Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember if you run out of space.......bury it. I have close to 300 cans of red salmon buried.

You always have to install more shelves. I was at the point where I was just looking for sales, but now with inflation, sales are hard to find. So I just keep my same grocery budget for the week and get anything I deem as fair price and just keep stacking food
More shelving yes assumed.

But done?

Never expected to see that.

Ben

Life is want it is ... I do not do preparations. (no longer)
We have food, herbs and knowledge and hope for the best. I have been a prepper for more years than I care to remember.
I have been wanting for the ball to drop for years...
What ever will be ... will be ...
Man, do I sound like a downer. lol
seek, learn and store.
I honestly believe that you don't have to wait much longer, there is just too many things going on that are going to bring about the end of this age, all I can say is to be prepared spritually.

The prices are getting too high. I just do replacement now. I can no longer fill the truck just because. I was looking at eggs yesterday. They are up to $8.00 a dozen and not much of them.

There is only going to be so much longer before feed is too prohibitive. No more hatching willy nilly. Chicken math must be controlled.

2 qt Mason jars are $26.00 for six. 1 qt jars are $20.00 a dozen. $300.00 barely filled a grocery bag yesterday and grocery bags are no longer being provided, period. $230.00 for two buckets of paint.

Its time to batton down the hatches.

I noticed many, many farmers out working the fields yesterday. More land than ever being used.
Gas was up 20 cents yesterday, and heard Rochester area will get another 40 cents by the weekend. I think diesel is over $6 already. By fall, harvest time, the prices that the farmers will need will be through the roof.
We may have a lot, more than we think we might need. But, if you’re able, just a wee bit more might come in handy.
Glad it’s yard sale season. Jars just might come up.
Clem, I feel for you. Things seem to be a whole lot more north of the border.

We have stepped up the water supply. I got a lecture from my wife about throwing away 2 liter soda bottles. She actually dug them out of the recycling bin and saved them. We clean them, and store water in them. Our supply is considerable, but we want to be sure if somethings goes completely South and ground sources may be contaminated we will be ready.

Every week I try to put away extra food, and TP (I am NOT running out of that). Supplies are building nicely. For all the newbies out there who are just starting, you can build your supplies very easily by just buying an extra box of this or a can of that each time you go to the store. Add it to your long term stash, and you won't break the bank doing it.

Built a new chicken coop and finishing up building a greenhouse for the new property. We are building it here in our shop in pieces and then will haul it out to the new place to put together.
Hoping the weather dries up a bit so we can finish cutting in the road, and then haul the trailer out to boondock on the place. We will need to get a huge container to store water until they can get the well truck back to dig a well.
I'm just not relishing the idea of living in a RV park next to the highway.

No, but it'll help that you're on your property, soon enough! There will always be work to be done. It's nonstop. The only thing you can count on is change: animals change, gardens change, even people change. Last summer I had pneumonia, and it set me back a month. I'm looking forward to what I can get done this summer. Rototiller just was delivered. A big box on a big pallet in our garage. It'll save my back after I figure out how to use it.
Off to do some shopping at Tractor and then to Aldi to load up a cart. I'll see what I can get today at a good price. Ha Ha. Our gas went up two days ago, overnight, to $4 a gallon. We had filled up the day before at $3.79. I wish Biden would stop talking. Everytime he does, the prices go up. I hear he is buying back oil at a high price that he sold at a low price. What an idiot. I'm sure he doesn't have to pay for gas. Ever.

Ugh, yeah our gas is up too. I just figured it was because of mother's day weekend. Driving through portland on Sunday, it was over $5/gal. We had taken my daughter's impreza, which is much better on gas then my outback (as it is the offroad kind) - so thankfully we only had to refuel once.

It’s Tuesday, when they pack the meat coolers at the little market. As long as they sell bone-in chops for $1.80lb, I’ll keep buying them, bought 6 pkgs. Someone had beaten me to the steaks. Only one pkg of (3)ribeyes left so I bought it. Got more bacon, diced ham and sausage.

They also had fresh catfish for $2 less per pound than in the big town. Got 4 pounds, plan to vacuum seal and freeze. They’ve never had fresh fish before. They also had several cuts of meat I haven’t seen. Few can pay full price for steaks so I guess they went with more affordable proteins.

Gas was up 10cents. I filled the empty containers from the shop (30g). This should get me through most hurricane season.

Last edited:
Got all my chops, steaks and fish vacuum sealed and in the freezer.

Found 2 sm pkg of andouille sausage 12oz each. Somehow they got lost in my fridge. The best if used by date was 16apr22. They were vacuum sealed already. I put them in the freezer anyway. Hopefully they were okay, looked fine though. I plan to use them for gumbo.

I usually buy Conecuh sausage which is the alabama version of andouille (got 3lbs tues). I like it better than products labeled andouille. Hey, Mobile was settle by the french before New Orleans! Most sausages in the deep south could be called andouille, they are just local variations.

Picked up my Azure order today. The gal who runs the drop-off said she's had about 3 new people per month since CV started. I got my sugar finally so am glad for that. Only things left that have been out of stock are Einkorn & Vanilla beans. Otherwise, it's mostly a case of staying stocked on things.

Remember if you run out of space.......bury it. I have close to 300 cans of red salmon buried.

this reminds me of an old guy i know, didnt have much space for storing things so ghe got a buddy to dig a pit, not too deep, and he went to the local dump and picked up 2 old freezers. they were drained of any fluids and he took the racks out and put them in the pit hole her dug. he stored canned goods and some vac sealed things in there. in the ground and fdoor closed, then he put a large piece of thin wood--what do you call that---not dry wall--plywood. he put the plywood down on the top and added a lawn chair or 3.

he said it kept cooler in the ground, he made sure it was all clean and dry and when he needed something or wanted to add, all he had to do was lift the plywood off to get to the buried freezers. he liked it so much he is thinking of adding 2 more. i salways thought that was neat

this reminds me of an old guy i know, didnt have much space for storing things so ghe got a buddy to dig a pit, not too deep, and he went to the local dump and picked up 2 old freezers. they were drained of any fluids and he took the racks out and put them in the pit hole her dug. he stored canned goods and some vac sealed things in there. in the ground and fdoor closed, then he put a large piece of thin wood--what do you call that---not dry wall--plywood. he put the plywood down on the top and added a lawn chair or 3.

he said it kept cooler in the ground, he made sure it was all clean and dry and when he needed something or wanted to add, all he had to do was lift the plywood off to get to the buried freezers. he liked it so much he is thinking of adding 2 more. i salways thought that was neat
That reminds me...

DSCN1358.jpg

DSCN1703.jpg

DSCN1774.jpg

Built trash cans into a hillside for storage.

Mini root cellars.

Ben

Picked up a few 5gal food-grade buckets, mostly to store stuff we can’t grow effectively here like oatmeal and rice. Likely going to make a Costco run for oatmeal and nuts later in the week. I keep a spare bag of most kinds of nuts in the basement freezer; we eat a lot of them.
We do too, have a bunch in one of my freezers! I make my nut mixes and keep some out all the time for an easy grab.

We do too, have a bunch in one of my freezers! I make my nut mixes and keep some out all the time for an easy grab.
I put them on our oatmeal in the morning, and he uses them as snacks all the time, so yeah, right there with you. :) Plus since I’ve had to go dairy-free, I’ve been making vegan cheese out of cashews and pistachios and stuff. It helps to have extra on hand, for sure!

I put them on our oatmeal in the morning, and he uses them as snacks all the time, so yeah, right there with you. :) Plus since I’ve had to go dairy-free, I’ve been making vegan cheese out of cashews and pistachios and stuff. It helps to have extra on hand, for sure!
Great idea! Cashews and pistachios are our favorites!!

I have to ask, am I the only one who has a stock pile of disposable plates, cups, and utensils? I generally try to keep a little over a year's supply of them on hand and while I was buying paper plates the other day I noticed the price went up about 4 fold.

My logic is that if things go south I don't want to waste water washing dishes and I can always burn paper bowls and plates.

You're not the only one. I store alot. And we have to keep up that particular stockpile because the minute we have family come to eat, we go through a stack. Aldi and Walmart prices on the decent paper plates have gone up double. I noticed at a family reunion dinner last night, my cousin had the styrofoam ones out with the partitions for different food in each. I bet she got a box of them somewhere for a good price.

I have to ask, am I the only one who has a stock pile of disposable plates, cups, and utensils? I generally try to keep a little over a year's supply of them on hand and while I was buying paper plates the other day I noticed the price went up about 4 fold.

My logic is that if things go south I don't want to waste water washing dishes and I can always burn paper bowls and plates.
Nope, you're not the only one. I don't know how long my supply would last b/c I rarely use disposables, but we do when we go camping. I also include paper towels, tin foil, parchment paper, and food and trash bags to that category. I stocked up during sales........before this inflation hit.

I just hit the local grocery today and the shrinking packages are astounding. :rolleyes: Swiss cheese is now 6 oz. I wonder when they will all shrink to that size? Honey mustard dip is 14 oz now instead of 16 and $1.25 sale price instead of $1. I also bought a couple family packages of chicken breast for $2.50 per pound. That's not a great price, but I was there, so I bought it b/c we grill more often in the summer to keep the house cool. I spent $50 and walked out with 3 bags (could've fit in 2) of groceries.:mad:

I'm still keeping my eye out for sales and will pounce if anything good pops up. Still waiting on a good Memorial Day sale for charcoal!

We have some, but I need to get more, I think. Should check my stock.

I keep a decent stash of them. We have the kids and grandkids over at least a couple times a week, we homeschool and work from home so everyone is eating here all day and I don’t want to wash all those plates. 🤣 I have enough plates, etc if it ever comes to that but I sure like my disposable plates. I haven’t bought any in a few weeks so I haven’t seen the prices recently.

I keep a decent stash of them. We have the kids and grandkids over at least a couple times a week, we homeschool and work from home so everyone is eating here all day and I don’t want to wash all those plates. 🤣 I have enough plates, etc if it ever comes to that but I sure like my disposable plates. I haven’t bought any in a few weeks so I haven’t seen the prices recently.

I wouldn't wash all those dishes either. In my house, anyone that dirties a dish, washes that dish. No one is overly burdened.

Back