Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some 20+ years ago, I was into building scale models, mostly aircraft in 1/144 scale.
I came across a box of some of my old builds and in-progress kits when cleaning out the garage. Some were lightly damaged during storage, but I think I have all the parts to fix and finish the lot.

20201112_192949.jpg

Need to replenish my paint supplies, though. Dang it's gotten expensive. I remember the days when it was $0.50 per bottle, now it's around $2.50!
shocked_smiley_emoticon.gif

Still, couldn't pass up a few more I found while paint shopping...

20201115_130756.jpg

I just noticed a tree that went down in the last hurricane, been by here a dozen times but just saw it today. These two trees were ancient when I was a little boy. They are about 6ft in diameter, the downed tree and another to the left.

There used to be a dozen of them around Mr. D’s old house place. Now there is just one left, the one with the black&white “No Trespassing” sign. The sign is about 20 inches wide but looks tiny on the tree trunk.

D Oaks (1) sm.JPG
D Oaks (2) sm.JPG

To me, this place looks like such a neat place to live. Winters would be harsh though. But it just looks so inviting and friendly. (Greenland, in case you're wondering.)

View attachment 53457

View attachment 53458

Greenland is real cold, I rhink they got the names mixed up with Iceland and Greenland. Iceland is not nearly as cold as Greenland.
That is a beauiful place.

Iceland is a volcanic island that is growing - meaning the volcanoes are active. They generate a lot of the islands power and heat homes with geothermal steam. We could do something similar using Yellowstone but the park department is hesitant because it might remove the heat that causes the geysers. That would cut down on one of the reasons people visit the park. It might also lower the risk of an eruption but that is an undefined outcome.

To me, this place looks like such a neat place to live. Winters would be harsh though. But it just looks so inviting and friendly. (Greenland, in case you're wondering.)

View attachment 53457

View attachment 53458
When I was in the Air Force the biggest fear an airman had was to be stationed in Greenland, I had TDY in October 1965 at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska and that was cold enough for me, just thankful I wasn't in the Army at that time, troops were doing cold weather training in Fairbanks where the temps were in the -30's, no thank you, we're happy to be here in S.W. Oregon. We spent enough time living at 8,000 ft. elevation in the mountains of Colorado, the only time we'll spend time in snowy conditions is if I'm elk hunting, snow and cold are good to deal with while hunting.

Boy, that place looks so familiar to me. I could swear that I've stood right there, in that exact spot, watching elk in Rocky Mountain National Park. "Horseshoe Park" it looks like to me. Of course, mountains can play tricks on you, this may not even be in Colorado. But it looks soooo familiar...

I was trying to post a story in the joke thread after seeing a picture of a 1964-65 Mercury Comet that had a 427 OHC engine stuffed under the windshield and it brought memories of when I used to go to the drag strip outside of Tacoma, Washington while I was stationed at McCord AFB, one time Jack Crissman was running his 1964 427 OHC, early funny car, he burned rubber the whole 1/4 mile, with a speed of 168, I don't remember his time but it was fast for those days. They were just starting to build "Funny Cars", I remember the Melrose Missile, 1964 Plymouth they were just starting to move the rear axle forward, probably at least a foot or more, they used front wheel locks to build up the rpm, using modified torque converters so that they could get the engine hp/torque higher for a good launch and I remember seeing one of those Plymouths that the driver spun the rim inside the tire, not everyone was using screws to keep that from happening. Those were cool times to live in.
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Sorry about the double pic, this dang computer likes to twist my tail, never ever a Toshiba=junk, look at it wrong and it does things I never meant to happen.
Computers have a camera so they can watch you.

And what ever you do don't swear at it! The microphone lets it listen to you and because it has memory it will never forget what you said.

Ben

Too funny… One of the youngsters bought a livestock trailer at a farm auction this morning. He drove more than 100 miles back here to the farm with a bucket dragging behind the trailer.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It was tied to the trailer in some manner with solid 10guage wire. He didn’t have bolt cutters or large wire cutters to cut the bucket loose.

It must be a generational thing.. If I drive that far from home I'd have enough tools to rebuild an engine or swap a transmission. I wouldn’t want to do it but I could if I had too. I'd certainly have bolt cutters with me.

trailer (1) sm.JPG

Too funny… One of the youngsters bought a livestock trailer at a farm auction this morning. He drove more than 100 miles back here to the farm with a bucket dragging behind the trailer. View attachment 54080View attachment 54080View attachment 54080

It was tied to the trailer in some manner with solid 10guage wire. He didn’t have bolt cutters or large wire cutters to cut the bucket loose.

It must be a generational thing.. If I drive that far from home I'd have enough tools to rebuild an engine or swap a transmission. I wouldn’t want to do it but I could if I had too. I'd certainly have bolt cutters with me.

View attachment 54081

I don't work out of my truck a great deal, but I keep an assortment of tools on hand. But I don't have bolt cutters. Thanks for the head up.

I just find them handy. I keep bolt cutters and a 2.5lb sledge hammer in the truck tool box. Seems something large always needs cut.

It was funny, I asked "did you have a good knife to cut through the plastic bucket?" Even if I couldn't cut the wire I'd have at least tried to cut the bucket loose from the wire.

They would be handy. When we pull the camper or taking a long trip I always have a good tool bag packed away. I keep some stuff in there all the time, but make a big addition for trips.

Got curious so I went and checked. These bolt cutters are only 18.5 inches long. They won't cut open a large padlock but I've used them on a regular masterlock once. Plenty big enough for most jobs on the farm. The hammer is 4lbs. I brought both in for a good coat of penetrating oil the other day, they were due.

They don't take up hardly any room in the tool box on my truck.

Bolt cutters sm.JPG

Back