Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love this old picture....well stocked...we had a general store up in the mountains....
53221700_10157170480518656_9161630163987857408_o.jpg

Love this old picture....well stocked...we had a general store up in the mountains....
53221700_10157170480518656_9161630163987857408_o.jpg
When we moved to this area in the early 80's there was a store in the tiny town 5 miles from our property that wasn't all that different from this picture.

Part of last nights cooking efforts in which we made a quadruple batch of chocolate magic mix pudding, a litre of homemade yoghurt, a batch of chocolate chip and coconut biscuits, a roasted chicken which we separated into 3.5 meal size portions after we had the marylands and homegrown steamed vegetables for last night's dinner and juiced oranges purchased on special to give us 1.25 l of freshly squeezed orange juice. If you are going to cook you may as well make the most of the power and put multiple items in there.

Here is one of our weekly treats we made being a whole orange cake made with a whole orange, the icing is buttercream icing made with orange juice instead of the milk and the citrus zest from the orange we sprinkled on the top.

whole orange cake with citrus juice icing and zest.JPG

Last edited:
Part of last nights cooking efforts in which we made a quadruple batch of chocolate magic mix pudding, a litre of homemade yoghurt, a batch of chocolate chip and coconut biscuits, a roasted chicken which we separated into 3.5 meal size portions after we had the marylands and homegrown steamed vegetables for last night's dinner and juiced oranges purchased on special to give us 1.25 l of freshly squeezed orange juice. If you are going to cook you may as well make the most of the power and put multiple items in there.

Here is one of our weekly treats we made being a whole orange cake made with a whole orange, the icing is buttercream icing made with orange juice instead of the milk and the citrus zest from the orange we sprinkled on the top.

View attachment 10602

I gained 2 pounds just looking at the picture. :)

@backlash but what a way to gain 2 lbs :) . I have such a fast metabolism I just have to walk down to the back of the property and look like I am about to start doing something and loose 2 lbs.

@Bacpacker still some in the fridge but you are going to have to be quick as half of it is gone :) . Might be a bit far to travel though unless your really really like whole orange cake.

@Weedygarden we have no LDS warehouses here in Australia unfortunately but I can get pudding mix from the local supermarkets here quite cheaply and have a few in my preps too. I think they do sell it in their warehouse too in the States.

@Weedygarden we have no LDS warehouses here in Australia unfortunately but I can get pudding mix from the local supermarkets here quite cheaply and have a few in my preps too. I think they do sell it in their warehouse too in the States.[/QUOTE]
Making your own mixes is a great idea. I do have some boxes of pudding in my preps as well. I watch for boxes of pudding and jello to be on sale and buy some then. They are easy to store and make up. It is another thing that I don't eat often, but like having it.

I buy the instant pudding, but have wanted to know what it would take to make up instant pudding. It must be a trade secret.

@Bacpacker wish we could make you one and mail it but sadly with the icing it would be a mess by the time you got it. It does taste mighty good too and you are right it would probably be eaten by the time you got here.

@hashbrown they soon grow up and normally get bigger and taller than us too which can be challenging, been there done that twice.

@Bacpacker wish we could make you one and mail it but sadly with the icing it would be a mess by the time you got it. It does taste mighty good too and you are right it would probably be eaten by the time you got here.

@hashbrown they soon grow up and normally get bigger and taller than us too which can be challenging, been there done that twice.

It's like over night!

@Sewingcreations15 and @Weedygarden re. pudding. I always made pudding from scratch- mostly egg yolks and milk. I think I was in HS or college the first time I tried instant and remember being nervous about if it would turn out. (It's okay to laugh at me:). From scratch is really pretty easy too. I would end up with egg whites so would also make mirange puffs with mini chocolate chips which was my treat for making pudding for others as I don't care for it.
@Sewingcreations15 your cake looks scrumptious!
@hashbrown I said with my son, he went to bed little and squeaking and woke up a foot taller and baritone.

@Sewingcreations15 and @Weedygarden re. pudding. I always made pudding from scratch- mostly egg yolks and milk. I think I was in HS or college the first time I tried instant and remember being nervous about if it would turn out. (It's okay to laugh at me:). From scratch is really pretty easy too. I would end up with egg whites so would also make mirange puffs with mini chocolate chips which was my treat for making pudding for others as I don't care for it.
Pudding was not something that we had much when I was growing up, except for tapioca. I do have a memory of making pudding on the stove when I was probably a teenager. That was probably the only time I remember making it on the stove. I am not sure why, but I just haven't made it much, nor eaten it much. Jello is another story, especially sugar free jello. I used to keep it in my fridge at work for a snack, along with string cheese and hard boiled eggs.

@Weedygarden we have no LDS warehouses here in Australia unfortunately but I can get pudding mix from the local supermarkets here quite cheaply and have a few in my preps too. I think they do sell it in their warehouse too in the States.
Making your own mixes is a great idea. I do have some boxes of pudding in my preps as well. I watch for boxes of pudding and jello to be on sale and buy some then. They are easy to store and make up. It is another thing that I don't eat often, but like having it.

I buy the instant pudding, but have wanted to know what it would take to make up instant pudding. It must be a trade secret.[/QUOTE]

Homemade Instant Vanilla or Chocolate Pudding:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup powdered milk

1/3 cup instant Clear Jel

1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all dry ingredients together then whisk in 2 cups water and 1/4 tsp. vanilla.

For chocolate pudding add 1/2 cup cocoa and increase sugar to 3/4 cup.

@SouthCentralUS I wonder if you can substitute corn flour for clear jel ? as we don't have it here in Austalia and thank you for the recipe too. Corn flour thickens as well.
I don't know. I never tried. But you can put powdered vanilla in it and wont have to add it later.

Latest posts

Back