Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been super busy working out on the property trying to get stuff put together and moved back now that the wetlands have dried up.
Our stuff is mostly on hold due to space and storage limitations. We got the sawmill delivered and are setting it up now on the property. Once that is done we should be able to fall some trees and start processing lumber. Hoping our well can be dug in the next couple of weeks.
When the well is done we can pull our RV back there. The other option is to get a large water storage container and draw from that (and get water delivered). We may do that if it's going to be much longer. Bikers are back on 8/15 in the RV park so we have big hopes it can be done before then. Apparently they are off partying in Idaho somewhere.
Also working on fire control. There is a fairly large fire that is burning a few miles to the south of us. Hopefully it won't reach our place.

Bought myself chaps when I turned 50. Realized my reflexes are not what they were at 25.

I make a rule to never operate a tool in such a way that my reflexes are what prevent injury. IMO, you've already failed if what saves you, is your ability to move out of the way fast enough....all that means in my book, is that you where somewhere you shouldn't have been.
In my experience, the #1 people F up with chainsaws, is that they get lazy. They know they should move to the other side of the tree or whatever to make the cut so that their body is not in the way, but they don't want to change their stance, so instead they try cut with the back of the blade when they shouldn't, or cross their arms, or stick their foot under the log because its easier to balance that way and count on just pulling it out of the way in time, or hold it one handed because they can reach higher that way...

Been super busy working out on the property trying to get stuff put together and moved back now that the wetlands have dried up.
Our stuff is mostly on hold due to space and storage limitations. We got the sawmill delivered and are setting it up now on the property. Once that is done we should be able to fall some trees and start processing lumber. Hoping our well can be dug in the next couple of weeks.
When the well is done we can pull our RV back there. The other option is to get a large water storage container and draw from that (and get water delivered). We may do that if it's going to be much longer. Bikers are back on 8/15 in the RV park so we have big hopes it can be done before then. Apparently they are off partying in Idaho somewhere.
Also working on fire control. There is a fairly large fire that is burning a few miles to the south of us. Hopefully it won't reach our place.
Back lash is likely right. Bikers are doing Sturgis SD right about now.
Good to see you back on. And glad things are progressing well.

AngieNrs, great tip on using a chain saw. You are 100% correct on the danger zone. Glad you work with someone around. I almost never will use mine if the wife ain't home. She rarely is out with me when cutting, but I want her in the house if I need her. Had to cut a large dead tree this spring. She stayed out on the porch for the entire process till I had it on the ground. Just another set of eyes to watch for something is important, even if they aren't out there lending a hand.

I make a rule to never operate a tool in such a way that my reflexes are what prevent injury. IMO, you've already failed if what saves you, is your ability to move out of the way fast enough....all that means in my book, is that you where somewhere you shouldn't have been.
In my experience, the #1 people F up with chainsaws, is that they get lazy. They know they should move to the other side of the tree or whatever to make the cut so that their body is not in the way, but they don't want to change their stance, so instead they try cut with the back of the blade when they shouldn't, or cross their arms, or stick their foot under the log because its easier to balance that way and count on just pulling it out of the way in time, or hold it one handed because they can reach higher that way...

Or keep cutting when they are tired and should stop to rest for a while

Was concerned about kickback, thats the main reason for getting chaps, safety is more of a priority now that I am older. Been running saws for over 40 years and thought it was time to step up safety. And I also work alone, not the best situation but the only option most days.

Was concerned about kickback, thats the main reason for getting chaps, safety is more of a priority now that I am older. Been running saws for over 40 years and thought it was time to step up safety. And I also work alone, not the best situation but the only option most days.
Might want to get a helmet too then.

A lot of kickback injuries are on the head.

Might want to get a helmet too then.

A lot of kickback injuries are on the head.
Yes, mine was. I was cutting a roof off from inside and it kicked into my forehead. I dropped the saw and headed to the hospital. Grabbed a fistful of snow off a handrail and slapped it on my forehead. When that melted I grabbed another fistful of snow. It had mostly quit bleeding by the time I got to my truck. Then again it could have been all the cussing that cauterised the wound.

I always use the top of the blade to cut brush. The bottom of the blade can grab the brush and pull you into the saw.

My pathfinder kit just turned up.
I'm extremely happy with the heft and quality of everything in the kit including the bag.
The kit is quite weighty but it'll def stand up to long continual use.
Money well spent!
Screenshot 2022-08-05 1.47.51 PM.png

Last edited:
I bought it from a survival store here in Australia.
This brand is extremely popular there in America so google search or even Amazon would yield good results.
Excellent, I’ll take a poke around Amazon. Qwant wasn’t being helpful last night, it found me similar things but not that thing in specific.

Last night, I moved 1 of each of our canned quick meals up to the kitchen cupboard (there wasn't room in the pantry). I also conducted an inventory of our remaining canned quick meals. We are preparing to start canning and with the wife's health we will be using our stock pile of frozen and canned quick meals so we don't have to cook while we are canning.

Right now we are making a prioritization list of what to can first... It looks like we will be doing stewed/diced tomatoes followed by minestrone soup (to use the cabbage and squash), then beets. We have a lot of green beans but we have lots of canned from last year so we will be doing the blanch, shock, and freeze storage method for them (the wife likes the flavor better).

Once we have the garden output under control we will moving to canning our quick meals, I figure we have 8 items and we will be doing a flat or two of each. I think we will be using the chicken and beef stock we canned last year in our new canning projects.

Once the canning is under control we will move to making frozen dinners in 8"X8" stainless steel pans. 2 years ago we settled on a size and I was "encouraged" to get 16 stacking pans. As we use them they fit in the cupboard and then once frozen they stack well in the freezers, once filled we pre-freeze them on a level surface in the freezer, then wrap and label including date and cooking instructions.

I put it in soups. Or rehydrate it, put it in a fry pan and fry it up with sausage and onion
Ok next question…does it smell while dehydrating like it does when cooking?

I live in about 500 square feet so I’m always cautious about cooking odors. Sometimes you don’t want to wake up in the middle of the night and smell something cooking.

Can you run a cord and use the dehydrator on the porch or in a garage? Maybe even a pop up tent might do.
I dried onions in the cabin last year, small area. To me it smelled wonderful. Lasted a couple of weeks?
I could put in downstairs in the garage (I live above) but most likely I'll do what I always do and "suck it up, buttercup" and just deal with it.

I actually love it when the apartment smells like food--reminds me of my grandmother who lived here before me. Only problem is it makes me hungry. LOL

Funny and wonderful story (and completely off topic) when I go away for an extended period of time and return home, my place smells like MaMa has been here cooking. Cooking things I don't--like her veal and noodle stew and chicken fricassee. She's been gone 28 years and it still happens. I just wish she'd leave the recipes behind when she's done. No one in the family has them.

I could put in downstairs in the garage (I live above) but most likely I'll do what I always do and "suck it up, buttercup" and just deal with it.

I actually love it when the apartment smells like food--reminds me of my grandmother who lived here before me. Only problem is it makes me hungry. LOL

Funny and wonderful story (and completely off topic) when I go away for an extended period of time and return home, my place smells like MaMa has been here cooking. Cooking things I don't--like her veal and noodle stew and chicken fricassee. She's been gone 28 years and it still happens. I just wish she'd leave the recipes behind when she's done. No one in the family has them.
So are we calling you buttercup now??😁 I'll let Elkie know!!😃

I dropped my phone and the face cracked.

I had a moment of real panic thinking I had killed it - that happens a lot with my electronics.
They lose the will to live just after I buy them and suicide.

I've decided that, with things getting hectic around Taiwan I better get my electronics stockpile sorted.
I'm going to buy two 'cheaper than chips' Konka phones and put each into a double anti-static bag and put them away.
These are a good cheap little G4 phones that have wifi spot hot capability.
The wifi hot spot is lockable with a password so only your designated receiving device - laptop or tablet can use the hot spot and not anyone else in the area.
It also has a wifi blocking capability and tells you how many devices are connected to the phones wifi and what the make and model is.

I hate the darn things BUT I use my phone as wifi hot spot for my laptop.
I get an extremely good deal on an unlocked pre-paid mobile phone plan that gives me 42gb of data every 30 days.
So my phone and internet bill is one payment of $270 for the entire year!
I've been on this plan for over 3 years and the new plan purchase comes around late December.

When I go shopping I bring my old Nokia dumb flip phone that you can't download apps onto.
No QR tracking apps for me thanks.

Latest posts

Back