Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
994609_679643512047491_1954539654_n.jpg

1B882246-BE57-422F-9EE2-1D1C56482073.jpeg
Do any of y’all have a summer kitchen or set up a temporary one for canning etc? I did a blog post (The Locust Blossom) on what I have set up but couldn’t find any pictures of those old fashioned spaces. I would love input even if it’s a memory from youth.

Nice! Lady Locust! Am remembering my grandmas, and stories I've heard about my great grandmas. Great Grandmas was good sized, and the family would get together there and make sausage (around October when the pigs were butchered), and also applesauce when the apples were ready. Wish I could go back in time and join them.
Homestead Tessie on youtube set up a canning kitchen and a washroom that's worth seeing. The canning kitchen was set up in an old garage, and the washroom used to be a large playhouse.

IF, and I mean a big IF...we ever move out to our farm, I have my eye out for a spot for an indoor/outdoor kitchen. The outdoor part because I enjoy dutch oven cooking, and the inside part for canning, dehydrating, and all of that. We have an old milk house there that is a concrete building and had electricity run out to it. It has a covered outside patio to it that would be great for the outdoor cooking.

My canning kitchen is setup in the garage. When we first started, we did it in the kitchen but for us, that just wasn't going to work. Not enough counter space but mainly, way too much heat!!!
So, we clean out the garage, setup the canning equipment, open the garage door and do it all there.
Pictured below is an early setup of our setup. The cooking is outside the garage (again for heat reasons) and the table is setup so there's 4 "work stations". When possible, the whole family is involved so each person mans a station. Each jar moves clockwise from station-to-station with each person doing their part then passing it on. When done, it's back to the person who then puts them in the water bath pot and starts the timer.

CIMG9481.JPG
CIMG9483.JPG

View attachment 10923 Do any of y’all have a summer kitchen or set up a temporary one for canning etc? I did a blog post (The Locust Blossom) on what I have set up but couldn’t find any pictures of those old fashioned spaces. I would love input even if it’s a memory from youth.

I remember those Flomica table and chairs :thumbs: when I was kid. Neat LadyL.:cool:

A pic of me and Grandson # 3 23 years ago.

r0Xu0YC.jpg

My canning kitchen is setup in the garage. When we first started, we did it in the kitchen but for us, that just wasn't going to work. Not enough counter space but mainly, way too much heat!!!
So, we clean out the garage, setup the canning equipment, open the garage door and do it all there.
Pictured below is an early setup of our setup. The cooking is outside the garage (again for heat reasons) and the table is setup so there's 4 "work stations". When possible, the whole family is involved so each person mans a station. Each jar moves clockwise from station-to-station with each person doing their part then passing it on. When done, it's back to the person who then puts them in the water bath pot and starts the timer.

View attachment 10928 View attachment 10929

Zoom, nice pic our canning is done on front porch.

Last edited:
Zoom, nice pis our canning is done on front porch.
Thanks.
When canning season hits (mainly tomatoes), we're canning at least 3 days/week and about 20 quarts per day. When done for the day, I just slide the cookers into the garage and we're done. 2 days later, slide the cookers outside and repeat. Another reason I didn't like using the kitchen as we'd then have to put everything away to just pull it back out again.

Thanks.
When canning season hits (mainly tomatoes), we're canning at least 3 days/week and about 20 quarts per day. When done for the day, I just slide the cookers into the garage and we're done. 2 days later, slide the cookers outside and repeat. Another reason I didn't like using the kitchen as we'd then have to put everything away to just pull it back out again.

Sounds like a good program. We are behind on canning. Not enough of our crops to can and haven't bought anything in awhile.

Not sure what pic you are referring to Meer???
How do you post photos to the forum? Mine are on the puter, but not the net.

If I have this figured out I'll share a few pics. These first few are from last summer when we had the total eclipse. I took the day off work and drove to one of our favorite spots up in the mountians that happened to be right in the middle of the path of totality. We had right about 3 minutes of totality there.

View attachment 10023 View attachment 10024 View attachment 10025 View attachment 10028 View attachment 10030

BacP I was referring to this comment in post #1961.
Then the professional pics you put up in post #1969.
My pics are in Imgur so I just use " copy image ". Not sure if its safe or not but it is easy for me.

BacP I was referring to this comment in post #1961.
Then the professional pics you put up in post #1969.
My pics are in Imgur so I just use " copy image ". Not sure if its safe or not but it is easy for me.

I forgot about posting those. I sure ain't a professional, just enjoy takin pics. I did a lot reading up on shooting an eclipse planning on it. I'd never shot one before and I am so glad I did. Pics wouldn't have been any good if I hadn't. I probably ended up with 300-500 shots total. I would take 4-5 shots with different settings at each time. Figured I would get some worth keeping. I really liked the ones of the totallity, and even more so the ones where it's just coming out where you can see the diamond on one side. If you look closely at the edge of the sun you can make out the solar burst coming off the surface. I thought that was cool.
Glad you liked them.

I forgot about posting those. I sure ain't a professional, just enjoy takin pics. I did a lot reading up on shooting an eclipse planning on it. I'd never shot one before and I am so glad I did. Pics wouldn't have been any good if I hadn't. I probably ended up with 300-500 shots total. I would take 4-5 shots with different settings at each time. Figured I would get some worth keeping. I really liked the ones of the totallity, and even more so the ones where it's just coming out where you can see the diamond on one side. If you look closely at the edge of the sun you can make out the solar burst coming off the surface. I thought that was cool.
Glad you liked them.
Well you did a really good job looks professional to me.:Thankyou:

Thanks Meer. Years ago I thought about trying to sell some framed pics. Found a place near the mountians that sell all kinds of stuff. They were going to let me display and sell there. I was gonna make my own frames and pics. That was shortly after the digital cameras came along and everybody and their brother got to where they could take good pics. Decided it wasn't worth the time, and money to get set up.

I have Googled my grandmothers home in Lofall, Washington about a year ago, but it had been torn down and a new home built, rather sad to think of because my grandfather built it, perhaps back in the late 20's or 30's. It had leaded glass windows, a wood cook stove with a water coil in the firebox and a tall galvanized water tank behind the stove, I remember that when you felt the upper part of the tank, you could run the bathwater. In the northeast corner of the kitchen was a cupboard that was screened to the outside, this is where the cream, butter and milk were kept before my grandmother got a refrigerator. She also had a crank phone which I think she had up into the 50's. Actually this old home could have been considered a heritage home, it was in excellent condition the last time I saw it in the 90's. There is definite truth in the old adage about not going home, it can make you heart sick for seeing the changes.

I have Googled my grandmothers home in Lofall, Washington about a year ago, but it had been torn down and a new home built, rather sad to think of because my grandfather built it, perhaps back in the late 20's or 30's. It had leaded glass windows, a wood cook stove with a water coil in the firebox and a tall galvanized water tank behind the stove, I remember that when you felt the upper part of the tank, you could run the bathwater. In the northeast corner of the kitchen was a cupboard that was screened to the outside, this is where the cream, butter and milk were kept before my grandmother got a refrigerator. She also had a crank phone which I think she had up into the 50's. Actually this old home could have been considered a heritage home, it was in excellent condition the last time I saw it in the 90's. There is definite truth in the old adage about not going home, it can make you heart sick for seeing the changes.

It sure can make you sick. My step grand parents, and grandparents on my dads side both had farms, one had the highway widen and took the house and barn. The other was sold off and the buyer has torn down everything and stripped the land of dirt for fill. It now has a massive area that sells mulch and crap. Makes me sick everytime I drive by and see it. My uncle had 80 acres that joined it. Now it has all kinds of shops and small trucking firms on it. Growing up there was well over 100 acres to explore, chase cattle, mow, tend fences, etc. Now just more sprawl. Don't even look like the same places.

Latest posts

Back