bit, not a wood bit. If so, that could be a reason the drill stalled out. Just guessing.

Is there a story behind the bell??

Mom and Dad bought the home and it had the bell. It just is very country appealing. When we sold Mom's place after Dad passed, we kept the bell and now my youngest and her hubby has if for the house they are having built on 24 acres on the edges of the local city metro area. So, maybe by the end of the year, I may have a new location to take photos of it.

That looks like a masonry bit, not a wood bit. If so, that could be a reason the drill stalled out. Just guessing.
Oh, it didn't stall out with that bit. I used that one to drill through cement board. That one went through like a hot knife through butter. It was the hole saw that stalled the drill out when it hit plywood-- and it was meant for wood.

My oldest cat, Boo, climbed into a small box.
1685750518595.png

Earlier Senator Snugglebum was in the box
1685750660215.png

Ginger was off in the background while Boo was coming over to see me (before he evicted Snugglebum)
1685750741934.png

Itsy was looking cute
1685750908685.png

I just looked up his bio. He appeared 250+ times on various tv shows in the 50's and 60's. Most were westerns like death valley days, gun smoke, wagon train etc, played a lot of bad guys, in western movies too. all good shows... and andy griffith, green hornet.

Had one of those camera faces...

@Weedygarden Cutaneous fibromas aka deer warts. Don't know much about them.

Cattle get warts too, don't remember the name of theirs. Not much you can do about it, they drop off eventually... Doesn't hurt market price. Here is one of mine on the way to the stockyard.

A neighbor's son introduced a purchased herd to their pasture. Warts spread from those cows to my herd. They shared a half mile of fence. I saw them on a cow or two, for a year or so then they went away. Most cows didn't get them.

Warts (1).jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday the wife and I were clearing brush along our long and winding driveway when a moose and two new calves appeared to the east of us. Clearly mom wanted the come our direction and stood there for a moment before deciding what to do. She went around us to the north and the second picture shows the moose along our power line trail. She head west and the video shows her passing by us as she took her kiddos to the stream on the western side of our property. She got them to the stream safely and the calves were enjoying themselves in the stream when we left them to themselves. Mom looked stressed and doggedly tired so we stayed away from that area for the rest of the day. We had plenty of chores to do elsewhere on our property.

62CABA1F-382F-470A-9081-1915FE6400B5.jpeg

7E081F56-2A69-43C7-BD19-0F4452ED3BCD.jpeg

Sold my horses this morning, Kit and Bud, hate to see them go. The donkey is Kit, named after a racing mule owned by the Sackett family (louis Lamour book). I keep critter names to one syllable. Something that will carry on the wind a long way or echo well. It’s almost a half mile down to the bottoms. Bud always answered on the first call. It took Kit a few deep breaths to get out a good bray. Gonna miss hearing them answer when I call.

Been my buddies for a decade, took great care of them but that’s getting more difficult. They had more grass and hay than they could ever eat (45acres of pasture). They’re fat now… Hey @dademoss when is the last time you found horses needing a home that looked like this?

Taken an hour ago, got them into the corral. Got them some feed and water. I'll let them graze tonight under the pecans. I'll be ready when the guy gets here with a trailer. Need to go through the loading chute with the weedeater, it's all grown up with blackberry and PI vines.

20230604_162151sm.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a look at the heifers my cousin brought over. He said he brought 26head. I couldn't get close enough to count black cows at dusk. They are bad spooky, couldn't get with in 50yrd of them. What I could see looked good, all seemed healthy. They could run fine... they took off right after this pic into another pasture. (camera adjusted the light, was darker than this)

Now it looks like a farm again... I'm happy.

20230604_194917sm.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a look at the heifers my cousin brought over. He said he brought 26head. I couldn't get close enough to count black cows at dusk. They are bad spooky, couldn't get with in 50yrd of them. What I could see looked good, all seemed healthy. They could run fine... they took off right after this pic into another pasture.

Now it looks like a farm again... I'm happy.

View attachment 109601
"
What did John mean when he said he must increase and I must decrease?

And .... John 3:30. “He must increase, but I must decrease.” It's John the Baptist talking about Jesus, saying his purpose in this world is to decrease. That's what he must do, and Jesus must increase. Meaning, John the Baptists purpose in this world was to exalt Christ, not himself.Aug 17, 2020
"

Ben

@Weedygarden Cutaneous fibromas aka deer warts. Don't know much about them.

Cattle get warts too, don't remember the name of theirs. Not much you can do about it, they drop off eventually... Doesn't hurt market price. Here is one of mine on the way to the stockyard.

A neighbor's son introduced a purchased herd to their pasture. Warts spread from those cows to my herd. They shared a half mile of fence. I saw them on a cow or two, for a year or so then they went away. Most cows didn't get them.

View attachment 109533
Our ridgeback had a growth on her ear. It resembled a raspberry. The vet said that once we saw that, she was no longer contagious, but people were a little freaked out about it. It didn't last long, and one day it was just gone. I used to know what it was called, but put that on the list of things I used to know.

Not that I'd see any moose's in my area (well, maybe between the illegals and bums) but is it safest to just stand still and hold your ground when confronting a moose?

Random pic:

We typically give ground pretty liberally to moose and they typically take advantage of being given space and leave. This particular moose I knew wanted to get to streams and we were in her way. She looked pretty tuckered out and had two calves she wanted to protect. Since we were boxed in on our road and the only way out was towards the stream that she wanted to get to. When she went around us we just stood pretty still. She and a couple other moose were always around us during the winter taking advantage of our plowed roads and we never had issues with them. But they are different when they have new calves. They can turn hostile quick.

Last edited:
Sold my horses this morning, Kit and Bud, hate to see them go. The donkey is Kit, named after a racing mule owned by the Sackett family (louis Lamour book). I keep critter names to one syllable. Something that will carry on the wind a long way or echo well. It’s almost a half mile down to the bottoms. Bud always answered on the first call. It took Kit a few deep breaths to get out a good bray. Gonna miss hearing them answer when I call.

Been my buddies for a decade, took great care of them but that’s getting more difficult. They had more grass and hay than they could ever eat (45acres of pasture). They’re fat now… Hey @dademoss when is the last time you found horses needing a home that looked like this?

Taken an hour ago, got them into the corral. Got them some feed and water. I'll let them graze tonight under the pecans. I'll be ready when the guy gets here with a trailer. Need to go through the loading shoot with the weedeater, it's all grown up with blackberry and PI vines.

View attachment 109597
I know you will miss them, just glad you found them a good home. ♥️

IMG_20230603_191115_resized_20230605_044512001.jpg
So this is the cake from our friends party, the front door of the Hugh Lane Gallery Dublin, and some modern art

Attachments

• IMG_20230601_150122_resized_20230605_045237025.jpg
    IMG_20230601_150122_resized_20230605_045237025.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230601_150355_resized_20230605_045243094.jpg
    IMG_20230601_150355_resized_20230605_045243094.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230601_150630_resized_20230605_045233871.jpg
    IMG_20230601_150630_resized_20230605_045233871.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Sorry to hear you had to sell the horses, Peanut. I sold my two cows once but they didn't agree to the sale. It was someone in the area so the cows jumped the fence and came running back home. Red cow was extremely upset. Tears running down her face, nose dripping, & hyperventilating. She ran straight to me and pressed her face against me wanting cuddles. I had to stroke her face and sing her favorite lullaby to calm her down. Buyer came back around and I gave her the check back. Said the cows returned themselves.

Got some work done on my bathroom. Still not finished but any progress is good progress. Corner trim & horizontal trim up. Shower valve roughly in place (needs adjustment) & tub spout copper pipe hooked up. The white pieces leaning on the walls are for the sides and will be glued up later.
1686030516859.png

Out hunting plants today. Found a chicken snake, wasn't close to a house with chickens so I left him to go about his business. He was a feisty little critter, didn't like me at all.

View attachment 109760
I love the pose in the second picture! :thumbs:
I remember one non-venomous snake that would pretend to strike you by banging it's nose into you with it's mouth closed. Yes, it would scare the crap out of youo_O.
I'm thinking that it was a bull-snake.
Edit: More likely the hognose snakes.
When threatened, hognose snakes will hiss, flatten their necks and raise their heads off the ground like cobras. They sometimes feign strikes, but actual Heterodon bites are very rare. ...Such occurrences are rare however as they are uninclined to bite, instead striking with mouth closed or playing dead. For these reasons they have been popular pets for more than 100 years despite the irritation experienced should they mistake their keeper's hand for food.

Last edited:
Back