Post good deals or bargains here

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very good deal on the meat. What it is they are having to cull the herds because of bad weather all over the place. Too much rain or none at all.

But the can goods are also cheaper than I've seen them in years too, so too bad we already bought groceries for the month.:(. But mayeb next time.

Those prices are a great deal and I'm tempted, but Safeway is far from me. Our Walmart doesn't ad match any longer either.
I do need to go to the grocery store. My family staying a week, or so, has wiped out my cupboards and things look bare even for me.
The last time I bought ground beef per lb at our local Walmart it was just about the same as price per lb for steak.
The grocery stores' here are good about marking down meat that's about to expire and that's what I try to pick up.

That is very good deal on the meat. What it is they are having to cull the herds because of bad weather all over the place. Too much rain or none at all.

But the can goods are also cheaper than I've seen them in years too, so too bad we already bought groceries for the month.:(. But mayeb next time.
Yes, the price of these groceries is something I haven't seen in quite a while.

What I didn't post, but have been meaning to post about, is the price of beef. Due to how dry it has been in places where people raise cattle, there are many people who are selling off their herds because they will not be able to afford to feed them this winter. Steak sales have hovered around $5.00 a pound, sometimes cheaper all summer. This is not all steaks, just special sales almost every week. I don't know if the prices will level off or go back up fairly soon, but i think I need to watch the ads more closely and stock up on beef.

I always wonder about getting past this sell off. When, not if, cattle go back up, we will have higher prices again. But when is that? And how many farmers and ranchers will lose their land in the process?

Yes, the price of these groceries is something I haven't seen in quite a while.

What I didn't post, but have been meaning to post about, is the price of beef. Due to how dry it has been in places where people raise cattle, there are many people who are selling off their herds because they will not be able to afford to feed them this winter. Steak sales have hovered around $5.00 a pound, sometimes cheaper all summer. This is not all steaks, just special sales almost every week. I don't know if the prices will level off or go back up fairly soon, but i think I need to watch the ads more closely and stock up on beef.

I always wonder about getting past this sell off. When, not if, cattle go back up, we will have higher prices again. But when is that? And how many farmers and ranchers will lose their land in the process?

I know it is really sad for the private cattlemen. We had t-bones on sale here couple weeks ago fro 5.99 lb. that never happens so yes the rains and droughts are doing a number on these private ranchers. I should have got some of the steaks fro hubby. I still can so will have to next trip.
Chicken too, I bought chicken for .99 cent a lb. last month.
It is kinda scary and sad.

I know it is really sad for the private cattlemen. We had t-bones on sale here couple weeks ago fro 5.99 lb. that never happens so yes the rains and droughts are doing a number on these private ranchers. I should have got some of the steaks fro hubby. I still can so will have to next trip.
Chicken too, I bought chicken for .99 cent a lb. last month.
It is kinda scary and sad.
It is scary, but it is a good reminder to stock up!

Our neighbor (rancher) said because it was so dry he had to keep moving his herds and ended up using his winter pastures so he will have to sell this fall. He plans to keep them as long as possible to build up their weight more (more $).

Today I purchased 123 glass amber bottles that appear to be unused for .10 c ea usually they are .60 c ea saving $61.50 on usual costs. Initially I purchased 10 and when I confirmed that I could purchase the lids I went back and purchased the whole box. We will use these for vanilla extract and other extracts we make as well as essential oils. While I was there I also purchased a herb book in really good condition about how to make herbal remedies, landscaping and a bit on bug deterrence in the garden for .20 c with the original price on the cover being $4.95.

All in all really happy with what a bargain of a day we have had. With the bottles we will keep around half for ourselves and sell the rest on the internet making a profit so ours will cost us nothing.

I heard it was global warming. I don't know much about it tho.

I know that since time the earth has been going through climate changes, warming then ice age's which we may be on the way to another ice age now.

But I also think man has something to do with it too. It is not a natural phenominum 'spl' that is causing Las Angelas and Hong Cong China, India ,etc,etc,etc, to be full of smog and air pollution.

The earth is changing on its own and IMO we are also changing the earth to a certain extent.:dunno:

Man causes changes that no one talks about. Man builds dams and floods huge areas of otherwise dry land. The new large amount of surface area of all that water evaporates into the air and this new humid air is carried away by the wind to some other distant location.

Near Phoenix is a nuclear power plant. This power plant heats water into steam to turn turbines to produce electricity. They then cool the "used" steam and reclaim the resulting water to use again. But some of that water is lost to the air. In this case the power plant "loses" about 50 million gallons of water PER DAY.

Overall most electric power plants use about 25 gallons of water to produce One kilowatt hour of electricity. All this used water goes into the air and is moved away by the winds to completely different areas. Just this HAS to change the weather to some degree.

I don't remember seeing a thread for this here. If I am wrong, admins, please delete this and comment on the original one so that it comes up, or merge this into the other one.

This ad is only good until tomorrow, but I just saw it.

Safeway!
80% lean ground beef (not the best, but many must eat it) $1.99 pound
Signature Kitchen SELECT Peanut Butter or Grape Jelly or Jam $.99 each when you buy 12, limit 24
Kuner's Vegetables, tomatoes or beans $.33 each when you buy 12, limit 24
I was looking for current ads and realized that I made an error in this post. This ad starts today and ends next Tuesday. Woo Hoo!

Do you have a Sprouts Farmers Market store near you?

Starting today, and going through next Wednesday, since they have double ad Wednesdays, the following items are good deals, imho:

Sweet Olathe Sweet Corn 8 for $1
Haas Avocados 47 cents each
Red, yellow or orange bell peppers 47 cents each
All natural boneless pork loin, sold whole in the bag: $1.49 per pound, limit 4
All-natural 100% grass-fed ground beef $3.99 per pound

My Kroger stores specials today: 4 boxes of GM cereal for $8.00. and get 1 free gallon of milk. I had coupons for $1 off each box. So I bought 12 boxes of cereal for $12 and got 3 free gallons of milk. Rotel clearout (the kind with cilantro seasoning) was 25 cents a can so I bought all they had (36 cans). $9.00. Knorr Spanish Rice Mix for $1.00 and I had $1 coupon off 4. so 75 cents each. Canned whole tomatoes (large can) clearout at 51 cents a can...I bought 6. A coupon for a free package of Keebler cookies. Large jars of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother and organic) at $3.65 each, bought two. Hamburger helper (food storage) at 88 cents, I bought 4, and American Beauty Pasta (food storage) at 68 cents a lb package, I bought 10. Paid cash. Hit the road. Now I get to date the cans and put it all away.

I wo
My Kroger stores specials today: 4 boxes of GM cereal for $8.00. and get 1 free gallon of milk. I had coupons for $1 off each box. So I bought 12 boxes of cereal for $12 and got 3 free gallons of milk. Rotel clearout (the kind with cilantro seasoning) was 25 cents a can so I bought all they had (36 cans). $9.00. Knorr Spanish Rice Mix for $1.00 and I had $1 coupon off 4. so 75 cents each. Canned whole tomatoes (large can) clearout at 51 cents a can...I bought 6. A coupon for a free package of Keebler cookies. Large jars of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother and organic) at $3.65 each, bought two. Hamburger helper (food storage) at 88 cents, I bought 4, and American Beauty Pasta (food storage) at 68 cents a lb package, I bought 10. Paid cash. Hit the road. Now I get to date the cans and put it all away.
I wonder if we have the same ad? We have similar sales in our ad, but our prices are a little higher for some of the items. I am not seeing the vinegar, and it is on my shopping list. Rotel tomatoes are $1.00 here. The Knorr sides are $1 here. I think they are great for 72 hour or bug out bags, along with powdered butter and a box of milk.

Man causes changes that no one talks about. Man builds dams and floods huge areas of otherwise dry land. The new large amount of surface area of all that water evaporates into the air and this new humid air is carried away by the wind to some other distant location.

Near Phoenix is a nuclear power plant. This power plant heats water into steam to turn turbines to produce electricity. They then cool the "used" steam and reclaim the resulting water to use again. But some of that water is lost to the air. In this case the power plant "loses" about 50 million gallons of water PER DAY.

Overall most electric power plants use about 25 gallons of water to produce One kilowatt hour of electricity. All this used water goes into the air and is moved away by the winds to completely different areas. Just this HAS to change the weather to some degree.

I deleted the post. Maybe best in politics discussion.

Last edited:
The Rotel is normally $1 can, or 88 cents on sale here, but they had Rotel with cilantro on clearout. Guess they're not stocking it anymore. That's why it was 25 cents a can. So I cleared the shelf. Not worth canning my own at that price. The exp dates were all over the place...2020, 2019, and use this month. That's ok. I always walk down the aisles and look for the mostly white "clear out" signs. It's usually on a product they won't be stocking anymore. I bet that they have the cereal deal. It would be $2 a box, just happened to have coupons, too. And the free gal of milk. I know the Kroger Store in Kansas (called Dillons) has some of the same sales, but not all. Our Kroger store here is called Smiths.

Great deals @Amish Heart I would have cleared the shelves at that price too :). It really pays to fill your pantry when you can get things so cheaply.

We are waiting until we see a lot of the items we usually buy on half price special to use our final $240 for $200 e-voucher for the 3 months groceries. We already got everything we used so far plus topped up on a few items with the first 2 e-vouchers. Still have another 3 to use in November and may buy more then to keep a stock of them as they have a 3 year use by date.

Good when you have a good pantry supply and you can wait for good specials before you restock again.

The Rotel is normally $1 can, or 88 cents on sale here, but they had Rotel with cilantro on clearout. Guess they're not stocking it anymore. That's why it was 25 cents a can. So I cleared the shelf. Not worth canning my own at that price. The exp dates were all over the place...2020, 2019, and use this month. That's ok. I always walk down the aisles and look for the mostly white "clear out" signs. It's usually on a product they won't be stocking anymore. I bet that they have the cereal deal. It would be $2 a box, just happened to have coupons, too. And the free gal of milk. I know the Kroger Store in Kansas (called Dillons) has some of the same sales, but not all. Our Kroger store here is called Smiths.
Yes, we have the cereal deal, but I eat cereal so rarely. I haven't probably eaten any this year. I do think I will go get some Cheerios and the milk. If they have the gluten free variety, I will get at least one for my daughter who has celiac.
I would have gotten all of the Rotel as well.
I always look at the reduced items at the back of the store.

One more thing that is in this weekly ad (Krogers, called King Soopers in Colorado) is pork shoulder roast, $.99 a pound this week, if you buy a whole one. It is $2.49 if you just want part of one, or rather a roast.

Since daughter and I want to buy a bushel of roasted green chili's and make up all of them into a large batch of green chile, this is the perfect deal for us this week. Some recipes say only use pork shoulder or pork butt, while others use pork tenderloin.

My wife signed up for the Safeway app and she gets daily emails with some great sales.
Only available with the app.
Recently I got a new phone, replacing an old one where I could get any apps. I now have the Safeway app and have been receiving emails from them. I really haven't looked at the emails, but I will check them out.

Our Sprouts have cantaloupe 77 cents each, and green grapes 88 cents a lb, and Fuji apples 88 cents a lb. Bought 5 cantaloupes.

Our apples are high down here. That is a good deal Amish.
We do buy organic most of the time though. Makes it easy to prepare, just cut them up, put them in little water ' seeds,peelings and all' and freeze what we don't eat.

Latest posts

Back