Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WIN_20190804_15_52_15_Pro (2).jpg My new to me 2016 FLTC Heritage Softail. Much happier thought than spiders.

View attachment 22870
It was a good day fishing.
The 2 of us caught over 100 smallmouth bass, kept 23 for supper and the freezer.
N0 restrictions on size or number in the Columbia River.
Nice catch!
Down here we have to fish beside the gas rigs in the gulf:
100_0341.JPG

100_0355.JPG

100_0356.JPG

It's a long ride to get to the fish but you don't have to catch very many.
Some of them make you earn every pound though:rolleyes::
100_0329.JPG

Stopped at one of my favorite places today. It’s sort of nice knowing that even my great grandfathers shopped here on occasion.

I don’t live in the county where it’s located but still… once, sometimes twice a year I need some odd ball object or thing that can be had nowhere else. Today I needed such an object and made the trip here.

This is place where odd things reside. What you need will be found or something that can be used in its place… and at Christmas they even sell little red wagons and BB guns!

110 years old this year.

anders hardware_v1.jpg

Stopped at one of my favorite places today. It’s sort of nice knowing that even my great grandfathers shopped here on occasion.

I don’t live in the county where it’s located but still… once, sometimes twice a year I need some odd ball object or thing that can be had nowhere else. Today I needed such an object and made the trip here.

This is place where odd things reside. What you need will be found or something that can be used in its place… and at Christmas they even sell little red wagons and BB guns!

110 years old this year.

View attachment 23013
My favorite closed down a couple years ago after nearly 100 years in business when the owner died. It seemed if it was made in the past hundred years they had it somewhere in the building. You'd ask, they would disappear and come back in a couple minutes with it. One day I hit an old revolving pocket knife carousel there, picked up the 5 knives they still had at $3.99 each. Good quality, old school brand name.

The store disappeared without warning, it was just gone. Whoever got the inventory got a priceless treasure. Three floor plus the basement full of irreplaceable inventory. I almost cried

My favorite closed down a couple years ago after nearly 100 years in business Whoever got the inventory got a priceless treasure. Three floor plus the basement full of irreplaceable inventory. I almost cried

That’s the reason I took photo’s today. I saw some ominous signs. The store was only about 75X60ft and jam packed with goodies. The main isle is the only isle where two people couple meet and pass each other. If one was a large person then both would have to do the side step shuffle.

All the other isles were one person only. If two people met someone was going to have to back up. You can imagine the number of items that could be packed into such a space.

There was a warehouse out back that was twice as large (off limits to customers). Its shelving was 16ft tall.

Today as I got out of my truck I could see into the warehouse. It was completely empty, even the shelving was gone and there was a realty co sign above the door… “for lease”

All that inventory went somewhere, as in your case, I hope some rich guy bought it to preserve it. Also, as in your case, I’m sure there were goodies in there that went back 100 years.

The reason the store has survived the big box stores is that residential neighborhoods begin 3 blocks away. Choice… drive 6 miles to a BBox store where you get no help and have to walk 100’s of yards or walk a couple of blocks to Anders… a full-service hardware store.

Also, the entire downtown has been declared a historic district, even the hardware store. I hope this helps keep it open for a few more years. Seeing it close would be heartbreaking...

Last edited:
I think I would turn around and go the other way.

I went to Home Depot tonight to get a storm door with a friend.
Nobody to help and when I found a guy he said he would send someone right over. Never did. I saw him as I was leaving, he was talking to another employ. I said what happened to sending someone over. His reply was didn't they help you.
Only check out was self check. I'm really getting tired of them.

I think I would turn around and go the other way.

I went to Home Depot tonight to get a storm door with a friend.
Nobody to help and when I found a guy he said he would send someone right over. Never did. I saw him as I was leaving, he was talking to another employ. I said what happened to sending someone over. His reply was didn't they help you.
Only check out was self check. I'm really getting tired of them.
I found it really helps if you stand at the end of an aisle and call loudly and expectedly “Manager to aisle # for customer service” ... it’s amazing how quickly somebody typically shows up. My wife doesn’t like it much but it does work

I was raised a s a kid in Chicago, been gone many years,
and to find a guy in West Ky, from Chicago, that makes these is a God send.
They are the real thing. $3.15 ea.
Oh yeah , Vienna beef ..:clapping:

Jim

I have never had one in Chicago, but I have in Wisconsin. The guy who used to manage concessions for Wrigley Field opened a place there and introduced me to Chicago style hot dogs about 2 decades ago. They were amazing! Now I just make them at home, but I still order in the same Vienna Beef and sport peppers to make sure they are as authentic as possible. Of course as a keto-eater I skip the bun and just put them on a plate.

to find a guy in West Ky, from Chicago, that makes these is a God send.
..:clapping:

Jim
I felt the same way when I found a place that sold authentic Philly Cheesesteaks sandwiches in Seattle. She actually had the meat flown in from Philly every week.
It was worth the trip to a sketchy part of town to get one. But like all good things it ended when she moved back to Philly and sold the place to a Seattle guy.
I have also found a place that sells Hot Pastrami sandwiches but they are in Seaside, Oregon and that's a 6 hour drive for me. I will be there for my 49th anniversary next month so I will get one.
Now I'm hungry.

Latest posts

Back