Potatoes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

...the part i want people to read is the bottom part of calorie reduction for a year and what effects it has on a society...

1400 daily calories is starvation level for a society...maintained for 12 months would reduce population by 20% and decrease manual labor performance by 95% and clerical and light labor by 80%.

...if you grew and set aside a pound of potatoes and had a flock of chickens large enough to gather a dozen eggs a day...thats still only 395 +840=1235 calories for the day. now thats not counting if you use oil or a butter in pan to brown potatoes or fry eggs in.then it goes way up..but you gotta get the fat from somewhere..the cupboard or the critter.

^^^ This is an excellent topic for exploration... I will start another thread right now! ^^^^

WHERE WILL YOU GET YOUR CALORIES DURING LONG AND HARD TIMES???

It would not take long for us to reach skin-and-bones stage. I think that most people have no idea how quickly this can happen.

That must have been some really cold tolerant potatoes.o_O.

i have seen potatoes grown all over russia,siberia and far northern europe in various homestead settings. one thing people fail to consider when thinking farther north is the increased daylight hours.it makes up for lack of total growing days.the old couple gathering pumpkins and taters in other thread i posted live in baikal region of southern siberia.

also i have a very old garden book from alaska filled with pictures of gardening and homesteading grown items and it gives hints and clues to successes. one it shows warming the soil by building up raised type beds but the northern side is higher with slope going down on southern edge.this gives it more surface area to capture sunlight and store heat in that area to speed up planting times by warming soil.every little bit counts too...every day delayed is a huge loss too.

another example is ben falk grows rice on his homestead in vermont.

^^^ This is an excellent topic for exploration... I will start another thread right now! ^^^^

WHERE WILL YOU GET YOUR CALORIES DURING LONG AND HARD TIMES???

It would not take long for us to reach skin-and-bones stage. I think that most people have no idea how quickly this can happen.

I am up to my neck in alligators right now, but will get to this important topic as soon as I can!

(Once I slay these "gators" I will make fine Alligator Sauce Piquant! lol)

in the ground covered with dirt...nuff said.

i tried covering potatoes one year with straw that was planted in ground instead of more soil after first covering with soil at planting time...the mice and rats had a field day with them.never again...cover with dirt

Latest posts

Back