Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a Mitsuishi A2M ("Zero") World War II fighter plane lying upside down at about 80 feet in Truk Lagoon. Those lumps on the underside of the wings are coral growths. It was shot down by carrier aircraft from the US 5th Fleet.
Zeke 03.jpg

Truk was the largest Japanese naval base in the Pacific during World War II outside the home islands, and we never invaded it. But we did bomb the snot out of in in February 1944 and sunk most of the entire merchant fleet in the lagoon.

I stopped at a cousins house this afternoon, he wasn't home but he had his dads old International 966 in the side yard. Looks like he may be going to restore it. The 966's are in the 90horse power range... its a work horse! Lots of power. I remember plowing corn/cotton with it as a teenager.

966 (2) sm.JPG
966 (3) sm.JPG

Me to. I've already got a 1970 Duetz 3006. Dad bought it in 1971 and has performed well ever since. Don't take a great deal to keep it working.
No problem with the anti-freeze or radiator, right?
Because it don't got none! :p
J5833P.JPG

Good German engineering.

I stopped by the farmers market in the little town yesterday. Only one old farmer was left from when I used to sell there. He was there with his great granddaughters. It’s a good place for a market… under a large shed at the county extension office facility. We paid a flat fee to sell each year and had to attend a class in early spring. My old friend said fewer people sell now. Used to be 12 to 15 farmers selling on a regular basis. Now there is about 5 or 6.

There were lots of buyers though. Folks still want fresh veggies. At this market you have to grow it to sell it, the reason it’s still small. Some markets allow people who buy wholesale in Birmingham to bring in loads of various fruits and veggies to sell. They aren't growers… just re-sellers. I always felt this kept the prices artificially low but it did bring in more buyers.

The best year dad and I had… we grew and sold 16K pounds of peaches, we had a 200-tree orchard then. We always had corn, peas and other veggies to sell. We actually sold at 3 different farmers markets at that time. Dad would take a load to one market, me another, it depended on which veggies we had to sell that day, where we could get the best prices.

Farmer market (1) sm.JPG

Last edited:
No problem with the anti-freeze or radiator, right?
Because it don't got none! :p
J5833P.JPG

Good German engineering.

That's the one. Never a problem with the radiator or antifreeze. Just be sure you keep a spare fan belt with you, and keep an eye on the temp gauge. I broke a belt once when I was a young teen, never gave it a thought much of it breaking. Just before it hit RED the horn started blowing. Very good warning system.
The only problems we have ever had with it was a stopped up fuel injector in the 1980's and the throw out bearing went bad around 2010. Also blew the original fuel line about 3 years ago. We used the heck out of it in the 70's and 80's. Now days just plow, disk, and bush hog. I probly don't put 20 hours a year on it now days. Grand pa had a 4006 at the same time. I wish I had bought it when he died, it had power steering.

I'm looking at all that mist around there (my daughter says it's always like that) and thinking how wet and slippery the grass would be. It angles sharply right off the side of the trail, and I can imagine riding things all the way to the bottom (to your death) if you misstepped. Sure is pretty though.

Here's a Mitsuishi A2M ("Zero") World War II fighter plane lying upside down at about 80 feet in Truk Lagoon. Those lumps on the underside of the wings are coral growths. It was shot down by carrier aircraft from the US 5th Fleet.View attachment 45698
Truk was the largest Japanese naval base in the Pacific during World War II outside the home islands, and we never invaded it. But we did bomb the snot out of in in February 1944 and sunk most of the entire merchant fleet in the lagoon.
Over on Guam I think they refer to Truk as Chuuk. Went to college with a girl from there. (Just googled & see that Truk is used for the wrecks & diving areas but Chuuk is used for the land).
We found a downed bomber wreck when hiking on Guam. We'd had photos but the Andersen AFB photolab lost 2 rolls of our film. It was a bit surreal to see it in person.

Our youngest son came for over the weekend on Thursday. On Saturday he and I hiked to the top of the bluff behind our house. I had not gone there before. It was a short hike of only about 6 miles but there was about a 1500 foot rise in elevation. It was about 9000 foot elevation at the top. I did way better than I expected and we reached the top in about an hour and half. Here are a couple pics from the top.

018.JPG
042.JPG
050.JPG

Our youngest son came for over the weekend on Thursday. On Saturday he and I hiked to the top of the bluff behind our house. I had not gone there before. It was a short hike of only about 6 miles but there was about a 1500 foot rise in elevation. It was about 9000 foot elevation at the top. I did way better than I expected and we reached the top in about an hour and half. Here are a couple pics from the top.

View attachment 45978View attachment 45979View attachment 45980

You must be in really good shape to hike 6 milies up a mountain trail.

A few more pictures of other hikes. The landscape there is quite varied. They've got a 13,000+ foot mountain that looks like the surface of Mars. Lava tubes. Places that look like the planes of Africa.

View attachment 45844View attachment 45845View attachment 45846View attachment 45847View attachment 45848View attachment 45849

Haetig is that your daughter, great shape, really nice legs too. I had nice legs from running up and own hills when I was younger then playing ball up to age 50.I can brag now since they ain't so nice anymore,lol.

This morning I saw beautyberry blooming... Callicarpa americana. Here it's supposed to bloom in April, not July. It's been a wacky year in the plant world.

View attachment 45988

Spring here was more like early summer,pear tree bloomed then frost,then no blooms.
Conferate Rose aka Eose of Sharon has been blooming for weeks now and it usually doesn't bloom till late summer early fall here also blooms not as big and don't change the colors ar slow so they don't slowly go from white to pastel pink to medium pink to a dark hot pink.

Spring here was more like early summer,pear tree bloomed then frost,then no blooms.
Conferate Rose aka Eose of Sharon has been blooming for weeks now and it usually doesn't bloom till late summer early fall here also blooms not as big and don't change the colors ar slow so they don't slowly go from white to pastel pink to medium pink to a dark hot pink.

I was wrong listened to the wrong person,lol.
This is Rose Of Sharon below, [ Not my Confederate Rose].

1593972855257.png

This is our Confederate Rose, Its almost as pretty as our heretage and sweet southern culture.:heart:

1593973266117.png

Last edited:
My little boy aint so little anymore, I love it and sort of sad about it at the same time. He's been on my heels for the last 12 years I'm starting to see him break away from the old man.

View attachment 45993

View attachment 45994

HashB I don't think he will ever 'breakaway',maybe just stepping back some. Good job with the boy truning into a young man and imo he will never not need you in his life.

There is a fixed amount of brains in a family. Your son is at the age where he will start to think he is a lot smarter, so naturally your fate in life is to be dumb to compensate. This will last for a while (the tough "teenager years") and then it reverses again right after college. At that point, the kids realize that the parents have money and they don't, and they begin to acknowledge that the parents are not quite as dumb as the kids thought they were. So the fixed amount of shared family intelligence flows back in the other direction, and you will be smart again!

Also, be sure your health insurance is paid up. You tend to make a lot more trips to the ER during the teenage years, especially with boys. They do the stupidest things. Which is quite the paradox, since they are so smart during those years.

Back