• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Precision pistol sights

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So, Appleseed Project starting a pistol course. The standard is set at only 7 yards but the target is ridiculously small and requires many shots on it in a short several seconds. Talking 3/4in by 1in square 10 rounds in 15 seconds for one of the courses of fire.

Never been into precision pistol shooting because I've never seen the point. I consider them a close in defense firearm where hair precision isnt quite so necessary.

That being said, as an Appleseed instructor I want to qualify at this.

Thinking I'll need a target pistol for this but I'd prefer to use more of a carry pistol. So, what are options for precision iron sights? A red dot wont work because even a 1 moa dot isnt going to be 1 moa at 7yrds. Thinking it will be too big. Maybe a reflex sight with a pointy chevron? Dont want to go full magoo with a scope on a pistol.

Help a brother war game out a set up.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It would help to know what kind of gun you have in mind.

The new Holosun red/green dot handgun optics have 3 options. Dot, Circle Dot, or just a Circle. For the kind of precision you are talking about the circle option would allow you to be much more accurate at close ranges than the dot would. Just throwing that out as an option.

circledot.jpg

As far as iron sights go it's hard to beat Dawson Precision. They make sights for numerous different handguns, and most them have tons of options as far as sight blade thickness and height goes. Ditto that with rear sight notch width. They also come in both fiber optic and just plain serrated metal. A very thin front sight with a somewhat wide notch would aid in pinpoint accuracy.

Another very ugly option would be the sights made by MatchPoint USA. Although I believe they are only made for Glock at this time and the model is called something like EdgePoint. I have no experience with them but they seem to be designed for precision shooting (if you like Gaston's humpback pistol).

matchpoint.jpg

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I havent decided on pistol yet. I have a glock 24 with a 9mill conversion barrel I was thinking of using, a walther p22 with 5 inch barrel which would need a much better trigger and was considering a purchase for a dedicated target pistol along the lines of a ruger mark 4 tactical.

It would help to know what kind of gun you have in mind.

The new Holosun red/green dot handgun optics have 3 options. Dot, Circle Dot, or just a Circle. For the kind of precision you are talking about the circle option would allow you to be much more accurate at close ranges than the dot would. Just throwing that out as an option.

View attachment 36151

As far as iron sights go it's hard to beat Dawson Precision. They make sights for numerous different handguns, and most them have tons of options as far as sight blade thickness and height goes. Ditto that with rear sight notch width. They also come in both fiber optic and just plain serrated metal. A very thin front sight with a somewhat wide notch would aid in pinpoint accuracy.

Another very ugly option would be the sights made by MatchPoint USA. Although I believe they are only made for Glock at this time and the model is called something like EdgePoint. I have no experience with them but they seem to be designed for precision shooting (if you like Gaston's humpback pistol).

View attachment 36153

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
50 rounds I think. Not quite sure of exact details yet. That was only one cof out of 4. Each one different with different round count, mag changes, target transitions, etc.

Latest posts

Group Builder