Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twenty years out of date.
IMG_0239.png

Looks good, these days I photo my work for a different reason. If life happens and I can't get back to a project for a few days its a nice reminder of how I took it apart. It's helped me re-assemble gear on more than one occasion. Is that one of your subaru's?

Honey? Where'd you put the hotdogs?

cat dog.jpg

Cat! If you eat my food you become my food!
Honey, we're having tacos tonight.

That is one weird engine. Like a liquid-cooled OHC VW engine. So, what is wrong with it?

Its a Subaru SOHC engine.

Leaking headgasket. Exhaust is getting into the coolant.

Again.....

I replaced the headgasket once already, six years ago.

Its a Subaru SOHC engine.

Leaking headgasket. Exhaust is getting into the coolant.
I replaced the headgasket once already, six years ago.

I've seen your posts about a known weak point in the engine design in the past. A known failure to their engines. Is this the issue you've posted about before?

The reason I ask... I've looked at a couple of used subaru's lately. I have a shop and have rebuilt lots of engines but... Is this issue straight forward? Good documentation, service manuals?

Or is it a gigantic, frustrating, pia repair?

With some companies, a major engine repairs are straight forward, no surprises, just have to turn and burn.

Other companies, well, 2 things are clear 1) it was designed by 9 engineers and no 2 spoke the same language. And 2) repairs are best done while skipping rope, giving your left ear a wet willy with your right little finger and singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic", in Latin.

An exaggeration but anyone whose swapped more than a few engines knows what I mean. Some designs are just poorly done and are very difficult to work on.

Last edited:
I've uncovered the holy of holy's.....the magical inner workings that man is not meant to see......unless he is having a bad day...
View attachment 73946View attachment 73947
I have seen that design problem on many other engines, just not a Subaru.
I don't want to clutter up the photo thread on how to fix it for good. Need another thread for that.

3 More pumpkins from that tv show. I saw a few minutes of it again the other night. The show is silly, some kind of contest. But the carvings and the folks doing it is amazing. I'd sit and watch for an hour if it were just the carvers. But they only show a few seconds here or there.

pumpkin 05 01.jpeg

My friend's mom caught a "mud puppy". I managed to snap one picture of it. She said she was going to release it near a wet area. I hope she didn't forget about the poor thing. I did not take pics of the asbestos tiles in the house she was cleaning out though. I didn't want to linger in there. I pointed out they were asbestos tiles & she acted like it was no big deal. She's going to clear them out. She's not the brightest bulb.
But here's the shot of the mud puppy (salamander w/ tiny legs)
mudpuppy1.jpg

Here are my two big critters. They came over for a visit today even though they hate a tractor. Since dad got sick I no longer have time for them. My donkey came over and "swapped breath". It's a way donkeys greet each other and people. My horse likes to lick me like he's a really big dog.

Bush 02 Holler flat 10a .JPG

Back