Precious Metals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I got alerted via another forum that silver is at a pretty good price right now. Today it's at $15.92. Gosh, I remember a few years ago when I wanted a small supply and bought it at around $30. It's OK though, as I doubt I'll ever sell it. It's just part of my nest egg. I don't like to have PM's in my IRA's or paper investments. I like the real thing.....and it's pretty too!

So, it looks like I'm gonna keep an eye on the silver market and maybe pounce this week and add a few coins to my collection.

Are there any other silver buyers out there? If so, please chime in!

10 years ago I heard silver was about to go thru the roof, so I called Swiss Co. Told them I wanted to get $5000 worth of dimes. He said, " I'm not going back there and drag out $5000 worth of dimes!"
So there went my last lump sum of cash to spend so never got any silver.
I thought if shtf a dime would be fair trade since all other money would be worthless. And who would have change for a silver dollar, not many.

Any time I have extra money I buy shiny metal. Hubby just asked me today if I wanted jewelry for our anniversary and I said no I want shiny metal. He was up for that lol
I consider mine part of the nest egg also. I like it better than papers stating I have such and such

Gold and silver should be a absolute last thing to use for purchasing or bartering for consumables. Precious metals are the best way to save your moneys value. Keep it until the bad times pass and you won;t have to start from scratch. Gold and silver are a savings account that doesn't pay interest but it never loses its value to depreciation or inflation. In the middle of the depression the folks were trading bags of gold and silver jewelery for a bag of potatoes or bread. Nobody needed gold and silver as much as they needed food. It is OK to trade extra goods for precious metals but don't go the other way. Keep the precious metals for normalcy when it will have its value back.

Bet they didn't trade a bag of potatoes for their taxes
Thats one of the reasons I buy it. I might need it to pay the taxes on my property later on down the road when I'm on a fixed income.
You just never know what will happen

If you can afford it everyone should have at least a little silver on hand. And if you have a pile of stocks it would likely be a fair idea to take some money and put into PM's. Gold is down now as is silver. I am watching it and might pick up a little more.

Bet they didn't trade a bag of potatoes for their taxes
Thats one of the reasons I buy it. I might need it to pay the taxes on my property later on down the road when I'm on a fixed income.
You just never know what will happen

You also have to consider they confiscated all precious metals during Great Depression too. So basically many who bought PM just saved it for the gov.

You also have to consider they confiscated all precious metals during Great Depression too. So basically many who bought PM just saved it for the gov.

Uncle Sam might have a difficult time finding mine. I gave all of mine away as Christmas gifts. Also gave some to charity...... Plus, my memory isn't very good....I just don't remember what I did with the rest of it. Gosh, if I do get more, I'll have to be more careful about remembering where I put it.

Uncle Sam might have a difficult time finding mine. I gave all of mine away as Christmas gifts. Also gave some to charity...... Plus, my memory isn't very good....I just don't remember what I did with the rest of it. Gosh, if I do get more, I'll have to be more careful about remembering where I put it.

:D well my memory is not what it use to be either.o_O

The gov only went after the gold likely because our coins were all silver at that time. And the gov did not really have 'hit squads' that went door-to-door looking for gold. For the gov silver will likely never be worth enough to "go after".
While the gov might outlaw PM's again I really doubt they will ever do the house searches for it. Just too dangerous and PM's are so easy to hide/sell/give away/etc.

The gov only went after the gold likely because our coins were all silver at that time. And the gov did not really have 'hit squads' that went door-to-door looking for gold. For the gov silver will likely never be worth enough to "go after".
While the gov might outlaw PM's again I really doubt they will ever do the house searches for it. Just too dangerous and PM's are so easy to hide/sell/give away/etc.

Hope your right. :dunno: I do know silver is used in some kind of tech now too so that makes it more valuable. Forgot what kind. :confused:

No records of any kind and I pay cash. I have no idea what the "gov" is talking about lol

Been buying PMs for years in small quantities here and there. PMs are a good as a store of wealth and a hedge against economic uncertainty, and having some in your possession is just another prepping activity. :)

Been buying PMs for years in small quantities here and there. PMs are a good as a store of wealth and a hedge against economic uncertainty, and having some in your possession is just another prepping activity. :)

Pawn shops sell silver last I check years ago, it was $10 a dime.

Pawn shops sell silver last I check years ago, it was $10 a dime.
Bear in mind there's a difference between collectible silver - old silver coins - and bullion silver that isn't of interest to collectors. Most local coin shops (LCS) that sell numismatic collectibles also sell bullion rounds and bars. Unless they're the only game in town, they don't charge too much over spot price. Apmex.com, jmbullion.com and providentmetals.com are online sites I've used that have good prices.

Bear in mind there's a difference between collectible silver - old silver coins - and bullion silver that isn't of interest to collectors. Most local coin shops (LCS) that sell numismatic collectibles also sell bullion rounds and bars. Unless they're the only game in town, they don't charge too much over spot price. Apmex.com, jmbullion.com and providentmetals.com are online sites I've used that have good prices.

Thanks for update. I never collected any metals, except aluminum cans.

For a quick easy check on any particular silver or gold item you can check prices on Ebay. As the spot price changes during the day, so do the prices on Ebay. All the major sellers sell on ebay. Plus no up-charge for using your credit card and free shipping.

I've heard you have to be really diligent on eBay and watch for fakes. I don't know how true that is since I've never ordered PM's on Ebay. I'm sure there is a way to check their stores to make sure they are legit.

I've ordered from Apmex and been happy with them. They offer free delivery with orders over $99 and the last time I ordered they delivered with signature confirmation.
Here's a link if anyone is interested. The PM prices are at the top of the page and constantly change while the stock market is open.
https://www.apmex.com/product/83620/1-oz-silver-round-apmex-rmc-9999-fine-co-branded

I've heard you have to be really diligent on eBay and watch for fakes. I don't know how true that is since I've never ordered PM's on Ebay. I'm sure there is a way to check their stores to make sure they are legit.

I've ordered from Apmex and been happy with them. They offer free delivery with orders over $99 and the last time I ordered they delivered with signature confirmation.
Here's a link if anyone is interested. The PM prices are at the top of the page and constantly change while the stock market is open.
https://www.apmex.com/product/83620/1-oz-silver-round-apmex-rmc-9999-fine-co-branded
Like I said above all the big major sellers sell on ebay. Like many sites scams are common but ebay seems to handle scammers pretty good. I have odered several times from ebay but I have always bought from the major PM dealers that often sell on ebay cheaper than their own web sites!

It would never occur to me to buy PM on ebay. Are the prices often better than at places like APMEX?

I have never paid above spot price for gold or silver. I don't watch it like I used to but I occasionally find a deal. I started buying silver when it was $6 an ounce and gold when it was $450 an ounce. I learned early on that you don't sell it because you never get it for less money. I just buy it when I get a good deal and then I hang on to it.

Hope your right. :dunno: I do know silver is used in some kind of tech now too so that makes it more valuable. Forgot what kind. :confused:
As a simple example, silver is used as a coating on mirrors where you need high reflectivity is the 400-450 nm (blue) range. If you have a high-performance telescope that covers the entire visible band, you have a little silver in your possession.

As a simple example, silver is used as a coating on mirrors where you need high reflectivity is the 400-450 nm (blue) range. If you have a high-performance telescope that covers the entire visible band, you have a little silver in your possession.
Silver is used as a conductor in electronics, as a natural antibiotic in bandages, in the construction of photovoltaic solar cells, in battery construction, detergents, and many other industries.

The thing to bear in mind is that silver has been and still is used in ways where it can't really be recovered. As a result, there is actually less silver above-ground than gold today.

I have some silver, but I think raising my on food is more import then large bank roll of silver.
I have more brass, it is cheaper to stock pile & can be used in many fields of work.

Latest posts

Back