Posting for my dad.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's been called out of town on emergency business, but don't worry about it. Everything will be fine.
Magus Jr., pull up a stump and join the crowd. A chip off of that block is certainly welcome.

My boy would not fit in here, I've tried. he's........OUT THERE.
Not a snowflake but well.... I just wish I knew he existed for the first twenty years of his life..
His mother is a grass eater, all I'm saying. One night stands can and will return to haunt you!
for a bottle of Jim Beam my son was made. In the short time I had him, he shoots as good as I do, and quick with a knife too!
I'm proud to have contributed to his spirituality and his knowledge of bigger things, He's Al gore with an AK-47!

My boy would not fit in here, I've tried. he's........OUT THERE.
Not a snowflake but well.... I just wish I knew he existed for the first twenty years of his life..
His mother is a grass eater, all I'm saying. One night stands can and will return to haunt you!
for a bottle of Jim Beam my son was made. In the short time I had him, he shoots as good as I do, and quick with a knife too!
I'm proud to have contributed to his spirituality and his knowledge of bigger things, He's Al gore with an AK-47!
It must be a blessing to have him in your life now.

OK Here I am.

I'm working on obtaining things we would need to survive an EMP. I'm on a limited budget. I'm looking into a way to keep a stash of electronics in a faraday cage, and using used book stores to obtain the knowledge and such my household would need. I don't live with Magus, unfortunately. But I am storing books on surviving, in case of a blackout, and some other supplies. I thought I might join this forum and see how to go about surviving in such an environment.

Last edited:
OK Here I am.

I'm working on obtaining things we would need to survive an EMP. I'm on a limited budget. I'm looking into a way to keep a stash of electronics in a faraday cage, and using used book stores to obtain the knowledge and such my household would need. I don't live with Magus, unfortunately. But I am storing books on surviving, in case of a blackout, and some other supplies. I thought I might join this forum and see how to go about surviving in such an environment.
Welcome! You must be wise to know to work on preparedness in many different ways. Preparing on a limited budget is doable, it just takes longer, usually, but there are ways to acquire important needs for free or inexpensively. I have done well with Craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores and other similar places for getting things for free or pennies on the dollar. I suggest doing lots of reading and research, then making wish lists for different categories, and to search them out. Camping gear, equipment, 5 gallon water jugs (for office dispensers), and so much is out there for free or cheap. It is a matter of looking and searching for it.

OK Here I am.

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. Making the decision to prep is a huge step in the right direction. Prioritize what you think is most important, and go at it a little at a time as your budget permits.

OK Here I am.

Welcome AMC,

When I think faraday cages, I think ask @Neb he'll know. I know there are discussions on the topic, use the search tool to find links on the topics you need. Or use the letter function to send him a private note.

I agree with you 100% on the books approach:

I know you didn't ask for it, but here is my opinion: I would list the different topics that are important to YOU in a SHTF event, such as an EMP. Then prioritize your list and then, as you can afford it buy a book or two on the most important topic, then the next topic, repeat until you have a good library.

I would also suggest you set aside some resources for the basics, Water, food, shelter, medical, defense…

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to learn to cook from scratch using old fashioned recipes….. Now there is a skill that pays for itself.

Well now that I've given you my 2 cents worth: WELCOME! We are glad you are here!

I have no idea what you know about EMPs but there are two different kinds. The Solar EMP will only effect the main power grid that isn't protected. In some places the grid has been protected with fast electronic switches that disconnect the high power lines from the rest of the infrastructure. The flares and coronal mass ejections take a minimum ofthree days to get to Earth from the sun so we have lots of notice. If you are concerned that the surge will get to you you can just turn the power off for the two or three days it will last. Even in the areas not protected the large transformers will blow before the pulse can get to the end users like you and me.

The EMP from a high altitude atomic blast is a whole different process. Called an HEMP it is composed of three destructive pulses, E1, E2, and E3. And that is the order they happen. You can find the discussion HERE.

Welcome to the forum! I agree on the books, have a decent library. It's impossible to keep up with all the data out there on any subject. There are books written by real experts, sometimes hard to find but they are there.

With any quest for knowledge... Einstein - Don't listen to the person who has the answers; listen to the person who has the questions.

Welcome @AMC ! If you like books, might ask at your local library if/when they have their annual book sale. Lots of folks donate books to them (at least at ours) then they have a fund raiser and sell the books often $x for a whole bag. Non fiction goes pretty quickly though. Lots of prepping info here. Sometimes it's nice just to read through the threads even if you know about the subject. There can be aspects or tidbits of info that are helpful.

Glad you finally made it my boy! Head to the library section first, lots of PDF files in there.
A time is coming when knowledge is the only viable currency. we also have many members
who are into herbal cures and medicinal marijuana , look them up!

P.S
The boy and I share the skill of cooking, wait until he shares some stuff, he's good!

Latest posts

Back