Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a cold ride.

c jeepsno.jpg

He's not real sick but his cough is awful.

Did you guys dry and put up any Boneset? It's stopped covid pneumonia even for people in the hospital. It's great for any kind of respiratory issue from viruses. Funny part, long ago it was commonly used to treat malaria, just like CQ and HCQ

Lacking that I'd go with usnea, then yellowroot both great for virus caused lung issues. Anyway, thought I'd mention boneset.

Last edited:
Did you guys dry and put up any Boneset? It's stopped covid pneumonia even for people in the hospital. It's great for any kind of respiratory issue from viruses. Funny part, long ago it was commonly used to treat malaria, just like CQ and HCQ

Lacking that I'd go with usnea, then yellowroot both great for virus caused lung issues. Anyway, thought I'd mention boneset.

Is it something I can buy? I have been giving him some of the Echinacea we put up.

Echinacea is a good thing, helpful with a virus. You know... I've never tried to buy boneset. I harvest some most years. I was taught the tea from dried herb was the best way to use it. But, tincture works and tincture has a very long shelf life, many years.

My best guess would be trying the Teeter Creek Herbs guy. Won't hurt to call and ask. If he doesn't have it dried he might have tincture. If he has neither he might know someone who does. He would know other herb folks in MO.

I just ran a search, internet said he's near the town of Ava MO.

Echinacea is a good thing, helpful with a virus. You know... I've never tried to buy boneset. I harvest some most years. I was taught the tea from dried herb was the best way to use it. But, tincture works and tincture has a very long shelf life, many years.

My best guess would be trying the Teeter Creek Herbs guy. Won't hurt to call and ask. If he doesn't have it dried he might have tincture. If he has neither he might know someone who does. He would know other herb folks in MO.

I just ran a search, internet said he's near the town of Ava MO.

That's only about 30 minutes from me I may head over there tomorrow. Would mullien help any?

Yes, mullein helps respiratory issues. Off the top of my head I could name 12-15 herbs that would help... but the chance of finding them growing wild this time of year is slim and none. Best bet is find someone who puts up lots of herbs, dry/tincture and sells them.

If I lived that close I'd drive over just to say hello and check things out. He might have MO plants that don't grow here in Bama.

@hashbrown About mullein… Tea is usually made from 1st years leaves. Somewhere in all my books is a description of drying leaves and smoking it like a cigarette. But I can’t seem to find it tonight. So I wouldn’t recommend smoking useless I could tell you the details.

Also, when making tea, don’t use an aluminum pot. Mullein will stain it permanently. That said, aluminum is a toxic metal. I don’t use it for anything concerning herbs.

Mullein is a bi-annual in the north. Here it grows year round. And yes mullein has been used when you have to rake snow off the leaves

There is one odd little quirky thing about mullein, not to be overly concerned about but if it happens you'll know why.

Now, the quirk… the leaves are in a rosette the first year. Most folks only harvest the inner leaves because… The outer leaves have caused nightmares, literally. Nightmares while sleeping. But only in a small percentage of people. If all I had were outer leaves and had the flu, I’d use them without hesitation. If I woke up from a nightmare… so be it.

Also Rabbit-Tobacco, Pseudognaphalium Obtusifolium is still viable after dying in the fall. Actually that’s when it's harvested, after dying, only plant I know harvested then. You should probably find it right now on any disturbed ground. Like last years loading ground for loggers or the edge of field that lay fallow this year. Anyway, It would also help respiratory issues.

Mullein in a first year rosette... I wouldn't harvest the oldest, largest leaves that are laying against the ground, only the light colored ones near the center.

Mullein a little  (11)a.jpg

Last edited:
Is it something I can buy? I have been giving him some of the Echinacea we put up.
Echinacea is a great herb, if I feel something coming on I use it and often the next day whatever was coming at me is gone, it's one of those herbs that you only want to use when you're getting sick, it seems to loose effectiveness if constantly used, that's where vitamin C helps, it's good as a preventative.

This is for @Amish Heart a tv show we both liked. I'd been working in Seattle one winter, been there a month, bored. I saw a brochure at my hotel about the show. It was actually filmed in Roslyn Washington an hour or so away.

I drove up there one weekend, had lunch at the "Brick" a bar/restaurant that was a fixture in the show. Wasn't much else to see, just a little town in winter. I took these pics.

Cicely AK 01.jpg

Roslyn Washington has become a rich liberal area. A lot of Hollywood celebrities' have bought million dollar homes there. There is a big gated community and the home prices have skyrocketed.
There is a great meat market there if you can find it.
Here is a small sample of houses for sell.
Roslyn, WA Homes For Sale & Roslyn, WA Real Estate | Trulia

That's neat that you got to see all that! Didn't realize it was in Washington.
It's winter coming up (maybe), so Boney Bear!

I thought it was filmed in Alaska like most people, until I saw the brochure. It's just up in the mountains east of Seattle. The only harrowing part... get my little rental car over the snowy mountains. There were no "tours" or any touristy things to do. Just a snowy little town, people going about their routines. It was lunch, a local told me the best place for lunch was Roslyn's Cafe. The Brick only had typical short order bar food. I went with the Brick.

Oh! I was able to walk through Ruth Ann's store. It was left like they'd just stopped shooting. There were little "do not touch" signs in front of can goods & sundries.

I have more pictures somewhere, from inside the Brick. I'll try to find them.

I thought it was filmed in Alaska like most people, until I saw the brochure. It's just up in the mountains east of Seattle. The only harrowing part... get my little rental car over the snowy mountains. There were no "tours" or any touristy things to do. Just a snowy little town, people going about their routines. It was lunch, a local told me the best place for lunch was Roslyn's Cafe. The Brick only had typical short order bar food. I went with the Brick.

Oh! I was able to walk through Ruth Ann's store. It was left like they'd just stopped shooting. There were little "do not touch" signs in front of can goods & sundries.

I have more pictures somewhere, from inside the Brick. I'll try to find them.

We were there once, more than 15 years ago but just drove thru town and didn't stop. Just having a look-see.

We would go thru Cle Elum to go camping & dredging near Liberty, and points further north up by Oroville, near the border. There was/is a small cafe diner in Cle Elum called the Cottage Cafe we'd always stop at for a bite. Did have decent food at a decent price though it was more like a truck stop. Thanks for posting about it. brings back lots of good memories

Back