Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband doesn't maneuver the stairs often either, and the old basement he doesn't even try. I do have a seat down there for him when he does go to the new basement. Have to put the freeze dryer down there, and it's not set up yet, and mechanical stuff is not my cup of tea. So now I have to get him down there.
As far as "what's to eat", he does not want to see inventory, just wants me to cook what he wants. We have 3 small freezers in different places. I've yet to see him look in any of them. Your wife does cook, so it would be helpful to have one she has access to.

Got my beef lined up for autumn butcher ☺ I am very thankful for that. He said he thinks it was about 15 c. more per pound than last year. It's been the same for the past 3 years anyways so I can't complain especially considering current prices. Also, butcher shop is already lined up 🙏 Ever grateful.

Last weekend we had a fiber-optic cable cut/damaged so the whole area was without internet for about 48 hours. Cash only at the small towns for gas and goods. Just a reminder to always carry some cash and a means to protect it.
Note: I almost died due to lack of internet news :)

How true. We had some issues this past weekend with that same thing. Gas stations in the area. Cash only for purchasing. Real pain. Always have cash just in case.

This morning I hit walmart for some canned goods, pasta, and such.. They were well stocked except for Pasta, they had some just not much. I also visited their canning area, I picked up a year's supply of lids based on what we canned last year. That wiped out their wide mouth lids and put a good dent in the regular ones too. I didn't even look at their meats.

I on the way there I noticed something in the big parking lot next to Target. There were either 3 or 4 rows of 40' shipping containers, 20 of them side by side in each row.... so between 60 an 80 shipping containers, that's a lot of containers to just park. The only thing that makes any sense would be if they were planning to empty the store for remodeling or closure.

This morning I hit walmart for some canned goods, pasta, and such.. They were well stocked except for Pasta, they had some just not much. I also visited their canning area, I picked up a year's supply of lids based on what we canned last year. That wiped out their wide mouth lids and put a good dent in the regular ones too. I didn't even look at their meats.

I on the way there I noticed something in the big parking lot next to Target. There were either 3 or 4 rows of 40' shipping containers, 20 of them side by side in each row.... so between 60 an 80 shipping containers, that's a lot of containers to just park. The only thing that makes any sense would be if they were planning to empty the store for remodeling or closure.

IIRC Curmudgeon mention something about that a while back. No idea what thread it was in.

IIRC Curmudgeon mention something about that a while back. No idea what thread it was in.
Yes, I remembered seeing it but don't know where (it must be related to my keys). Anyway I brought it up because I don't think it is a "local" event but something much wider in process.

Well I have been thinking and holding off, but right now my thinking ranchers are about to be pushed into selling their herds in mass and chickens will be following closely behind. So I figure 3-6 months of cheap(er) meat is coming our way followed by a swing in the other direction.

With that in mind I ordered the new freezer for our frozen pantry, I went with a larger one than we needed but I think it will allow me to take advantage of any opportunities I run across in the future. Tonight for supper we had a tray of venison stew topped with drop biscuits, one of our home made frozen dinners. ;) Having more freezer space will allow us to increase the variety and quantity of these jewels.

@UrbanHunter, I'm with you - I want more space in the freezers. In our case, I don't think another freezer is the way to go - we already have 3 (small, medium, large). But I want to can some of the meet in order to 1. be shelf stable, and 2. have more room in the freezers to take advantage of good buys when they show up. I think your point on an influx of meat, followed by scarcity, is a valid one.

@LadyLocust, that is NOT silly at all! Those things are hugely important!

I need to go through our freezers. 25 meat chickens arrive next week, and after 7 weeks, they'll need to fit in the freezer. Or something.
I had to laugh at the chicken at Aldi today. First, there wasn't much at all. They had chicken breast bone in, 2 in a package. Limit two packages. That would not feed our family for one dinner.

This one probably sounds a little silly but got Hubby more industrial boot laces today along with more boot seal. Prolonging the life of what we have just makes the preps last that much longer.
What laces does he use? I can't seem to keep a pair of laces in my boots for more than 6 months, and it's driving me crazy. I've bought 3 different industrial/military spec sets of laces that have all died more quickly than the off the shelf ones at WalMart. I'd love to find some that actually last!

Well I have been thinking and holding off, but right now my thinking ranchers are about to be pushed into selling their herds in mass and chickens will be following closely behind. So I figure 3-6 months of cheap(er) meat is coming our way followed by a swing in the other direction.

With that in mind I ordered the new freezer for our frozen pantry, I went with a larger one than we needed but I think it will allow me to take advantage of any opportunities I run across in the future. Tonight for supper we had a tray of venison stew topped with drop biscuits, one of our home made frozen dinners. ;) Having more freezer space will allow us to increase the variety and quantity of these jewels.
Got more space than food to fill it, add in some water filled bottles. Takes up the space to keep it running efficiently and contributes to your water storage.

Got more space than food to fill it, add in some water filled bottles. Takes up the space to keep it running efficiently and contributes to your water storage.
And if the SHTF you have plenty of ice to keep coolers cold for a while... We routinely did this when we lived in the midwest and had multi-day power outages. Only opened the fridge/freezer once a day, kept everything we'd need that day in a cooler. Only needed to run the generator 3-4 hours a day to keep them cool that way.

What laces does he use? I can't seem to keep a pair of laces in my boots for more than 6 months, and it's driving me crazy. I've bought 3 different industrial/military spec sets of laces that have all died more quickly than the off the shelf ones at WalMart. I'd love to find some that actually last!
These seem to last the longest so far. Not cheap, but at least they don't break as often.
IMG_4661.jpg

So I went to 3 stores today. The last one hardly counts - it was just for Hubby's chips. The price is the same but smaller bags :(
First stop was for a specific item, wheat. I saw they still had it the other day and it's been nagging me to get more while they have it so I did - not sure where I'll put it 😂 Second stop was for more maple syrup, the real stuff and got two more bags of basmati rice since I was there. Rice was the only thing I really noticed in short supply but wasn't surprised by that. I don't wander up and down isles since I don't care to go shopping anyways so don't know about other areas of the stores.

I picked up the new freezer today and the wife is not happy, it's too big... It fits in the space I targeted and has the same footprint that the chair I used to "imagine" how tight it would be, but sitting there it looks bigger now.... The good news is tomorrow morning I can pick up some meat and frozen food. I may start loading it in earnest tomorrow afternoon, I want to save the morning for working outside. ;)

Next week I have to attend in-person meetings and it will result in about 15 days of quarantine for me, being able to pre-stage meals and frozen foods where she can get to them easily is more important than ever. In the end it will give her more control and it will grow on her, but for now it is new and big and white. ;)

I got the last 2 boxes of half gallon canning jars today so that made my day. Picked up 25# of beans and 25# of organic wheat. Also hit a thrift shop for some tops for me. My t's that I've had since the beginning of time are beginning to show signs of wear like holes and stains 😂 I think I got 8 that fit and 2 that I have to take back. Will take them back in the morning and hit Wmart for some DEF to have on hand for Hubby's pick up. Also want to find a cap (for the top) and a hose and nozzle for the new fuel tank so we can get it filled ASAP. Trying to think of everything we might possibly need before they nix all the truckers.

Yes, I remembered seeing it but don't know where (it must be related to my keys). Anyway I brought it up because I don't think it is a "local" event but something much wider in process.

I have been seeing this “large containers parked” at our local Walmart for over 3 months. I assumed it was a holiday materials being transferred in and out. Now I’m wondering. We had huge gaps in pasta and other areas yesterday when I shopped for our church food pantry.

And amazingly all of the things I usually buy only had one or two packages deep on the shelves. Shows me people are trying to live on Chef Boyardee, cheap tuna, etc.

I bought many cases of everything which I normally don’t do
1. because I don’t want to keep shopping every week for the food pantry and
2. I’m worried they’ll run out.
But with a monthly full budget of only $200 for the food pantry you can imagine the difficulty in food shopping right now.

Last edited:
I have been seeing this “large containers parked” at our local Walmart for over 3 months. I assumed it was a holiday materials being transferred in and out. Now I’m wondering. We had huge gaps in pasta and other areas yesterday when I shopped for our church food pantry.

And amazingly all of the things I usually buy only had one or two packages deep on the shelves. Shows me people are trying to live on Chef Boyardee, cheap tuna, etc.

I bought many cases of everything which I normally don’t do
1. because I don’t want to keep shopping every week for the food pantry and
2. I’m worried they’ll run out.
But with a monthly full budget of only $200 for the food pantry you can imagine the difficulty in food shopping right now.
I heard/read/saw ??? Wmart is expecting the upcoming shortages so trying to get as much in the stores now as possible. If things get ugly they will go to curbside pickup only. They are already planning for extra security. Not sure this entirely goes in this thread, but sure is encouragement to stock up now while we can.
I added DEF and tennis shoes to the stocks as well as a few more seeds.

I heard/read/saw ??? Wmart is expecting the upcoming shortages so trying to get as much in the stores now as possible. If things get ugly they will go to curbside pickup only. They are already planning for extra security. Not sure this entirely goes in this thread, but sure is encouragement to stock up now while we can.
I added DEF and tennis shoes to the stocks as well as a few more seeds.
It's a good reminder to look ahead a few weeks/months and get it while it's there! I was thinking we had everything we could need (no more room anywhere in our house for canned or dry goods), but talking with my wife about it all realized we are due for new batteries for our emergency & bugout flashlights and will start rotating out our stored gas in a while, so want to get some fuel stabilizer now while we can!

I dragged 2 legs of lamb and a beef roast out of the freezer to defrost overnight so I can dice them up and can them tomorrow.
I'm going to keep canning until that 9 liter bottle of propane is empty or I run out of jars.
It's almost empty anyway and I would rather empty it now while propane is still available and I can re-fill it.
No point having a huge propane bottle sitting around quarter full when I got two chest freezers of food I need to can.

From everything I'm hearing from different sources we've got about til July 4th before it slides into the blades.

I'm buying another ton of fire wood and I'm going to be stacking it under my house next pension.
No one's going to tell me I can't have firewood and if they want to find it they'll have to crawl under the house with all the dangerous wildlife to see let alone remove it.

I brought two 60 amp resetable Circuit Breakers for my solar system. They're the barrel types that will be less likely to snag on things.
I have yet to do a dry run to iron out the kinks so that will be a must while we still have shipping, solar system parts and power.

I have two deep cell / deep cycle (?) batteries and one of them is a 140 and the other is a 145..I have no idea which is which or how to even tell.
Thye both look exactly the same.

Back