Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More goodies from the little market yesterday... boxes of ghost peppers and habaneros, made my eyes water just looking at those things...

Gourds of all colors, sizes and shapes... The yellow gourds and especially the green ones I've never seen anywhere. If they still have any I'll ask next time I stop by... Definitely plenty of fall decorations for the porch here.

Ghost n Hab_v1.jpg
gords (1)_v1.jpg
gords (2)_v1.jpg

I was under the weather last May and didn’t get to pick any of my blackberries or mulberries. Darn, I didn’t even get a cobbler, the birds got them all.

The first thing I saw and put in my cart last night was blackberry preservers and blackberry jam. The thing that caught my eye

1) No corn syrup

followed by

2) Ingrediants: Sugar, blackberries, water, pectin, citric acid.

Just like they were made when I was a kid!

I’m going back for some of the pickled beets also, luv some pickled beets! (on the very left of the last photo). I have no idea what “Pickled Dilly Beans” are, anyone know?

p 2a Blackberry 01 (1) P _v1.jpg
p 2b Blackberry 01 (2) P _v1.jpg
p 2c Beets_v1.jpg

@Peanut here is the description of dilly beans from Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilly_beans .

Dilly beans, or pickled green beans, are a means of preserving this summer legume. Often flavored with dill, hence the name, they may also contain garlic, Tabasco sauce, and red pepper. Best kept in glass jars for safekeeping over the winter months, they can be served on their own as a snack or alongside a main dish or in salad. While they are made in kitchens all over the United States, they are particularly common in Vermont, where the overabundance of green beans produced during the short summer needs to be preserved for enjoyment during the long winter.

Dilly beans were developed as a commercial product in 1958 by Sonya Hagna and Jacquelyn Park, who made them the subject of a well-known radio advertising campaign.[1]

@Bacpacker Jim found my bowl of white beans! Jim, did you find them in TN where they are supposed to be?:D

A bowl of white beans says so much more as an appetizer than bread sticks at the O. Garden. Bread sticks, who thought this idiocy up? Can you rub them together and make a fire? :rolleyes:

At least give me a whole piece of bread!:waiting: AND if not to much trouble some butter please!

I would pull along side and tell him he's an idiot.

I dunno, I'd bet ten bucks that Husky likes it. Friends of mine in Kentucky have 2 and when they were living up here the dogs would lay outside in a snowstorm until they were buried. Looked like a lump in the snow, lol. It was a chore at times to get them to come inside.

Back a couple years ago, our Church had a Saturday night get together.. white beans and cornbread supper.

My God I didn't know there were that many ways to cook up white beans ( yeah soup beans to us hillbillies).
I eat way too much...it was great. Still talked about today.

I think The following Sunday was very uncomfortable for many folks.:ghostly:

Jim

@Bacpacker Jim found my bowl of white beans! Jim, did you find them in TN where they are supposed to be?:D

A bowl of white beans says so much more as an appetizer than bread sticks at the O. Garden. Bread sticks, who thought this idiocy up? Can you rub them together and make a fire? :rolleyes:

At least give me a whole piece of bread!:waiting: AND if not to much trouble some butter please!
I saw that. Also that big slab of onion. Makin me hangry just lookin at that.

Last edited:
Pickled green beans. Or at least that's what my aunt called them when she made them.
DILLY BEANS

2 pounds snap beans, trimmed and strings removed
4 heads dill
4 cloves garlic
4 small chili peppers, halved
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup canning salt

To each of four pint jars add 1 head dill, 1 garlic clove, bruised, and two chili halves (alternatively, use a whole chili that has had a slit cut in it).

Pack beans lengthwise into the jars.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boil. Pour hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, adjust caps, and process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

DILLY BEANS

2 pounds snap beans, trimmed and strings removed
4 heads dill
4 cloves garlic
4 small chili peppers, halved
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup canning salt

To each of four pint jars add 1 head dill, 1 garlic clove, bruised, and two chili halves (alternatively, use a whole chili that has had a slit cut in it).

Pack beans lengthwise into the jars.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot. Bring to boil. Pour hot liquid over beans, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles, adjust caps, and process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

That is very similar to our recipes for spicy pickled beans. Only we use a chili peppers plus cayenne peppers and some cayenne pepper flakes.

Latest posts

Back