Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are just out there, in the woods, prairies, crossing the road...I almost hit two different ones on the same road, but luckily was going slowly enough to see them. I thought I did hit the one and we got out to check, it had gone back into the grass. The one pictured.
The one was on the way in to our destination and one on the way out. We took photos of both and they were different, one was a little larger, their coloring was different. My kids have been camping here in Texas for 10 years or so and have also seen tarantulas "out there," at scout camp, etc. and have HANDLED THEM. :eek::confused:

I didn't know they were that bad here in America.
We got fire ants, pythons and spiders from pet sores, and trade ships. Just to name a few.

I didn't know they were that bad here in America.
We got fire ants, pythons and spiders from pet sores, and trade ships. Just to name a few.

If I'm remembering my entomology correctly, there are 13 subspecies of trantulas some of which are native to North, South and Central America. They were already here and someone decided to make a pet out of them because they ate fairly docile.

I have been able to sometimes, but it seems like an arduous task, too many steps to do it. And it doesn't matter if it's with my phone or laptop, equally cumbersome. I'm sorry I wasn't more descriptive than that.
Sometimes I have been able to do it as a link from my laptop; upload a file when I'm doing it from my phone. Very easy from my phone when it is a live shot. If I do it from my phone with a past photo, my phone signs me in to google something to use my own photo. Earlier today I did that, but I didn't have anyone right here to look at what I had posted, so I deleted it within a minute. I'm touchy about the internet, but not touchy enough I'm sure.

Some pictures of our new to us forever home we will be moving into -

leyburn 1.jpg
leyburn 5.jpg
leyburn 4.jpg
leyburn 13.jpg

Last edited:
@Amish Heart we will have 1.21 acres of land and the photos I put in the photo thread only show half of the land there is another block beside it the same size as the house block with nothing on it as well. It backs onto a creek which we can pump water from and has 3 rain water tanks and is on town water. The kitchen is soooo spacious I almost jumped up and down with excitement when I first saw it on the internet and then in person and especially after they reduced the price on the home by over $50 000 and then we knocked another $7000 off that price with our offer as well.

@Patchouli the owners reduced the price on the internet $50 000 we were able to get another $7000 off with our offer as I spouted off things that needed fixing such as electrical and a bit of plumbing work. Houses on the same amount of land with less outbuildings are currently selling for $230 000 and we paid under $200 000. Certainly pays that I was an ex licenced motor dealer and secondhand store owner in a past life and will haggle prices on anything and everything :) . DH just does the initial talking and then says to all salespeople you can speak to my wife now to finish the deal off :LOL:, funny since he is a 6'2" not small ex military man who openly admits I am much better at the haggling and says I do a good job :) and I am a puny skinny 60 kg 5'6" woman.

Now to go into battle to buy a second car for us that will be secondhand as we will be out of town on roads with lots of kangaroos. Getting prices on year models and what they are worth in the car yard in town now so I can get big discounts there too.

Last edited:
@snappy1 thank you for your encouragement :) , there is a chook pen out in the yard that needs repairs which we can do so for starters once we get settled we will get some chickens and work on other animals. We do have a cat who is a fantastic ratter and I can imagine we will probably now have rabbit presents on our doorstep too.

@NannyPatty you are so right that we will finally be able to spread out a little and I won't have to stack and militarily pack everything into 3 or 4 cupboards and I will post more pictures once we move in and get settled in mid December when we move in.

@backlash the kitchen also has an oven and a very large wood combustion stove in the kitchen in an old alcove that I imagine had a wood powered oven in it originally, it also has large blank walls on the other side of the kitchen where we can fit our 2 freezers and a fridge and 2 pantries. We will be replacing the stove that is already there as it has had it with a 90 cm fan forced upright one so we can do much more bulk cooking with electricity.

@Meerkat we will indeed have room to grow everything we need and have animals too and thank you for your encouragement too :) .

Some more photos of the home and what house would be complete without a fully functional outhouse, or to those who never grew up with them and outhouse toilet in the yard and yes there are 2 indoor bathrooms too. Also next is the meat house, and the rumpus room and the back of the house leading to the back yard.

leyburn outhouse.jpg
leyburn meat house.jpg
leyburn back of house.jpg
leyburn rumpus room.jpg

Some more photos of the home and what house would be complete without a fully functional outhouse, or to those who never grew up with them and outhouse toilet in the yard and yes there are 2 indoor bathrooms too. Also next is the meat house, and the rumpus room and the back of the house leading to the back yard.

View attachment 9482 View attachment 9483 View attachment 9484 View attachment 9485

:great: haven't seen an outhouse in 50 years, we had one with a half moon on it, that got us a beaten when mama saw the smoke barreling out of the moon. Of course we didn't inhale.
The pics just keep getting better Sewing, so happy for you!:lil guy::thumbs:

Thought those who hadn't seen an outhouse in an eon would appreciate that photo @Meerkat . I grew up with an outhouse as a child and this brought up fond memories of that time and checking for spiders before we went with our torch. Thank you @Meerkat.

Well your new outhouse is one of the fanciest I've seen. It does bring back good times,huh? Of course they were cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Back