Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my nephew was a fire chief he went on a cat stuck on a pole call. All the firemen and the neighbors were trying to figure out the best way to get the cat down. He charged a fire hose and squirted the cat down. His neighbors were highly upset but the cat was no worse for the wear.
Glad to hear your cat finally got down. I would bet the dog chased him up there.

When my nephew was a fire chief he went on a cat stuck on a pole call. All the firemen and the neighbors were trying to figure out the best way to get the cat down. He charged a fire hose and squirted the cat down. His neighbors were highly upset but the cat was no worse for the wear.
Glad to hear your cat finally got down. I would bet the dog chased him up there.
I don't know. He has been hunting birds a lot lately. Ive seen bluejays tease cats higher and higher into a tree until they flew off leaving them up there. Also if you look at the sunset pics there is a squirrel up in the next tree that he is looking at. His job is mouse and rat hunting though.

Cats have to back down a tree. Their feet don't turn backwards like a squirrel so their claws only work in one direction. Add to that cats don't trust themselves going backwards because they can't see.
They usually learn that going higher than they can jump is not a good thing to do. Some never learn.

My folks live in their home with heavy exposed beams and three large picture windows across the front looking down the bay at a few islands. The house is placed on top of about a 100' cliff. It was a beautiful summer day and the door to the deck was open. The cat was sleeping in the sun on the living room carpet when my uncle and his dog came in. As soon as the door opened the dog charged the cat. The cat woke and bolted for the open door where it made it's first mistake, it turned right onto the deck with no exit. Out goes the cat, out goes the dog. Seeing the edge of the deck looming, and probably not fully awake, the cat runs up the wall between two windows. When he reached the top of the wall he ran, ran along the underside of this heavy beam for about 6' and then rocketed off the beam into the air Past the living room, past the daylight basement, and over the cliff. There was a bunch of snapping of brush and yowling of cat all the way down the hill. The dog strutted back into the house quite proud of himself. The cat came back after the dog went home, no worse for wear. Well, perhaps his pride was a bit damaged.

Got a new harness for the kids old dog. The pup has a training harness that should be here next week.

Capture+_2019-02-26-10-37-27-1.png

I love mastiffs! Although my little Peanut would fit in that one's mouth, I think.

He has a huge mouth but he's a big baby and sticks right by her. He started getting really clingy right before the kid started showing the symptoms of disautonomia. He caught her the very first time she fell and just stood with her draped over his back.

Last edited:
For years I had parts of 2 Kmart gun cleaning kits, junk. Sometime in the early 90’s I bought a nice wooden kit by Hoppes. It had brass latches/hinges. I liked it but it was to small to hold components for all my guns.

My new kit by Gloryfire came today. I finally have one kit for all my guns.

My new Lansky knife sharpening kit also came. My old kit is almost 30 years old. The stones were noticeably worn. The new kit is the diamond hone kit.

I also got a new Lansky carbide sharpener for the kitchen. My kitchen knives now have the best edge they’ve had in years. In the last 20 years I gone through 6 or 7 sharpeners for the kitchen. All of them were junk, this new one is a keeper!

clean n sharp (1)_v1.png
clean n sharp (2)_v1.png
clean n sharp (3)_v1.png

Nice gear Peanut. I like that bottom Lansky I think I need one of those.

I already put another one on my wish list at the big internet store. Next time I place a big order I'll have an extra.

I have a small vice on the work bench in my tool room. The carbide sharpener fits neatly. I was able to put a great edge on all my kitchen knives in about 10 minutes. When this sharpener wears out I'll have a spare.

The current price is $13.47.

I had an old Lansky sharpening kit and loved it. I bought a new diamond kit and gave the old one to my son. BIG mistake. I cannot sharpen a small blade. The blade holder hits the stone so the stone can never touch the blade. Works great on larger knives.
If you can sharpen small pocket knives let me know the trick.
I have about every type of knife sharpening system made and my go to system is a Worksharp. Nothing is faster and you can get a really nice edge.
iu

I just got one of the Work sharps for Christmas. Haven't even got it set up yet.
The one thing you have to be careful about is not rounding off the tip of the knife. If you rock your hand up at the end of the stroke you will round the point. Keep your hand straight through out the entire time. Yea, I have a couple of knives with no point. Also look for the sharpening belts (3/4X12) from some place other than Work Sharp. eBay has the best deals I have found.

My new rain gauge finally has a new home.

View attachment 10482

I like it Peanut. When I first got mine I put a PT 4x4 in the ground and it lasted for many years. Finally rotted off, now I have a fence post driven in and wired the mount to it. Not quite as stable, but it'll last forever now.

I like it Peanut. When I first got mine I put a PT 4x4 in the ground and it lasted for many years.

I thought about a single post but it just won't work for me. I need to be able to move the gauge seasonally, basically one location for the winter and another for the summer. I used a PT 2x4 to keep the base light. I'm hoping the triangle base will keep it from tipping over during a storm. If that becomes an issue a 6" cinderblock will rectify it.

I thought about a single post but it just won't work for me. I need to be able to move the gauge seasonally, basically one location for the winter and another for the summer. I used a PT 2x4 to keep the base light. I'm hoping the triangle base will keep it from tipping over during a storm. If that becomes an issue a 6" cinderblock will rectify it.

You're a Prepper? :) Already have a Plan "B" in case Plan "A" fails.

the only thing I would worry about is the wind blowing it over. But a block would sure remedy that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back