Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is our Confederate Rose, Its almost as pretty as our heretage and sweet southern culture.:heart:

View attachment 45992
Memory can be a pesky thing… Your confederate rose? I only remember seeing it once and that was at Bellingrath Gardens, near Bayou La Batre AL south of Mobile. If you like flowers it’s a great place to visit.

At the time I was a 10yrold kid who did not want to be there. The last thing I wanted to do was look at flowers. Strangely, as soon as I saw your photo I knew where I’d seen it before, more than 50 years ago.

The first thing I knew about your photo is that it is a Hibicus in the Mallow family of plants. It’s not really a Rose. A little research later… the flowers were given to returning confederate soldiers by the ladies of Mobile.

The latin name of your rose is Hibiscus mutabilis, it’s from China… There are a few native giant Hibiscus species… like the Hibiscus coccineus, called Texas Star. My mom has it growing in the yard.

Other mallow family plants you know… Cotton, as in bluejeans and tshirts… and Okra, as in fried, boiled and pickled. If you look at the leaves of your plant you’ll see how closely they resemble okra or cotton.

Your confederate rose is nice, no one around here grows it that I’ve noticed.

1593973266117.png

Memory can be a pesky thing… Your confederate rose? I only remember seeing it once and that was at Bellingrath Gardens, near Bayou La Batre AL south of Mobile. If you like flowers it’s a great place to visit.

At the time I was a 10yrold kid who did not want to be there. The last thing I wanted to do was look at flowers. Strangely, as soon as I saw your photo I knew where I’d seen it before, more than 50 years ago.

The first thing I knew about your photo is that it is a Hibicus in the Mallow family of plants. It’s not really a Rose. A little research later… the flowers were given to returning confederate soldiers by the ladies of Mobile.

The latin name of your rose is Hibiscus mutabilis, it’s from China… There are a few native giant Hibiscus species… like the Hibiscus coccineus, called Texas Star. My mom has it growing in the yard.

Other mallow family plants you know… Cotton, as in bluejeans and tshirts… and Okra, as in fried, boiled and pickled. If you look at the leaves of your plant you’ll see how closely they resemble okra or cotton.

Your confederate rose is nice, no one around here grows it that I’ve noticed.

View attachment 45997

Thank you Peanut for the history. This one isn't mine but I'll put up a picture of it soon. But ours does have lots of blooms on it like this one and when in full bloom it is a really beautiful plant.
We laso have lots of Beauty Berry bushes here too. One right outside the greenhouse.

Thank you Peanut for the history. This one isn't mine but I'll put up a picture of it soon. But ours does have lots of blooms on it like this one and when in full bloom it is a really beautiful plant.
We laso have lots of Beauty Berry bushes here too. One right outside the greenhouse.

Here is the Texas Star hibiscus. This was during a severe drought several years ago, the plant was doing poorly then.

Anyway, it has very large blooms that really stand out. It would grow great where you live. There are several varieties with different bloom colors.

Texas Star sm.jpg

I made cornbread this morning in my Sun Oven. I put a little sugar in it too!
To the people who do not want sugar in any cornbread - Do you eat it plain? Or do you spread jelly/jam that is packed with sugar on it? Or do you load it up with honey before you eat it?

I made cornbread this morning in my Sun Oven. I put a little sugar in it too!
To the people who do not want sugar in any cornbread - Do you eat it plain? Or do you spread jelly/jam that is packed with sugar on it? Or do you load it up with honey before you eat it?

Nope , my wife's cornbread is so good...It don't need any help. I admit sometimes I'll load it with real butter,
We eat it along with our beans and taters at our meal time.

I did crumble it in buttermilk when I was a yougun, but can't find decent buttermilk anymore.

Jim

...or helped their mom make the legal limit of 7 gallons of blackberry wine?
A lot of work.
We kids felt we were owed some payback for all of our hard work.:waiting:
We got some.
emo12.gif

Camping out, we discovered our stolen wine was like if you put some alcohol in prune juice.
After
poop.png
ing our guts out, we were greeted with the worst headache imaginable the next morning.

Lesson learned: Blackberry wine; moderation is important.
nod.gif

*When we camped out there was no restroom or outhouse for miles in any direction.

Last edited:
My Mom would take us kids to pick blackberries every year. I came up with a plan. I yelled snake and Mom hit the road running. I thought it was perfect, it wasn't. Mom was done picking and we had to pick her share while she stood in the road with a stick she said was for snakes but I knew who that stick was for so I kept picking.

Back