Potatoes: South America's Gift to the World

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just reading that the largest product on Alaska farms is Potatoes. It was what the homesteaders produced on their cleared land, for prove-up.

Ah yes! thank you for jogging my memory. I had a friend who made those on occasion. I'd forgotten them! I may have to make some now! He used baked and mashed potatoes.

THIS is what I can't grasp.

Livestock Inventory

Cattle, Cows, Beef - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )7,800
Cattle, Cows, Milk - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )200
Cattle, Incl Calves - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )18,000
Hogs - Inventory ( First of Dec. 2021 )1,900

I know there is a cut flower industry in Alaska. not large but there is an organisation for growers.

THIS is what I can't grasp.

Livestock Inventory

Cattle, Cows, Beef - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )7,800
Cattle, Cows, Milk - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )200
Cattle, Incl Calves - Inventory ( First of Jan. 2022 )18,000
Hogs - Inventory ( First of Dec. 2021 )1,900

think its to low or to high..please explain.

I know there is a cut flower industry in Alaska. not large but there is an organisation for growers.

maybe its to low production to report. or they dont report. i do know not all provide info for this.

i know back in the day in alaska geographic on farming and gardening issue they had very few operations of any real size in that addition. but that was in early 80's i think. the kilchers were one of main folks featured for livestock...even way back then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agric...r livestock include chickens, hogs, and sheep.

The state of Alaska contains some 500 farms, covering about 830,000 acres in 2015,[1] mainly to the northeast of the state's largest city, Anchorage, in the Matanuska Valley. The farms produce greenhouse and nursery crops, as well as hay (20,000 tons), dairy produce, potatoes (140,000 cwt), and livestock including cattle (11,000 inc. calves in 2016), reindeer, bison, and yak.[2] Cereals in the state include barley (146,000 bushels) and oats (47,000 bushels). Other livestock include chickens, hogs, and sheep. By value, the top livestock commodities in 2015 were milk ($770,000), eggs, and beef in that order.[3][1]

The exceptionally long summer days enable some vegetables to attain world record sizes, including a carrot of 19 pounds (8.6 kg), a rutabaga of 76 pounds (34 kg), and a cabbage of 127 pounds (58 kg).

think its to low or to high..please explain.

I just don't know where those cattle are located. The last Dairy farm closed last year, it was up near Delta, Alaska and it did have 200 milk cows, but they got rid of those when they shut down. I just have no idea where there are 7,800 head of Beef.

Odd find. ever notice any potato dishes in Mexican restaurants?
You'd think they'd have invented french fries?

It’s not a French fry, it’s a Francophone fry
Common lore claims that the original fry was born in Namur in francophone Belgium, where the locals were particularly fond of fried fish. When the River Meuse froze over one cold winter in 1680, people ostensibly fried potatoes instead of the small fish they were accustomed to, and the fry was born.

Proponents of this story claim that this Belgian town is not only the source of the French fry, but indeed, of its name: American soldiers, stationed in the francophone region during World War I, allegedly dubbed the potatoes ‘French fries’, and the common (if slightly imprecise) moniker was born.
This was a part of "Believe it or Not".

I thought is was like french onion soup and french cut beans...

Cut lengthwise.

Ben

Latest posts

Back