Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At our house in Minnesota one year we got a lot of snow. Our garage door faced north and the snow would drift in front of the garage until it reached the garage roof. So I would park our car and truck outside in front of the garage. They would get completely covered with snow but it would be much less shoveling rather than having them inside the garage. It was only that bad one or two years but I am very happy I left that state.

At our house in Minnesota one year we got a lot of snow. Our garage door faced north and the snow would drift in front of the garage until it reached the garage roof. So I would park our car and truck outside in front of the garage. They would get completely covered with snow but it would be much less shoveling rather than having them inside the garage. It was only that bad one or two years but I am very happy I left that state.
I lived in Duluth in the 60's. We had snow piled as high as the top of the garage as well.

Being an air force family we were dirt poor and only had one car (which always had tire chains) but for qfamilies that could afford a second vehicle it was a snow mobile.

Ben

For a few years I serviced catscans in and around Buffalo NY, a 7000 sq mile area. I couldn't begin to guess the number of miles I drove in the snow.

One year I remember it snowed 54 straight days until Lakes Erie and Ontario froze over, then the daily lake effect snow finally stopped. My mail box was on my porch. I kept a path dug for my mailman. By Christmas I could no longer see the top of his head when he crossed my yard.

Ya'll can keep that kind of snow... To Quote John Prine "Send my mouth way down south and kiss my arse goodby" 😁

2 of my grand daughters , we had a ball with Thanksgiving.
image~2.jpg
image.jpg

Jim

Too funny… One of the youngsters bought a livestock trailer at a farm auction this morning. He drove more than 100 miles back here to the farm with a bucket dragging behind the trailer. View attachment 54080View attachment 54080View attachment 54080

It was tied to the trailer in some manner with solid 10guage wire. He didn’t have bolt cutters or large wire cutters to cut the bucket loose.

It must be a generational thing.. If I drive that far from home I'd have enough tools to rebuild an engine or swap a transmission. I wouldn’t want to do it but I could if I had too. I'd certainly have bolt cutters with me.

View attachment 54081
Back in my hotrodding days I always carried tools, points and condensers, coils, distributer caps, extra v-belts and plenty of tools, can't say that I ever needed them but I never wanted to be caught without them while wondering way out on a logging road, 50 miles from nowhere.

I was just thinking of the negative side of carrying all the extra tools and stuff, the time I rolled my 59' Ford pickup and as it was rolling, I remembered all the tools in the cab that could cause bodily harm, when everything stopped moving I patted myself down and found that I was in amazing condition, I had people tell me that I had an angel looking out for me and I believe that to be very true, I should have ended up over a bank and perhaps into a big tree.

I was just thinking of the negative side of carrying all the extra tools and stuff, the time I rolled my 59' Ford pickup and as it was rolling, I remembered all the tools in the cab that could cause bodily harm, when everything stopped moving I patted myself down and found that I was in amazing condition, I had people tell me that I had an angel looking out for me and I believe that to be very true, I should have ended up over a bank and perhaps into a big tree.
I was hit head on by someone going 60 mph as estimated by the police. The collision put the transaxel of the Taurus station wagon in the cabin foraward of the front seat. Tore my patella ligament since I had my foot fully on the brake pedal. Meanwhile all of my tool boxes slammed into the back of my seat. Did not break any ribs but the seat belt left me very sore.

To finish the story...

I climbed out of the car and watched the first responders cut the other driver out of his car with jaws of life. He was unconscious and came to asking "What happened?" His passenger yelled at him "I told you were driving too fast!"

The police officer recorded that statement. Not long after I picked up a check from my lawyer and walked directly to my jeweller. The Princess sports a near perfect gem because of that accident.

Ben

You really don't have to be very close to get a photo like that. There are stabilized platforms and cameras that stabilize frames and with the proper lenses you could be at a "safe distance. That being said the FAA calls an in flight distance of one mile a "close approach" and a near miss is anything closer that 1/4 mile. There is also the limits on "formation" flying in civilian flight. Most likely the picture was taken under "controlled" conditions with prior approval from all concerned.

Moose.JPG

Unfortunately the frigid cold snow cracks and squeaks when you walk on it, so the moose heard me sneaking around the cabin on the deck and jump over the fence. This is a young moose on its own this winter. We think the mother died. It had a twin all summer hanging out around our place, but I didn't see the twin. Certain features give the young moose away. Hopefully we see it all winter, but Alaskan winters in my area are pretty tough on young moose without mother moose.

Latest posts

Back