Potato?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weedy probably not this year its kinda late down here for white and don't have any sweets to plant.
But today we had next to last white potato along with a sweet leftover from last night.
I don't have any potatoes. I just don't eat them anymore except for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. And I am staying home, social distancing. I think I am going to order some seed potatoes and plant them though.

I just found some video's on growing taters in 5 gallon buckets. Not bad vid's and the guy explains pretty well what he does and why. I'll give links to all 3. Takes you from Planting to Harvest.

5 Gallon Bucket Grown Potato Harvest

I have wanted to try this for some time, but never get a round to it. Some day maybe when I retire. How could you not love a guy wearing a Stevie Ray Vaughn t-shirt. Thanks for sharing.

I plant potatoes every year (even on the years we’re supposedly not planting a garden because we have too many other things going on). For me they grow well, store well, and nothing beats the fun of digging up the potato harvest. 😁

I wish we had planted them too GoshenG but we had too much going on and did get to plant. We do have soem veggys planted .

I wish we had planted them too GoshenG but we had too much going on and did get to plant. We do have soem veggys planted .
Meer, I have never planted potatoes “on time.” Honestly, I plant them when I can - and thankfully it works out.
I don’t know about your growing zone, though - I’ve never planted that far south. But in the years when I’ve planted “late” I’ve used short season/early potatoes (varieties that require fewer days). Given the heat of the south, I’d put them in part shade or use a shade cloth for part of the day so they don’t overheat.

Meer, I have never planted potatoes “on time.” Honestly, I plant them when I can - and thankfully it works out.
I don’t know about your growing zone, though - I’ve never planted that far south. But in the years when I’ve planted “late” I’ve used short season/early potatoes (varieties that require fewer days). Given the heat of the south, I’d put them in part shade or use a shade cloth for part of the day so they don’t overheat.
GoshenG I'll keep this in mind for next season but we have too much going on now. And we both like potatoes so gonna miss having them. We can still plant sweets if we can find some now. Its been liek late spring here for months! Heat is terrible.

I am thinking this is a year to plant as many potatoes as I can. I have a package of 80 red onions, but the store was out of yellow onions. I should have bought the white starts, but I don't buy or use them much.

Anyone else going to try to grow a bunch of potatoes this year?

Yep. We ordered a green house Monday and as soon as it gets here we are setting it up and will start planting. Otherwise we have to wait, our last freeze date is May 30th. I have seed potatoes and potato seeds to try.

This is my experience. However, I have no idea what kind of hay is better.

If you haven't tried to buy seed potatoes yet, you might not find any. You may have to use the less than ideal potatoes you buy from the grocery store.

Because of my climate there are never seed potatoes when I need them unless I want to store them in the crisper bin in my fridge for 6 months.
I buy organic certified potatoes from the organic section at the supermarket for my seed potatoes.
It's one way of ensuring they haven't been treated with sprout nip which stops potatoes from sprouting in storage.

Because of my climate there are never seed potatoes when I need them unless I want to store them in the crisper bin in my fridge for 6 months.
I buy organic certified potatoes from the organic section at the supermarket for my seed potatoes.
It's one way of ensuring they haven't been treated with sprout nip which stops potatoes from sprouting in storage.
Thank you! It never occurred to me to buy organic potatoes for seed potatoes!

We have done that to avoid chemicals too.

This is my experience. However, I have no idea what kind of hay is better.

It really depends on the farmer and his original use for the hay. If it was grown to be hay or just a cover crop it would have been harvested before the seed heads were mature. If its left over after the ripe seeds (oats, Milo, wheat,etc) were harvested then all the plants to short for the combine will still have seeds on them when cut and baled.

You can use regular store potatoes as well. Just was them off and let them dry. Leave them in their paper bag in a warm dark place and when they start to soften, place them in light, not direct sun and wait for them to chit. That means start to sprout. Gives them a head start on planting out and you know they will grow.

started these sweet potato slips about a month ago.

1587304191668.png

Latest posts

Back